Stop-over in Vancouver?

Old January 26th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Dennis McCrohan

Default Stop-over in Vancouver?

Hi-

We're looking to fly from Seattle to Bejing in April. Right now, there
are no direct flights from Seattle. So we have a choice of stop-overs,
depending on airline of San Francisco, Tokyo, or Vancouver. At the
moment, Vancouver is the cheapest flight by a little.

However, I've heard that going thru Vancouver from the USA is not a good
idea as you have to clear Canadian customs&immigration when the commuter
flight lands in Vancouver. I guess it must be that Vancouver doesn't
have a separate international terminal? Anyway, my wife asked the travel
agent about this, and the agent claimed that only your person has to go
thru customs, not your luggage, which can be checked thru to Bejing. I
find this somewhat hard to believe, since while Immigration may be
interested in you, customs is usually a lot more interested in your
luggage...

So can anybody confirm for us what this agent said is true? If it's not,
I'd rather not have to deal with the headache of having to collect our
luggage and go thru customs with it.

Thanks,

-dm

Old January 26th, 2005, 09:39 AM
george

I don't know what would happen transiting Canada at Vancouver, but
transiting through Chicago from Frankfurt to Vancouver you have to go
through both US immigration and customs (even through-checked baggage)
in Chicago. Certainly, returning, you will have to go through US
customs and immigration in Vancouver.

George

Old January 26th, 2005, 04:29 PM
....Ken

"Dennis McCrohan" wrote in message
[...]

You will have no problem. Your luggage will be checked through and Canadian
Customs has no interest in it because the luggage is not accessible. Canada
Customs also has no real interest in you as you have an onward ticket and
not remaining in Canada. Try to remember...Canada is not the U.S., they do
not see terrorists lurking behing each potted plant....well, unless you
happen to be a Sikh terrorist with a rap sheet.

.......Ken

Old January 27th, 2005, 01:21 PM
thegoons

I flew from Honolulu-Vancouver-Frankfurt-London with a on day stopover in
Vancouver, and few hours in Frankfurt. Never saw my suitcase again until I
arrived in London. I was queried about the short stay and lack of baggage,
but no dramas.

The best idea is to check with the baggage carousel staff as you walk past
in Vancouver, tell them your connecting flight details and ask them if your
suitcase should make it OK. If not, there are some baggage storage
facilities i the terminal building.

Cheers!

Old January 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
Dennis McCrohan wrote:

Hi-

We're looking to fly from Seattle to Bejing in April. Right now, there
are no direct flights from Seattle. So we have a choice of stop-overs,
depending on airline of San Francisco, Tokyo, or Vancouver. At the
moment, Vancouver is the cheapest flight by a little.

However, I've heard that going thru Vancouver from the USA is not a good
idea as you have to clear Canadian customs&immigration when the commuter

There used to be some sort of sterile transit for U.S.= int'l flights
so you don't have to go through Canadian immigration. The flights do
use the same terminal at YVR. Not sure if this is still in effect (I've
never used it myself and haven't been making observations).

have a look at www.yvr.ca