9 days Cairns

Old May 18th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Steve Gerdemann

Default 9 days Cairns

We have a 9 nights in July planned in the Cairns area. So far we are
planning to spend

3 days and one night on the reef
One day on the Atherton Tableland – is the Train Skyrail worth it?
Day trip to Cape Tribulation
Mossman Gorge - can you get here in a rental car?
Tjapukai Aboriginal Cultural Center.

Are there any other "must sees"?
I understand the Cairns terminal for the Skyrail is 15 km out of town,
if you do the train Sky rail combo to Kuranda How do you get back to
town?

Thanks
Steve Gerdemann
Old May 18th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Ross

Take the train up and the Skyrail down or the Skyrail up and the train down.
You bet it's worth it.

Mossman Gorge is easily visited by rental car.

Be a little cautious when you enter the national park gate as the last bit
road in is narrow. Let common sense prevail.

By the way. If you do take the Skyrail or the train to Kurandah, sure, you
will be ON the Atherton Tableland but you will not have SEEN the tableland.

The last time we went north we spent 10 nights on the tableland - yes, there
is that much to see and do.

We even visited Chillagoe for a night. Chillagoe is the only place in Oz
you will find marble.

From Mareeba in the North to Ravenshoe in the south and Atherton and
Herberton in between - there is a lot to see just in that small area.

Ross

m...

Old May 18th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Jan

Are there any other "must sees"?
I understand the Cairns terminal for the Skyrail is 15 km out of town,
if you do the train Sky rail combo to Kuranda How do you get back to
town?

You could do a Organised tour from Cairns to Kuranda, we just caught a
public bus, far, far cheaper and much more fun.
Catch the train up the hill and the Sky rail down.
Take your swimming stuff with you. The " Bottom Pub" has a swimming pool.

Jan