Flying and crusing swollen feet

Old November 7th, 2003, 12:11 AM
Marcia Brown

Default Flying and crusing swollen feet

Any remedies!!!

Old November 7th, 2003, 12:28 AM

Support socks help. Walking around helps. Not drinking booze helps.

BTW, your feet swell on cruises? why?

Paul

"Marcia Brown" wrote in message
Any remedies!!!

Old November 7th, 2003, 01:28 AM
Howard Garland

Marcia Brown wrote:

Any remedies!!!

Walk, walk, walk!

Howard

Old November 7th, 2003, 02:04 AM
Rich Cacace

More than likely is the amount of salt they use when preparing the meals.
You could always ask for a low salt meal & then add salt to your taste.

Old November 7th, 2003, 02:06 AM
S.J. Warren

Avoid salt as much as possible.....last year after 3 days of misery from
swollen feet on the cruise I started being more selective in what I ate,
and that made a huge difference.

When flying, and really all the time, you should drink alot of
water.....the more you drink, the better your system eliminates
fluid....if you don't drink alot, your body retains fluid like crazy and
you end up with swollen ankles and feet. As much as I hate to drink
alot on flights, I make myself do it, to avoid water retention.

I am only 5'3", 120 lbs, but nevertheless, this has always been a
problem for me too....can be very painful and really make your cruise
uncomfortable.....

Susan

Old November 7th, 2003, 02:14 AM
EileenMcDonald

BTW, your feet swell on cruises? why?

Two reasons, they swell from the heat and humidity in the Carribean.

Also the food on cruise ships is cooked with a ton of salt.

I don't believe that. One, we stay 5 days post-cruise in FLL, just as hot
and humid as the Caribbean. And, 2, I put salt on potato chips, I put salt
on every, single bite of my food, AFTER salting it when it's first put on
the plate.
My swollen feet disappear the day after (and, generally, start shrinking by
the night of disembarkation) the cruise. I also drink alcohol post-cruise,
too.
The only thing that seems to help is a daily visit to the ships sauna and
steam room... gets rid of the fluid....'course, it DOES come back, again,
the next day. You need to visit daily.

Eileen

---

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:04 AM

OK, makes sense. I'm one of those strange people who does not associate
cruising with the Caribbean. Does not the cruise line(s) you use offer a low
sodium option? Doesn't help with the humidity obviously. grin

Paul

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" wrote in message

Support socks help. Walking around helps. Not drinking booze helps.

BTW, your feet swell on cruises? why?

Two reasons, they swell from the heat and humidity in the Carribean.
Also the food on cruise ships is cooked with a ton of salt.

sue

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:07 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Rich Cacace wrote:
More than likely is the amount of salt they use when preparing the meals.
You could always ask for a low salt meal & then add salt to your taste.

If you ask for a low salt meal, they will tell you to use the "light"
choice. IME the light choice not only isn't always good, it also isn't
low enough in salt. For a number of years I told them I needed a
"no-salt" diet and they prepared food specially for me. It helped a lot.

sue

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:11 AM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

CupCaked wrote:
Sue and Kevin Mullen wrote:

wrote:

BTW, your feet swell on cruises? why?

Two reasons, they swell from the heat and humidity in the Carribean.
Also the food on cruise ships is cooked with a ton of salt.

Same can be said for summer in North Jersey. . . heat, humidity and
salty food, plus more booze than usual. Has nothing to do with being
on a ship.

At home you don't eat out in a restaurant every night or every meal.
When you are on a ship, you eat their food for all your meals and the
extra salt adds up. I will sometimes get swollen feet when eating out,
but it goes down overnight because it is just one meal.

sue