Help support our troops!

Old December 24th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Thomas Smith

Default Help support our troops!

I found a good way to support our troops coming home on R&R this holiday
season. If you have a frequent flier account with AirTran, Alaska, America
West, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Midwest, Northwest Pan Am,
Southwest, United, or US Airways, you can donate miles to help get the
troops home. Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home. The above airlines have
agreed to use the donated miles towards free tickets for the soldiers to get
the rest of the way home. The amount you can donate varies from airline to
airline. For more information, visit www.heromiles.org.

--
Tom Smith
"The future is whatever you make it, so make it a good one!"

Old December 24th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Me

In article
,
"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote:

I found a good way to support our troops coming home on R&R this holiday
season. If you have a frequent flier account with AirTran, Alaska, America
West, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Midwest, Northwest Pan Am,
Southwest, United, or US Airways, you can donate miles to help get the
troops home. Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home. The above airlines have
agreed to use the donated miles towards free tickets for the soldiers to get
the rest of the way home. The amount you can donate varies from airline to
airline. For more information, visit www.heromiles.org.

This is absolutely ridiculous! The war in Iraq is a big enough sham as
it is. We tax payers (including those who're fighting for us there) will
be schupped with the Iraq bill for decades. The miliary is awash in cash
yet the government cut veterans' benefits and the military won't give
the men and women fighting in Iraq a free ride home to visit their
families for R&R? That's just insane.
Old December 24th, 2003, 02:08 PM
None

"Me" wrote in message
In article
,
"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM wrote:

I found a good way to support our troops coming home on R&R this holiday
season. If you have a frequent flier account with AirTran, Alaska,

America
West, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Midwest, Northwest Pan Am,
Southwest, United, or US Airways, you can donate miles to help get the
troops home. Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or

DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home. The above airlines have
agreed to use the donated miles towards free tickets for the soldiers to

get
the rest of the way home. The amount you can donate varies from airline

airline. For more information, visit www.heromiles.org.

This is absolutely ridiculous! The war in Iraq is a big enough sham as
it is. We tax payers (including those who're fighting for us there) will
be schupped with the Iraq bill for decades. The miliary is awash in cash
yet the government cut veterans' benefits and the military won't give
the men and women fighting in Iraq a free ride home to visit their
families for R&R? That's just insane.

No, thats just Bush . . . and the Republican way!

http://flash.bushrecall.org/

Old December 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Jeff Coudriet

I support our troops 100%, and in fact my nephew was in Iraq (just came
back recently), but really, can't Haliburton pick up the tab for this???
That's right, their too busy robbing the taxpayers blind.

Jeff

Thomas Smith wrote:
I found a good way to support our troops coming home on R&R this holiday
season. If you have a frequent flier account with AirTran, Alaska, America
West, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Midwest, Northwest Pan Am,
Southwest, United, or US Airways, you can donate miles to help get the
troops home. Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home. The above airlines have

Old December 24th, 2003, 06:24 PM
Annie Mooney Neves

Tom, thank you for posting this -- I just called American and donated.
Despite the politics of the day, I want to help the servicemen and women
out to get home to their loved ones. They have sacrificed so much of
their time for so little renumeration.

Holiday cheers,
Annie by the Bay

Thomas Smith wrote:
I found a good way to support our troops coming home on R&R this holiday
season. If you have a frequent flier account with AirTran, Alaska, America
West, American, Continental, Delta, Frontier, Midwest, Northwest Pan Am,
Southwest, United, or US Airways, you can donate miles to help get the
troops home. Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home. The above airlines have

Old December 24th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Sjoerd

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM schreef in bericht
Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home.

Is this true? If it is, it is a huge shame. While Cheney and Haliburton are
cashing the billions, the ordinary soldier is paying for his ticket from DFW
to Hawaii or Alaska?

Sjoerd

Old December 24th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"Sjoerd" wrote in message

"Thomas Smith" -NO-SPAM schreef in

bericht
Currently, DoD will only fly the soldiers to BWI, ATL or DFW.
From there, they are on their own to get home.

Is this true? If it is, it is a huge shame. While Cheney and Haliburton

are
cashing the billions, the ordinary soldier is paying for his ticket from

DFW
to Hawaii or Alaska?

Sjoerd

It was true for a time. I am not sure if it is still true. The issue
with Haliburton is a different topic in itself. During Vietnam, DoD would
fly the troops to Hawaii for R&R at DoD's expense. Their spouses would
have to pay to join them. I remember in 1970 when my mother went to see my
dad in Hawaii during R7R. My sibling and I stayed home. At least this time
Dod is flying them to the states(CONUS).

dennis

Old December 24th, 2003, 07:58 PM
jchaplain

Is this true? If it is, it is a huge shame. While Cheney and Haliburton are
cashing the billions, the ordinary soldier is paying for his ticket from DFW
to Hawaii or Alaska?

Sjoerd

And, how about the airlines giving our soliders a free ride? Is that
too much to ask for? What do they need our frequent flyer miles for?

Old December 24th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"jchaplain" wrote in message
Is this true? If it is, it is a huge shame. While Cheney and Haliburton

are
cashing the billions, the ordinary soldier is paying for his ticket from

DFW
to Hawaii or Alaska?

Sjoerd

And, how about the airlines giving our soliders a free ride? Is that
too much to ask for? What do they need our frequent flyer miles for?

Where does it stop? Landlords giving free rent, Builders giving free
houses, groceries stores free food.??? They are a business. Soldiers get
paid. In a war zone (Iraq) the pay is completely tax free for enlisted and
up to a certain dollar value for officers. They also get various
allowances that thier stateside brethen do not get.

dennis

Old December 24th, 2003, 08:33 PM
fishman

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message
It was true for a time. I am not sure if it is still true. The issue
with Haliburton is a different topic in itself. During Vietnam, DoD would
fly the troops to Hawaii for R&R at DoD's expense. Their spouses would
have to pay to join them. I remember in 1970 when my mother went to see

my
dad in Hawaii during R7R. My sibling and I stayed home. At least this

time
Dod is flying them to the states(CONUS).

dennis

My husband tells the same story - he couldn't understand at the time why Mom
got to go and he had to stay home......

However, I don't see why troops cannot fly space-available on flights when
they have only two weeks leave.

Chris