Tipping in USA/Canada

Old November 9th, 2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Hatunen

Default Tipping in USA/Canada

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:35:09 -0800, Robert Cohen
wrote:

i suppose one
u.s. dollar per customer at a non-pretentious dinner or at a now
very common buffet restaurant is reasonable, or
in other words, two dollars per couple, et cetera--

you can certainly eventually get sick of 'em, but ryan's and the
other buffet restaurants convey unlimited and many varities of food,
and i bet few places in the world are this way, ten dollars or less
person, unlimited goood food

at the fancier class restaurants, tip at least ten percent of the
total bill, and of course many or rmost people leave 15 percent or
twenty percent or more

you'll feel ripped-off at yuppie places like ruby fridays, so wendy et
al fast food and those amazing buffet places are best for budget
traveller

for clothes and chotskies go to the tangar shopping outlet places
and several other factory outlet places is where the people genrally
seem to be especially on weekends

the u.s.a. is pndeed complex, so a guide book wouldn't hurt

if one is not affluent, one goes to wendy's etal

You can't kid me. You're really Archie the Cockroach, aren't you?

Old November 9th, 2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message Hatunen
wrote:

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 18:50:17 +0000, Martin D. Pay
wrote:

I have a sort-of-related question...

When I've traveled in the US, sometimes I've paid the whole bill
and tip in cash, sometimes paid the whole bill and tip on plastic
and sometimes paid the bill on plastic and left the tip on the
table in cash. Is there a preferred way (preferred, that is, by
the waiting staff)? I sometimes wonder how much the waitress sees
of a tip that goes on the plastic and so through the
establishment's books...

I have the same question and I, too, do it all three ways. I've
been assured that the tip goes to the right people when it's put
on the credit card

But in many establishments the tips all get pooled and split up
among the help, including the buspersons. This defeats the whole
purpose of tipping proportionate to the service received, and in
hope that the waiter will at least see the tip I tend to leave a
cash tip even if I pay with a credit card. Unfortunately, in many
restaurants the busperson sweeps up the tip while clearing the
table.

Even so, that means the poor service person is benefiting from the tips
of the good service people. Peer pressure will work wonders, if you let
it.

--
You can get more with a kind word and a 2x4 than just a kind word.
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:33 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

Rick Blaine wrote:

Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

The only time I've had retailiation for not tipping was in Vegas. A valet was
****ed that I wouldn't tip him for lift bags out of the trunk at a hotel and
passing them to another valet, so he misdirected one of the bags and it took 30
minutes to "find" it.

Ah Vegas...
I once tried to give a cab driver $3 in quarters on a $10 fare and he
refused it. I didn't want to bother him with breaking a $100 bill, so he
got no tip.
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

James Robinson wrote:

There are also some shady restaurant owners who demand a cut of the tip
revenue. Those are not common.

It seems only fare they recoup the credit card fees on the tip charges
Old November 9th, 2007, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_3_]

mrtravel wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

There are also some shady restaurant owners who demand a cut of the
tip revenue. Those are not common.

It seems only fare they recoup the credit card fees on the tip charges

Duh... "fair".... mental lapse
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 21:29:14 +1100 in rec.travel.air, Qanset
wrote:

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

if you have an open mind, the usual gratuity for good service is
15 per cent of the tab. it does not apply in fast food places
where you take your own food to the table.

i understand it does not apply down under, but it does in the
americas and europe, so you should get used to it, or expect to
get poor service and the worst table in the place.

when in rome, do as the romans do, and budget for it.

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 19:21:54 -0700 in rec.travel.air, DevilsPGD
wrote:

But in many establishments the tips all get pooled and split up
among the help, including the buspersons. This defeats the whole
purpose of tipping proportionate to the service received, and in
hope that the waiter will at least see the tip I tend to leave a
cash tip even if I pay with a credit card. Unfortunately, in many
restaurants the busperson sweeps up the tip while clearing the
table.

Even so, that means the poor service person is benefiting from the tips
of the good service people. Peer pressure will work wonders, if you let
it.

i have waited tables where i kept the entire tip; where i split
a proportion with the bartender when they ordered drinks; with
the sommelier when i upsold extra wine; with the maitre d' (or i
would not have had good customers coming to my tables, and i
would be assigned the worst tables in the place); and most
recently, where the tips were pooled.

i can assure you that when the tips are pooled, poorly performing
waitpersons, bussers, and bartenders don't work there very long,
because the owner won't want productive waitstaff to all take a
walk at once. on a good crew, with a good chef, good boss, and
good staff who all work together to make customers feel happy and
spend more money, no one has a qualm about splitting tips.

and waiting tables, as the european headwaiter who trained me
said, is a performance. a good waitperson puts on a show, and
makes the customer feel special so she/he *wants* to spend money
and tip well.

i would suggest to the OP that if they don't want to tip, that
they stick to mall food courts, fast food restaurants, and
takeout delis or supermarkets. it's an unfortunate fact of life
that the american restaurant industry has refused to pay their
employees a living wage and expects them to live off tips, to the
point that it's actually the law and they will be taxed on tips
that the govt expects them to receive even if they don't.

europe used to be that way, too. they were civilized enough to
add the charge for service on the bill, even though it was
optional when i first went to europe in the 70s. now it is
included in the bill everywhere, although it is still sometimes
put on the bill as a separate charge.

also, there will be a mandatory "gratuity charge" for groups in
most restaurants. this has been done because there are still too
many cheapskates who think that when they're in large groups
their failure to tip won't be noticed. if restaurants didn't do
this, their staff would refuse to serve large groups.

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Shawn Hirn wrote:
In article ,
Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

This is a big subject for debate. Just check this newsgroup's archives
on groups.google.com for what was already said.

Here's the short version ...

Tipping is not a requirement in the USA; however, if you don't tip in
full service restaurants, bars, and buffets, you are screwing the people
who serve your food out of their pay. Unlike where you live, restaurant
workers in the United States depend on tips for their livelihood. These
people are not "expecting free money" from you, they are expecting to be
paid for the work they do far you. Knowing this, I suggest you proceed
with the golden rule, to treat the waitstaff the way you would want to
be treated if the situation was reversed.

Fair enough, but If I was in that situation I would definitely seek
more suitable employment. Fortunately here in Australia, Hospitality
staff dont always have to rely on tipping

If tipping poses a financial problem for you, then you have an easy
option to avoid it. Do not eat at full service restaurants and bars.
Stick with fast food places and take out or buy food at grocery stores
to eat.

I did this on my first trip when backpacking around USA.
Old November 9th, 2007, 09:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

Hatunen wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 05:18:27 -0800, mrtravel
wrote:

Qanset wrote:

The wife and I are planning at trip to USA/Canada in the near future.
Is it true that the Yanks are really hung up on tipping, and that
FORGETTING to tip someone is courting disaster???

Like most tourists we will be traveling on a limited budget,this means
that anybody expecting free money from us will be advised to look
elsewhere.

A colleague of mine who honeymooned in Hawaii was told by a tour bus
operator, that he EXPECTED gratuities for his efforts, because his job
was poorly paid. What more can I say.???

I'm going to cop a lot of flak on this subject, but never mind I have
and open mind on accepting advice on World Travel.

Are you telling us you haven't been able to find the answer to your
question prior to coming to this newsgroup.

Yes, thats corect.

The truth is that prices for things such as dining are substantially
cheaper in the US than Europe, for example.

Two reasons are, of course, that

(1) the wages for the wait staff are a very minor part of the
amount charged for a meal, and

(2) there is no included VAT in the charge.

The first item is taken care of by the customer by means of the
tip. Having once worked for tips, I tend to be a bit generous and
tip close to 20% of the listed charge, but 15% is considered a
sort of standard.

Tipping has the advantage that you have a way to exprss your
displeasure with the service by leaving a smaller tip. But do not
leave no tip at all, since it merely makes you appear forgetful.
If extremely displeased leave a five or ten cent piece on the
table; THAT will send a message.

I'm ambivalent about leaving smaller tips for food that
displeased me; it's not the waiter's fault.

The second item is covered by our sneaky sales taxes, an
additional tax on the meal of up to 10% added at the end of the
reckoning, depending on the political jurisdiction (a few states,
but only a few, have no sales tax).

Whatever the advantages or disadvantages of payig wait staff
better and the VAT, they at least make life simpler: in Europe
the cost on the menu will be the final cost.

Given that, and the recent
escalation of the dollar's decline, you should just consider it part of
the payment. For bad service, I generally leave a few cents, since I
don't want them to think I forgot about tipping. To many people, leaving
no tip means you simply forgot about it.

Oops. Sorry.

19 years ago, I had a waitress
call my room at the LAX Marriott and ask if I had forgotten her tip.
I told her the service was very bad. I then called hotel management and
they gave me credit for the cost of the meal.

On the other hand, don't feel pressured to do something you are not
comfortable doing, especially if you have no plans to patronize the
business in the future.

In other words, ignore the local customs.

Always good travel advice, eh?

Not really, I try to be flexible when observing local customs, but I
will not be bullied into tipping, which I have seen happen.

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:52 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Qanset

StephanieM wrote:
You know the part of the question I fail to grasp on this one is where
are you coming from. The US dollar is in the tank. You have got to
be benfitting from the exchange rate alone.

Which question are you referring to??
While the US dollar is depressed it might encourage more tourism
into The USA and stimulate the local economy.