UK Relaxes Carry-on Rules

Old August 14th, 2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

Default UK Relaxes Carry-on Rules

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also allowed
to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

Liquids are still banned from the carry-on bags, as are cell phones.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
nobody[_1_]

James Robinson wrote:

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also allowed
to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

This, as BAA has asked all airlines to cut their schedules by 20% into
the UK because its airports just cannot cope with the security screening process.

You'll find the politicians backtracking on those rules as soon as they
can politically can.

Since this is a monday, it is no susprise that laptops are being
allowed.
Old August 14th, 2006, 06:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

James Robinson wrote:

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also allowed
to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

Liquids are still banned from the carry-on bags, as are cell phones.

What about radios or any other electronic devices that can be adapted to
send a signal.
Old August 14th, 2006, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
ant[_3_]

James Robinson wrote:
I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also
allowed to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

Liquids are still banned from the carry-on bags, as are cell phones.

Not surprising. the laptop one is a biggie, and compulsory checking of them
would cause a massive issue for the baggage bit of airlines. Huge changes.
They are so easily broken, and so hard to hide in one's luggage. I guess
it's tacit admission by the airlines that they can't stop theft and breakage
by their baggage people.

--
ant

Old August 14th, 2006, 11:29 AM posted to rec.travel.air
James Robinson

nobody wrote:

James Robinson wrote:

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also
allowed to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

This, as BAA has asked all airlines to cut their schedules by 20% into
the UK because its airports just cannot cope with the security
screening process.

You'll find the politicians backtracking on those rules as soon as
they can politically can.

Since this is a monday, it is no susprise that laptops are being
allowed.

It turns out that the relaxed rules won't take effect at Heathrow and
Gatwick until Tuesday morning, to give time to train the security
inspectors:

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim[_1_]

"nobody" wrote in message
James Robinson wrote:

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also allowed
to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

This, as BAA has asked all airlines to cut their schedules by 20% into
the UK because its airports just cannot cope with the security screening
process.

You'll find the politicians backtracking on those rules as soon as they
can politically can.

Since this is a monday, it is no susprise that laptops are being
allowed.

However I must say that I think that it's great that the
rule is one bag and one only, which means if it's your
lap-top bag then you get nothing else. I never thought
that this "plus laptop" rule was fair, it's not like they are
small is it, I've got bags that I could use as a second
carry-on that are smaller, but could I do that - no.

tim

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
tim[_1_]

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
James Robinson wrote:

I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also allowed
to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

Liquids are still banned from the carry-on bags, as are cell phones.

What about radios or any other electronic devices that can be adapted to
send a signal.

They seem to have given up on the idea of trying to stop
people taking on things that could be made into remote
detonators, it's not like this is a critical part of the suicide
bombers armoury is it.

tim

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air
JohnT[_1_]

"ant" wrote in message
James Robinson wrote:
I see from the BBC that the carry-on rules have been relaxed for
departures from the UK. Passengers can carry one small bag, and are
allowed to bring a laptop computer into the cabin. They are also
allowed to bring some cosmetics, such as lipstick.

Liquids are still banned from the carry-on bags, as are cell phones.

Not surprising. the laptop one is a biggie, and compulsory checking of
them would cause a massive issue for the baggage bit of airlines. Huge
changes. They are so easily broken, and so hard to hide in one's luggage.
I guess it's tacit admission by the airlines that they can't stop theft
and breakage by their baggage people.

According to BA, mobile phones ARE permitted in carry-on bags.

JohnT

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Neil Williams

JohnT wrote:

According to BA, mobile phones ARE permitted in carry-on bags.

I took mine on KLM from LCY this morning. LCY was heaving, as well - a
lot of people abandoning LHR by the looks of things.

Neil

Old August 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

James Robinson wrote:

It turns out that the relaxed rules won't take effect at Heathrow and
Gatwick until Tuesday morning, to give time to train the security
inspectors:

How much time does it take to train people for this?