Duty Free Oz or Changi Airport?

Old August 29th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Peter

fox1 wrote:
I intend purchasing a duty-free digital camera, where would be best?
Cairns or Changi airport.?

Give duty-free a miss. There's no duty any more, just a 10% GST and the
prices in the airport shops are usually jacked up 10% or more anyway to
be about the same as what you can get outside.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.co...ategory6_1.htm and
http://www.dutyfree.com.au show a wide range of cameras.

--

View my aircraft pictures:
"http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1753"

Nice pix. What are you using to take them?

Old August 30th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Muz

Default Duty Free Oz or Changi Airport?

And in New Zealand ... http://www.digitalcameras.co.nz/grouplist.cfm .... Muz

Old August 30th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Keith Willshaw

"fox1" wrote in message
I intend purchasing a duty-free digital camera, where would be best?
Cairns or Changi airport.?

To be honest I wouldnt bother. You'll save the
VAT but I'll bet the airport duty free has a
suffuciently higher profit margin that'll swallow that.

You can probably save as much buying from an
on line discount store in the UK and that way
you can be sure that the guarantee is valid
and HM Customs and Excise wont mug you
on your return to the UK.

Keith

Old August 31st, 2004, 09:17 PM
Paul

fox1 wrote:
I intend purchasing a duty-free digital camera, where would be best?
Cairns or Changi airport.?

I have two hours in Changi... thanks..

Links would be appreciated. :-))

I looked closely at camera prices when passing through Changi in
February and was extremely disappointed (also with most other things).
No real saving over UK discount prices, and what was there was cheaper
in Hong Kong!

Paul
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Les Chandra

"A Mate" wrote in
u:

Almost always a discount retailer in Australia (Ted's Camera in
Brisbane or Photocontinental - even JB HiFi have better digital camera
prices than the duty free stores) other cities have similar outlets.

Changi's certainly not cheap!!

I second that, and I second JB Hi-Fi. They are all over the place now (I
don't think Cairns, but they are in Brisbane and the Gold Coast). Find a
camera you like and haggle hard. They will always drop their prices to
please.

L.
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:18 AM
fox1

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 20:05:41 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"
wrote:

You can probably save as much buying from an
on line discount store in the UK and that way
you can be sure that the guarantee is valid
and HM Customs and Excise wont mug you
on your return to the UK.

Many thanks to all for their input.! I have decided to purchase
online from the UK's 7dayshop.. :-)