Excursions in Peru and Ecuador and Costa Rica

Old September 17th, 2008, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

Default Excursions in Peru and Ecuador and Costa Rica

We are going to be on a 26 day HAL cruise on the Statendam which goes
from Ft. Lauderdale on Nov 10 through the canal and back. I've been
researching ports, and I've been trying to figure out what I CAN do
and whether it coincides with what I WANT to do.

We are going to be on the Pacific side of South America from November
19 to November 29. Of course what I'd love to do is visit Manchu
Picchu and/or the Galapagos. But for the former, I'm a little afraid
of the altitude and more afraid of the climbing around exertion. Also
any of the excursions of this type (also the ones to the Amazon, to
Lake Titicaca) involve a flight and three days away from the ship. Bob
doesn't want to fly and I'm sure he wouldn't want to pay twice for
accommodations for the same period of time.

Anyway most of the tours I've picked are minimal exertion tours
mostly. This is what I've decided on.

There are two problem tours - the Trujillo tour and one of the Costa
Rica tours.

Day 10 Manta, Ecuador
Wednesday, Nov 19, 2008 6:00 am - 7:00 pm

Fine Panama Hats approx. 2.5 hours starting 2:30pm - easy

Day 12 Salaverry, Trujillo, Peru
Friday, Nov 21, 2008 5:30 am - 5:00 pm

Historic Trujillo & Paso Horses 5 Hours 9:10 am

This is listed as a moderately strenuous tour, but I don't know why
because we don't ride the horses - we just look at them. Has anyone
taken it? Does anyone know why? Is it a walking tour through
Trujillo?

Day 13 Callao (Lima) Peru
Saturday, Nov 22, 2008 arrive 10:00 am

Wildlife-Lovers' Paradise (really looking forward to this)
Approximately 3 Hours leaving 9:10 am- easy

Day 14 Callao (Lima) Peru
Sunday, Nov 23, 2008

Gold Museum & Ancient Treasures 4.5 hours 9:00 a.m.-easy

Day 15 Callao (Lima) Peru
Monday, Nov 24, 2008 Leave port 5:00 pm

Lima Highlights 4 hours 9:00 a.m- easy

Day 17 Guayaquil, Ecuador
Wednesday, Nov 26, 2008 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Guayaquil City & Historical Park Approximately 5 1/2 hours 10:30 -
easy

Day 21 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica
Sunday, Nov 30, 2008 6:00 am - 5:00 pm

The Tortuguero Canals 7:00am Approximately 4 1/4 hours - easy
Rain Forest Canopy Adventure 12:00pm Approximately 4 1/4 hours

I have a dilemma here. Bob really wants to do the zip line (and I do
too), and I really want to see the canals of Toruguero again.

I talked to the HAL person on the phone and she could not tell me why
the zip line tour would be strenuous. I suspect it is partly that
some people have a problem with heights. I don't, even though I have
occasional vertigo.

Has anyone done this Costa Rican tour who could tell me if there is
any other reason why I would not be able to do it other than the
ability to climb a ladder with 170 steps or whatever it is? Because I
want to do this enough that I would do the climb even if my knees
hurt. Would I hold other people up and make it a problem for them?
Because if I would, I would let Bob go by himself or I would go last.

Does anyone have any other advise or suggestions for tours for these
ports?
Old September 17th, 2008, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
rieker

Of course what I'd love to do is visit Manchu
Picchu and/or the Galapagos. But for the former, I'm a little afraid
of the altitude and more afraid of the climbing around exertion.

I understand that you have other issues, but I would tell you that Machu
Picchu is 7700 ft. above sea level which is a little higher than Denver. It
is really not bad.

The problem place is Cuzco, where you start the train trip to Machu Picchu.
It is about 11,000 ft. I exited the plane we came in on and wham...instant
headache!

It went away and we had a nice time. My wife needed supplemental oxygen,
provided by the hotel, for a few minutes at supper, but not for long term.

One thing about thin air with little oxygen...it is easy to fall asleep!!

Old September 18th, 2008, 01:12 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
kayc

Hi Rosalie: I did the zip line in Costa Rica a few years ago and I was 70
+. It was great fun, and I don't remember it as being particularly
strenuous. There may be a few steps up to a platform, but nothing very
difficult. The guides are very helpful, and I'm sure you two would enjoy
it. Kay C.

Old September 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Rosalie B.

"kayc" wrote:

Hi Rosalie: I did the zip line in Costa Rica a few years ago and I was 70
+. It was great fun, and I don't remember it as being particularly
strenuous. There may be a few steps up to a platform, but nothing very
difficult. The guides are very helpful, and I'm sure you two would enjoy
it. Kay C.

Thanks Kay - that's what I wanted to know.

.. .