Question on one way car rental

Old November 10th, 2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Michael A.

Default Question on one way car rental

I want to book a flight from San Jose, California
to San Diego, then a car from San Diego
to San Jose. Any recommendations
on car rental companies for the one-way
rental of the car?

Mike
Old November 10th, 2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

I want to book a flight from San Jose, California to San Diego, then
a car from San Diego to San Jose. Any recommendations on car rental
companies for the one-way rental of the car?

Try Alamo or Thrify, who are quoting about $250/wk with no drop charge
for a small car from SAN to SJC.

One-way within California usually isn't too expensive, but those two
seem cheapest at the moment.

R's,
John
Old November 10th, 2006, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Larry

I used Budget for a 1 way rental....using my Costco discount. From
Fresno-San Diego, I paid $36 for a 1 day 1 way rental for a Chev Cobalt. I
also did the same thing this past March in Florida....rented in Tampa and
droped off in Jacksonville using AVIS....a 3 day rental totalled $106 for a
Chrysler Sebring.

m...

Old November 10th, 2006, 04:51 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Michael A.

John and Larry,
Thanks for the tips.
Mike

Larry wrote:
I used Budget for a 1 way rental....using my Costco discount. From
Fresno-San Diego, I paid $36 for a 1 day 1 way rental for a Chev Cobalt. I
also did the same thing this past March in Florida....rented in Tampa and
droped off in Jacksonville using AVIS....a 3 day rental totalled $106 for a
Chrysler Sebring.

m...

Old November 11th, 2006, 07:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Am I Nuts

"Michael A." wrote in message
m...
I want to book a flight from San Jose, California
to San Diego, then a car from San Diego
to San Jose. Any recommendations
on car rental companies for the one-way
rental of the car?

Mike

Advantage Rent-A Car

http://www.arac.com/discount_rental_cars.htm

Usually $40 per day

Old November 11th, 2006, 12:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

In article Bdf5h.289774$1T2.212705@pd7urf2no,
Am I Nuts wrote:

I want to book a flight from San Jose, California to San Diego, then
a car from San Diego to San Jose. Any recommendations on car rental
companies for the one-way rental of the car?

Advantage Rent-A Car

... who have no offices in San Jose or anywhere else in the bay area.

How was this suggestion helpful?

R's,
John
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air
TOliver

"Michael A." wrote...

I want to book a flight from San Jose, California
to San Diego, then a car from San Diego
to San Jose. Any recommendations
on car rental companies for the one-way
rental of the car?

While "polling" the majors and minors with locations in your rental and drop
off locales is a good way to start, and making a reservation recommended,
the best deals I've ever made on "one ways" was after quick surveys of the
sirport rental agencies, often "holding" a car from the city you want to
drive to or one near it, and willing to waive drop fees or even make a "good
deal", better for them than the eventual hiring a driver to return the car.

That's especially true for agencies at major airports served by commuter air
from smaller cities, where cancelled flights bring folks driving up in out
of town rentals, their company expense accounts willing to accept big drop
charges. Of course , the opposite is true, with the classic CNX of the
night's last flight from the big city to the little burg, and home bound
travelers queuing up for rentals. It's worked for me several times at DFW,
while in Florida, the volume of one ways is so high, most companies used to
charge no drop fees, and there were always deals to be made returning cars
from JAX or Tampa to MCO.

TMO