Catskill area New York- Need Advice

Old June 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM
Chris

Default Catskill area New York- Need Advice

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a 2 night getaway to the Catskills.
One of the attactions I am particularly interested in is the Catskill
Game Farm (since I have a young son). I was just looking for a place
to stay close to the Game Farm. A motel would be ok, as long as it's
clean and well kept. I do have the AAA tour Book.. but there doesn't
seem to be too many accomodations in that particular area. So, any
advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on places to
eat in the area or other nearby attractions would also be terrific.

Thanks,

Chris
Old June 22nd, 2004, 07:27 AM
Auntie Em

"Brian Wickham" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:15:59 GMT, (Chris) wrote:

Hello,

I am in the process of planning a 2 night getaway to the Catskills.
One of the attactions I am particularly interested in is the Catskill
Game Farm (since I have a young son). I was just looking for a place
to stay close to the Game Farm. A motel would be ok, as long as it's
clean and well kept. I do have the AAA tour Book.. but there doesn't
seem to be too many accomodations in that particular area. So, any
advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, any advice on places to
eat in the area or other nearby attractions would also be terrific.

I'm not an animal activist but you might be interested in this web
site and there opinion of the Catskill Game Farm.
http://www.wildlifepimps.com/catskill.htm

I was taken there when I was young (about 1956?) and it was pretty
cheesy then. Passing by the area a few years ago it struck me as the
kind of place bikers and their mammas take the kiddies. But that's
just my opinion.

Brian Wickham

I wonder why they call it a "game farm". Giraffes, to my knowledge, have
never been considered "game". I think of game farms as places where they
raise pheasants and quail to be released for hunting purposes. This
Catskill Game Farm is just plain creepy. I don't think I would want to take
my "young son" there, it might scar him for life.

Em

Old June 22nd, 2004, 06:34 PM

Not wanting to get involved in any controversy, I do believe that
you are thinking of a "Game Preserve" as a place where animals
are raised for the purpose of hunting. Creepy as they may be,
game farms do not keep animals for hunting purposes.

Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:20 AM
Chris

Ok.. I did read the that web site
(http://www.wildlifepimps.com/catskill.htm). After reading that I'm
no longer interested in patronizing the Catskill Game Farm. That is
pretty much a disgrace. I'm surprised they can be allowed to stay
open with those kinds of charges. I'm sure like me, most people are
probably not even aware of those issues. The game farm probably makes
enough money anyway to pay off their attorneys to keep them open.

Oh well, any other ideas for the Catskills? I noticed one of the
other attractions in the area is the Howe Caverns and Secret Caverns
up near Cobleskill. Hopefully there's no horror stories involved with
either of those places... besides possibly being just a tourist trap.
Any advice for this area... or maybe another area that I might be
missing?

Thanks,

Chris

Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:52 PM

Chris wrote:

: Oh well, any other ideas for the Catskills? I noticed one of the
:Game Farm (since I have a young son). I was just looking for a place

Not sure how young, and not Catskills (but close to Cobleskill) but
Cooperstown (Baseball Hall of Fame)? Herkimer Diamond Mine?
Old June 24th, 2004, 03:56 AM
Csowl102

I'm not an animal activist but you might be interested in this web
site and there opinion of the Catskill Game Farm.
http://www.wildlifepimps.com/catskill.htm

You're not an animal activist, but I'm sure you must have stayed at a Holiday
Inn Express last night to make you so smart

..
I was taken there when I was young (about 1956?) and it was pretty
cheesy then. Passing by the area a few years ago it struck me as the
kind of place bikers and their mammas take the kiddies.

Hmmmm... I'm not a biker.. but I took my kid there last year. Seems you may
have gone on a bad day. Also seems you are pretty opinionated... which I guess
isn't a bad thing. Although you seem to have a slight distaste for the lower
half of society.

This
Catskill Game Farm is just plain creepy. I don't think I would want to take
my "young son" there, it might scar him for life.

OK.... now I've heard it all. Give me a freakin break. I can think of many
more places BEFORE the Catskill Game Farm that can "scar someone" for life.
Try the local school system... or even Disney World during Gay Week. But, by
feeding little deer and pigs.. and whatever else is there is going to scar
someone for life? You people are totally nuts and off the wall.
My advice to the original poster... go to the Game Farm..... don't listen to
these morons... your kid will love it. I promise. And if he is scared for
life... I will certainly apologize for this post and be on my hands and knees
in prayer.

Charles
Old June 25th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Bill

"Chris" wrote in message
Ok.. I did read the that web site
(http://www.wildlifepimps.com/catskill.htm). After reading that I'm
Oh well, any other ideas for the Catskills? I noticed one of the

other attractions in the area is the Howe Caverns and Secret Caverns
up near Cobleskill. Hopefully there's no horror stories involved with
either of those places... besides possibly being just a tourist trap.
Any advice for this area... or maybe another area that I might be
missing?

Howe Caverns is way cool. Haven't been so Secret Caverns but that's also
supposed to be quite interesting.

There are hundreds of miles of hiking trails in the Catskills...much of it
exciting for kids. Try the areas around North Lake campground near
Tannerville off of 23A.