How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling in Europe?

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Default How do I avoid looking and acting American while traveling in Europe?

Turlough wrote:

If the average Yank lost 25 stone, he'd fall through his arsehole and
hang himself. 20 years ago or so, I spotted a McDonalds in Dublin. I
recall saying to my wife, "Give them a generation or two, and the
Europeans will be sporting the huge arses they accuse us of." I should
have taken up fortune telling...

So you suggest that it is McDonald's that are responsible?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:25 PM
The Rifleman

"Maria" wrote in message
On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 09:49:45 +0100, "The Rifleman"
wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Grow some balls and walk like a man

That is something we Brits would respect.

What is 'walking like a man'? John Wayne?

Nup, Just being honest, truthful proud, decent, law abidding self reliant,
straight talking and dignifide just like 99% of americans.

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:27 PM
The Rifleman

"Welsh Witch" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 06 Jun 2004 09:55:25 +0100, The Rifleman wrote:

nobby landowner.

2. No shouting or raised voices - Always speak at a level tone

Only in England or Finland.

Face facts the Welsh will ignore him, the Irish will try and con him and

the
jocks will just try to borrow money off him ) whilst the English will
still call him a damn colonial.

***************************************
Oh dear \Rifleman you have got out of the wrong side today. Wahtever is
the matter can we hlp?:-)

Just suprised to see my welsh dog rearing lady friend on this NG )

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:33 PM
The Rifleman

Not really...the rest was humour, but I'm interested to know if there
have been reports of attacks on US tourists.

Only for having atrocious dress sense, Only yesterday I was in York at the
judges Lodgings for dinner, their was a coach load of american tourists and
whislt they were truly pleasant and charming people whose company was a
pleasure their dress sense was like nothing on earth, IE 50 yr old
californian lady of a least 18 stones who wore stretch bottom lycra bottoms,
she looked like something greenpeace would want to save) what I simply can
not grasp is how America that produces some fabulously cuts denim jeans like
Levis and wranglers, and stylish cheanos is how they can not produce any
decent looking slacks for men, are the best US tailers all employed by jeans
makers?

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM
The Rifleman

Of course the easy option is to think how americans behave in public then do
the opposite and you will be fine.)

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Turlough

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
Turlough wrote:

If the average Yank lost 25 stone, he'd fall through his arsehole and
hang himself. 20 years ago or so, I spotted a McDonalds in Dublin. I
recall saying to my wife, "Give them a generation or two, and the
Europeans will be sporting the huge arses they accuse us of." I should
have taken up fortune telling...

So you suggest that it is McDonald's that are responsible?

Not McDonald's per se, but the entire American diet. The results of
studies on 2nd and 3rd generation Oriental-Am's has shown that the
change to a western diet was a leading factor in increased cases of
obesity and diabetes among that group. Urbanization, which usually leads
to a decrease in normal daily exercise, and poverty are also relevant
factors.

Turlough

Old June 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Ronald Hands

Mean Mr Mustard wrote:
Unfortunately, I drew the short straw and will be heading to Europe on
a business trip this summer.

Now *that* was a successful troll -- ironic, subtle and believable.
Congratulations. You must be very proud.

-- Ron
Old June 6th, 2004, 01:59 PM

On 5 Jun 2004 23:15:24 -0700, (Mean Mr Mustard)
wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Miss your flight.

JRP
Old June 6th, 2004, 02:09 PM
The Independent

" Whoever speaks of Europe is wrong: it is a geographical expression."

Marginal comment on a letter, from the Russian Chancellor Gorchakov.
Otto Von Bismarck November 1876,

The Independent of Clackamas County, Oregon

"The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of
speeches and majority decisions ... but by iron and blood."

(Otto Von Bismarck, Speech, Sept. 30, 1862.)