Stansted cheap flights

Old October 11th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Graham

Default Stansted cheap flights

Hi, I'd appreciate some help with this...

Is it possible to buy last-minute Ryanair and Easyjet flights from the desks
at Stansted airport? Me and my girlfriend want to travel to Europe, but
we're not too worried about which country we start from so we figured we'd
just turn up at the airport and pick a destination.

What happens if all the flights are full and we have to wait until the day
after? Are there hotels near the airport?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Gerry.

Old October 11th, 2003, 02:11 AM
Jim Ley

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:55:53 +0100, "Graham"
wrote:

Is it possible to buy last-minute Ryanair and Easyjet flights from the desks
at Stansted airport?

Yes but it's probably not the cheapest way... why not just book the
two cheapest today for when you want to fly?

Jim.
Old October 11th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Alec

wrote:

Is it possible to buy last-minute Ryanair and Easyjet flights from the

desks
at Stansted airport?

Yes but it's probably not the cheapest way... why not just book the
two cheapest today for when you want to fly?

Yes, their fares keep on rising right up to departure, when they can cost
over £100 one-way. A couple of months ago the same flight might have been
available for £30. They have frequent sales when many flights are offered
for as low as 1p, and you just pay taxes and charges (average £10-12 a
sector). If you go to their website, www.ryanair.com you can register for
email alerts of special offers.
easyJet don't go quite as low, but their fares are also competitive.

Alec

Old October 11th, 2003, 09:58 AM
Barbara Vaughan

Graham wrote:

Hi, I'd appreciate some help with this...

Is it possible to buy last-minute Ryanair and Easyjet flights from the desks
at Stansted airport? Me and my girlfriend want to travel to Europe, but
we're not too worried about which country we start from so we figured we'd
just turn up at the airport and pick a destination.

Ryanair tickets are generally only cheap if you buy them well in
advance. As flight day approaches, the prices rise and rise...

Barbara
Old October 11th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Jim Ley

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 02:24:30 +0100, "Alec"
wrote:

Yes, their fares keep on rising right up to departure, when they can cost
over £100 one-way. A couple of months ago the same flight might have been
available for £30.

This isn't my experience at all, fares are not a simple linear
relation on the earliness.

For example, I can fly tomorrow morning to Brussells, back on friday
for 44+tax, if I can wait til Tuesday it's 30, Genoa on Tuesday is
29+tax Which are pretty much the non-special offer prices for those
routes, of course when there's a special offer is really the time to
buy.

Jim.
Old October 11th, 2003, 05:21 PM
blib

What happens if all the flights are full and we have to wait until the
day
after? Are there hotels near the airport?

There are not many cheap hotels in the immediate vicinity - probably your
best bet would be to take a train to Cambridge and stay there. It'll add
to your costs, of course, but less so than overnighting in London.

It can be pretty difficult finding cheap acomodation in Cambridge, most
places are fully booked all year round, why not try nearby Bishops
Stortford?

Old October 11th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Peter Birch

wrote:

What happens if all the flights are full and we have to wait until the day
after? Are there hotels near the airport?

We flew from Stansted this year after driving down from Scotland. We
stayed overnight at the Saracen's Head in Great Dunmow, a few miles
from the airport. Cost about 90GBP for two of us including two weeks
parking at the hotel and free taxi transfers to and from the airport.
Pleasant old coaching inn in an attractive little town. Decent draft
beer and an OK, though nothing special, meal the night before.

Pete
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:15 AM
RayN

In message , Alec
writes

wrote:

Is it possible to buy last-minute Ryanair and Easyjet flights from the

desks
at Stansted airport?

Yes but it's probably not the cheapest way... why not just book the
two cheapest today for when you want to fly?

Yes, their fares keep on rising right up to departure, when they can cost
over £100 one-way. A couple of months ago the same flight might have been
available for £30. They have frequent sales when many flights are offered
for as low as 1p, and you just pay taxes and charges (average £10-12 a
sector). If you go to their website, www.ryanair.com you can register for
email alerts of special offers.
easyJet don't go quite as low, but their fares are also competitive.

Alec

I concur with Alec,
Go to the Ryanair web site and register for their newsletter, it not
only announces their special offers, but also (usually) gives details of
dates for cheap travel, the day of the week that you travel out/return
make a very big difference.
HTH and is not repeated information.
--
RayN
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Adrian Sims

Advance purchase restrictions on Ryanair offers are never more than 14
days - but the idea that you can turn up at the airport and get cheap
flights is well out of date. You have to pre-book on the net (that's
the ONLY way to get the very cheapest seats). Very occassionally you
can get a cheap seat on the same day - but this is very rare. (More
common in winter). I would allow 7-14 days advance booking. I booked a
London-Groningen ticket yesterday for 7 days time at only one pound +
tax.

Adrian