Enchantment of the Seas was in Storm!

Old September 6th, 2004, 05:13 PM
HoTShoT

Default Enchantment of the Seas was in Storm!

My friend just got back off the Enchantment of the Seas which ported
9/6/2004 at 8:00am. I am appalled that the captain took the ship 9 miles off
Keywest during the storm and exposing passengers and crew to 20 ft waves and
a rocking boat. Passengers were throwing up in the elevators and are
furious.

Old September 6th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Tom & Linda

Once on Nordic Empress, we had 17 ft. waves and 65 mph winds just south of
St. Thomas when a cold front came through. Big waves happen.

20 ft. waves are nothing that the ship can't handle. Some people will get
seasick... that's just part of what can happen on a ship. I'm sure they had
Bonine available at the Purser's Desk. They did on the Nordic Empress that
time.

Nothing to be appalled at based on your comments. There was a hurricane.
What did you want him to do? Ships only do about 25 knots. It's not like
he could head down to Brazil at 500 mph to get away from the storm.

Most hurricanes go about 5-10 knots (they usually burn themselves out when
they go faster than that according to the Captain on the Century a few years
ago).. So with capability to hit 25 knots, the captain could take the ship
away if he had to and outrun the storm.

Unless the more experienced sailors here say it's not correct, I would think
that he was actually in a rather good place. Far enough from land to keep
the ship in deep water, yet close enough to land, in case there was a
serious problem.

--Tom

Old September 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM
steve

sounds like a added bonus too me, flat water is boring

Old September 6th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Charles

In article , HoTShoT @ wrote:

My friend just got back off the Enchantment of the Seas which ported
9/6/2004 at 8:00am. I am appalled that the captain took the ship 9 miles off
Keywest during the storm and exposing passengers and crew to 20 ft waves and
a rocking boat. Passengers were throwing up in the elevators and are
furious.

They take the ship out during a storm because with twenty foot waves
they would not want the ship smashing up the dock and itself on the
dock.

--
Charles

I have a few Gmail invitations.
Old September 6th, 2004, 11:30 PM
OcnGypZ

Subject: Enchantment of the Seas was in Storm!

and crew to 20 ft waves and

Oh bunk..........the marine forecast faxes sitting in my basket state 4-12
feet.and that's just what they were at the worst... off the Keys.

BTW.. most of that was caused by feeder bands coming from the southwest
circulating around Frances... and from about 175 miles out.

Babette
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:03 AM
jean

Has anyone looked at the size of that storm?

Cruising at this time of year you should not be surprised when you find
yourself in a storm.

Jean

Old September 7th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Dillon Pyron

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 17:25:19 GMT, "Tom & Linda"
wrote:

[...]

The last place you want to be is in harbor. The only place the boat
will go is ashore.

Nothing scares a sailor like a lee shore in a blow.

--Tom

"HoTShoT" @ wrote in message ...
My friend just got back off the Enchantment of the Seas which ported
9/6/2004 at 8:00am. I am appalled that the captain took the ship 9 miles

off
Keywest during the storm and exposing passengers and crew to 20 ft waves

and
a rocking boat. Passengers were throwing up in the elevators and are
furious.

dillon

When I was a kid, I thought the angel's name was Hark
and the horse's name was Bob.
Old September 7th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jeff Gersten wrote:

The reason the captain gave for moving close was so that people could be
able to use their cell phones. I heard a lot of PRAISE for that.

He deserved praise for doing this, I am sure lots of people wanted to
call the airlines and their families.

Complaints that I did hear were more about the disembarkation, more
about that when I get around to posting a review.

I am looking forward to your review.

sue

Old September 7th, 2004, 03:45 PM

HoTShoT wrote:

My friend just got back off the Enchantment of the Seas which ported
9/6/2004 at 8:00am. I am appalled that the captain took the ship 9 miles off
Keywest during the storm and exposing passengers and crew to 20 ft waves and
a rocking boat. Passengers were throwing up in the elevators and are
furious.

It is all part of the cruising experience. It couldn't have been that bad on
ship that size with 20 foot waves. In 1997 we hit 33 foot waves (according to
the Captain) off the Umbrian coast (admittedly an unusual occurence for the
Med). The Pacific Princess (~27,000 tons) was really rocking and rolling. Not
too pleasant at the time but a great conversation piece.

Jerry in NJ