Tech advice - Munging email addresses in Agent?

Old March 14th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Keith Anderson

Default Tech advice - Munging email addresses in Agent?

I'll soon be getting rid of my current steam-driven system (Win 98 and
dialup) and moving to braodband. I'll take the opportunity of changing
my email address as well.

Tried munging my current email address in Agent but it comes back at
me as "invalid email address".

How do I do it please (I'm assuming it's possibe?).

Thanks in advance.

Keith in Bristol UK - technical klutz)
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:48 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Keith Anderson wrote:

I'll soon be getting rid of my current steam-driven system (Win 98 and
dialup) and moving to braodband. I'll take the opportunity of changing
my email address as well.

Tried munging my current email address in Agent but it comes back at
me as "invalid email address".

How do I do it please (I'm assuming it's possibe?).

I don't think you can munge for sending email. I never tried, because
I have no reason to. But if, as I sometimes do, I attempt to send an
email using the munged address which I have for usenet participation,
I get a similar response to that which you report.

But you can munge for posting to usenet, which is probably more useful
to you.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old March 14th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:48:48 +0000, Padraig Breathnach
wrote:

Keith Anderson wrote:

I'll soon be getting rid of my current steam-driven system (Win 98 and
dialup) and moving to braodband. I'll take the opportunity of changing
my email address as well.

Tried munging my current email address in Agent but it comes back at
me as "invalid email address".

How do I do it please (I'm assuming it's possibe?).

I don't think you can munge for sending email. I never tried, because
I have no reason to. But if, as I sometimes do, I attempt to send an
email using the munged address which I have for usenet participation,
I get a similar response to that which you report.

But you can munge for posting to usenet, which is probably more useful
to you.

That's what I attempted to do, but it wouldn't have it despite a
couple of attempts.

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:48:40 GMT, Rita wrote:

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 13:20:48 +0000, Keith Anderson
wrote:

I'll soon be getting rid of my current steam-driven system (Win 98 and
dialup) and moving to braodband. I'll take the opportunity of changing
my email address as well.

Tried munging my current email address in Agent but it comes back at
me as "invalid email address".

How do I do it please (I'm assuming it's possibe?).

Where in Agent did you try to enter this? You have to give your
news server a valid user name and password, and if your news server
is your ISP, then that means putting in your correct user name.
You just enter the user name, however, not @xxx.com

This you enter Options/General Preferences/Servers and Accounts
News Server/Login Credentials.

The user name entered here will not appear anywhere in the newsgroup
headers.

But you can put a fake Email address or a munged address under Options/
General Prefences/Servers and Accounts/User Identity/Email Address.

Many thanks, I'll try this later.

Old March 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Padraig Breathnach

wrote:

But you can munge for posting to usenet, which is probably more useful
to you.

That's what I attempted to do, but it wouldn't have it despite a
couple of attempts.

Your version of Agent is not quite the same as mine (1.93 against
1.92).

This works for me:
Options -- User and System Profile --User -- Email Address
Change manually: MUNGED when I am on usenet: unMUNGED for email.

You can see my munged address when you check headers.

Old March 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
The Reids

Following up to Keith Anderson

But you can munge for posting to usenet, which is probably more useful
to you.

That's what I attempted to do, but it wouldn't have it despite a
couple of attempts.

IIRC I couldn't do it either
--
Mike Reid
Wasdale-Thames path-London-Photos "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site

Old March 14th, 2005, 03:32 PM
The Reids

Following up to The Reids

IIRC I couldn't do it either

I made the last two posts with a) fake email then b) fake reply
to addresses, they worked although with an earlier version IIRC
they did not, maybe I'm thinking of email?
BTW If you use uni of Berlin service they insist on a valid
address (in sense of it wont bounce).
Also those signing up for the new pay service should note its a
multi step job involving registration with a pay system,
confirming emails and so on. Start now!
Old March 14th, 2005, 03:56 PM
The Reids

Following up to nitram

I have used an invalid address with Uni Of Berlin for sometime. They
changed things more than a year ago.

The conditions of use state otherwise, they will get round to you
in due course, they did me.

Also those signing up for the new pay service should note its a
multi step job involving registration with a pay system,
confirming emails and so on. Start now!

Have you paid already? What if it's just a German student's silly
April Fool joke?

That certainly was my first reaction, but it seems kosher and
takes some tooing and froming to get sorted.
Old March 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Keith Anderson

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:27:02 +0000, The Reids
wrote:

Following up to Keith Anderson

But you can munge for posting to usenet, which is probably more useful
to you.

That's what I attempted to do, but it wouldn't have it despite a
couple of attempts.

IIRC I couldn't do it either

OK here goes - see if it works..........