Rome Airport

Old August 12th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Bobbiegib

Default Rome Airport

I will be flying into the Rome airport (da Vinci) in mid-September. Could
anyone clue me in on transportation to the city center.
I have heard that there is a train but is that right at the airport or is it a
hastle to get to. How long is that whole trip. What about the cost.
I am thinking about taking a cab just to save time as that day should also be a
sightseeing day for me and I don't want to waste time. What can I expect to pay
for that?
Are there other options?
Thanks for any help,
Bob
Old August 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
Bobbiegib typed:

I will be flying into the Rome airport (da Vinci) in
mid-September.
Could anyone clue me in on transportation to the city center.
I have heard that there is a train but is that right at the
airport

Yes.

or is it a hastle to get to.

Very easy.

How long is that whole trip.

I don't remember exactly, but I think around 45 minutes. Check
this with others though.

What about
the cost.

Again, I'm not sure I remember correctly, but I think it's 13
Euros. Check what I say.

I am thinking about taking a cab just to save time as that day
should
also be a sightseeing day for me and I don't want to waste
time. What
can I expect to pay for that?

About 50 Euros.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
GG

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
In ,
Bobbiegib typed:

[...]

The train takes 30-35 minutes. The taxi may well take more time than the
train depending on traffic.

GG

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
GG

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
In ,
Bobbiegib typed:

Old August 12th, 2004, 09:21 PM
GG

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
In ,
Bobbiegib typed:

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:06 PM
Ken Blake

In ,
GG typed:

"Ken Blake" wrote in message

I am thinking about taking a cab just to save time as that
day
should
also be a sightseeing day for me and I don't want to waste
time. What
can I expect to pay for that?

About 50 Euros.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

The train takes 30-35 minutes. The taxi may well take more
time than
the train depending on traffic.

On the other hand, the taxi will take you directly to your hotel.
If you take the train, you still need to take a taxi, bus, or
Metro (or walk) to your hotel. On balance, the taxi from the
airport probably ends being faster.

The OP should also note that when comparing prices, he should add
the cost of the taxi (or other transportation) from Stazione
Termini to his hotel. If there are two people, the cost of the
taxi in the first place may not be very much more than two train
rides plus a taxi to the hotel.

Old August 12th, 2004, 10:08 PM
Poetic Justice

Bobbiegib wrote:
I will be flying into the Rome airport (da
Vinci) in mid-September. Could anyone
clue me in on transportation to the city
center. I have heard that there is a train
but is that right at the airport or is it a
hastle to get to. How long is that whole
trip. What about the cost.

For an 'I' rather than a 'We', the train & taxi combo is a cheaper
option.
For 2 people it's still cheaper but figure with the train (=809.5 each
so =8019), with a couple of pieces of luggage (=802+) and the base rate
(=802-3), you're looking at ~ =8024 before the taxi even leaves the
stand.
I assume you'll be arriving at Terminal C (International Arrivals).
The Train Station is directly across the street (100M). Exit Customs
into the Arrivals Hall and go left, in a short distance you will see an
escalator going down, that will take you under the street and over to
the station. Also there are signs in English and in Italian, it's
'treni' IIRC.
Don't wait in the ticket queue, instead go to the newstand next to the
ticket booths for your ticket (=809.5).
There are only 3 tracks, you'll want Track 1 and the sign will say
'Destinazione Roma Termini'.
Validate your ticket in one of the 'yellow boxes' on the platform. Go
to the far end of the train, this will put you ahead of the herd when
you arrive at Termini.
Sit on the left side of the train, after you cross the Tiber River you
will catch glimpses of a few sites (city walls, aqueducts, gates and
even a pyramid.
The journey takes 32min and then a long hike into the main part of the
station.
You arrive at Track 26, if you can handle your luggage easily and want
to take a chance for a taxi. Go down the stairs at the head of the track
and then outside, there is a taxi stand there but it's 50-50 whether
there will be a taxi there.
Or just head towards the main part of the station with the herd but
don't take the moving walkway that goes downstairs. Instead just keep
walking alongside the train tracks until you see a doorway on your left
(the sign above reads something like 'Assistanci Clientele', exit there
and then exit to the sidewalk outside (very easy you'll see the sidewalk
from the doorway). Just follow the sidewalk in the same direction as you
were going and you'll come across a taxis parked alongside the station.
Or just go to main taxi stand 50m in front of the station and wait in
the queue/line with everyone else.
And of course watch out for the illegal taxidrivers, the legal taxis
will be white, new & clean, with a taxi sign on top and sign on the
doors saying 'Commune d Roma' with their taxi license number like 'L.C.
1234'.

I am thinking about taking a cab just to
save time as that day should also be a
sightseeing day for me and I don't want to
waste time. What can I expect to pay for
that?

It's been awhile since I took an airport taxi but =8045-50 seems to be
the price that's usually posted by others.

Are there other options?

There was a shuttle bus that hit the hotels for =8010.5 but now the
price for a single is I believe =8020 or more. In the Arrivals Hall look
for the 'Hotel Reservations' desk and the 'CON.CO.R.A.' desk, they might
have the fare posted or just ask. But remember you might have to wait if
the next bus is booked-up (every 30min), ask first when your bus will be
leaving. IMO it was a good deal @ =8010.5, I had to wait 45min, then do
other airport pick-ups and my hotel was the last stop. But now at twice
the price you might as well do the train & taxi.
The better option over an airport-hotel taxi is a limo and usually
cheaper. I have used this company twice and it's get alot of raves on
the Fodor's Forum www.limoservicerome.com.
Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...