Affordable airfare from NYC -> Italy for July?

Old February 13th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Cory Snyder

Default Affordable airfare from NYC -> Italy for July?

Hi everybody,

Please forgive the crosspost, but I'm trying to plan a trip for 2 to
Rome from NYC from 7/9 - 7/18. Last Saturday, I found ~$495 airfare on
Alitalia from Newark to Rome. Inexplicably, I waited for a few days,
and now I see the same ticket is $800+. Yikes.

Can anybody offer advice on when/where/how to I might affordable
airfare to Italy for that time of year? I know it's high season for
tourist, so I'm guessing savings will be hard to come by.

Also, I've heard it's best to NOT buy International air tix more than
2 months in advance, as specials tend to crop up within that 2 month
window.

Can anybody offer any advice/links?

Thanks in advance,

CS
Old February 13th, 2004, 09:16 PM
mrtravelkay

Cory Snyder wrote:
Hi everybody,

Please forgive the crosspost, but I'm trying to plan a trip for 2 to
Rome from NYC from 7/9 - 7/18. Last Saturday, I found ~$495 airfare on
Alitalia from Newark to Rome. Inexplicably, I waited for a few days,
and now I see the same ticket is $800+. Yikes.

Can anybody offer advice on when/where/how to I might affordable
airfare to Italy for that time of year? I know it's high season for
tourist, so I'm guessing savings will be hard to come by.

Also, I've heard it's best to NOT buy International air tix more than
2 months in advance, as specials tend to crop up within that 2 month
window.

As you have found out, this 2 month rule isn't always valid, since you
saw a cheap fare last Saturday.

Here's one place

http://www.travelocity.com/
Select the advance search option
Check the option on the advance search page that says "select date range"
Choose Aug to Aug.
The best fare showing is BA at $653 (before fees) total $759.
You might also try www.qixo.com or even hotwire or priceline.

Old February 14th, 2004, 03:34 AM
Douglas W. Hoyt

Last Saturday, I found ~$495 airfare on Alitalia from Newark to Rome.
Inexplicably, I waited for a few days, and now I see the same ticket is
$800+. Yikes.

If you found it on Orbitz, like I did, it was a bogus fare--not actually
bookable (when you click on the booking option, it says that the fare went
up). In fact, when the fare went up to around $800 I tried booking it--and
that was bogus too--it went up over a thousand. So don't feel bad.

Old February 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Steve

flying on Fri and Sun is part of the problem
try Sat to Sat if willing to cut trip short

adjustment above will cut airfare by 100 to 150 dollars based on currently
available consolidator airfares for 7/10 out and 7/17 back

also try NYC-LON if willing to use any of the multiple airports at either
city - more options - better chance

whichever options you select, you can book tickets now with tax and gov fees
included at amounts less than 700 and less than 600 if 7/10-7/17

lowest airfares are generally limited to a small portion of seats and even
more limited during peak travel periods - which is why it's now you see em
and now you don't - even a few minutes later

airlines update databases about four times each day and if an airline issues
another small allotment of lower priced seats - they will show up on search
until sold off

grant yourself some time to shop because that is what all this comes down
to - shopping - and buying - when you see a price you are willing to pay

m...