Ticket Backup

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:31 PM
Stuart Hofmann

Default Ticket Backup

I've gotten to like electronic tickets. Now I'm back with a set of
paper ones, and wondering how to keep them secure. Are they still
irreplaceable documents, like cash, or will photo copies get me
validated with computer airline records if they go missing?
-S-

Old January 9th, 2004, 11:45 PM
mrraveltay

Stuart Hofmann wrote:

I've gotten to like electronic tickets. Now I'm back with a set of
paper ones, and wondering how to keep them secure. Are they still
irreplaceable documents, like cash, or will photo copies get me
validated with computer airline records if they go missing?
-S-

It depends on the airline. You should check with them on their rules on
lost tickets.

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:09 AM
nobody

Hilary wrote:
They're not irreplaceable but there's a charge to replace them.
Photocopies won't do except for giving you the necessary flight info.

They help in establishing your credibility/identity when you can provide all
the details, such as reservation number, and more importantly, ticket number.
But this help is for getting your tickets replaced, not for flying with just
the photocopy.

Could an airline cancel the paper tickets and re-issue electronic tickets for
those passengers ?

If someone shows up at airport with the stolen tickets, is the airline
absolutely obligated to carry the person, or can they block him/her if the
tickets were declared stolen ?
Old January 10th, 2004, 09:27 PM
nobody

Hilary wrote:
The airline already has all this information, including the ticket number.
As long as the passenger knows his own name and the date and flight
time/number or his booking reference, the airline can find it all.

I meant that if the pax has reservation and ticket number, it provides easier
way for airline to confirm pax's identity/legitimacy, especially if the
transaction must be done over the telephone. By itself, that information
doesn't confirm identity, but it helps.

No. An airline never needs to carry anyone. And if I knew my tickets
were lost/stolen I'd inform the agent and the airline and get my tickets
reissued - that way only my tickets will have the correct ticket number.

But don't paper tickets have value ? Aren't airlines obligated to carry
someone who presents a paper ticket ? (assuming identity is valid) ?