Backpacking through Venezuela

Old May 14th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Jürgen

Default Backpacking through Venezuela

Hi everybody!

We are planning a backpacking trip through Venezuela in July and August. Has
anybody experience with backpacking through Venezuela with reference to the
current political situation. Is it very dangerous, would it be no good idea
to travel through specific areas. We have heard in some rural cities a
rural life is of little value. It's a little unsettling. I know, it depends
on your own behaviour too (we will try not to provoke any hostile action),
so who can help us with his advice.

Second question: What are your recommendations to visit in this land. What
is a must-see an what isn't.

Third question: We want to relax on a caribbean island (snorkeling,
swimming, hiking through rainforrest, lonesome beaches). What are your
recommendations. Where can we get prices for flights (internet) from
Venezuela to this islands and what is the best way to get to Trinidad and
Tobago (ferry, plane). I have heard that the ferry from Venezuela to
Trinidad only goes once in a week.

Many questions, I know, but it would be great to get some tips from you.

Thanks, Jürgen
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Sam Salmon

Colombia is much safer, cleaner, has a much more interesting culture,
better music, delicious food and friendlier more honest people.
The cities in Colombia are fabulous and the countryside is beautiful.

Old May 14th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Richard Ferguson

You might look at these web sites for specific security advice. The
last person I talked to who came back from Venezuela reported that life
seemed cheap there to him.

There are several web sites with security information for
travelers and tourists. The ones that I am aware of are
listed below. I urge people to review the information on
these web sites, compare the recommendations of the various
countries to each other, and compare the various government
recommendations to any personal opinions expressed on the
internet.

The government web sites below include security and
other travel information for virtually all the countries in
the world, including each other.

USA - http://travel.state.gov/travel_warnings.html

UK - http://www.fco.gov.uk

Canada -
http://voyage.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/destinations/menu_e.htm

Australia -
http://www.dfat.gov.au/consular/advice/advices_mnu.html

The following web sites offer personal or other views on
security.

Mexico Mike talks about security on Mexico's highways on
www.mexicomike.com

Personal reports for some countries in latin america are
available from the South American Explorer's club -
www.samexplo.org

http://www.beingsafe.info/ claims to list global travel
advisories.

Some travel agents and some employees of large companies may
have access to private security report services. Some
travel web sites will also have some limited security
information, such as www.latinamericatravel.com. Note that
most good guidebooks will also discuss security, and may
offer security advice specific to the town or area.

If you are aware of any other english-language security
information on the web, please let me know.

IN OTHER LANGUAGES

The Canadian information is also available in French, at the
website above.

The French government has their own web site with security
information, in French. http://www.diplomatie.fr/voyageurs

Spain's Ministry of Foreign Affairs - http://www.mae.es/

Germany -
http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/www/d...e_warnung_html

Richard Ferguson

Old May 14th, 2004, 06:06 PM
R.Dittrich

My hitlist:
1. Gran Sabana (with the Tepuis),
2. Canaima,
3. Merida,
4. Los Llanos
5. the Orinoco Delta
6. the Caribbean Coast (incl. Los Roques).

Maybe a little less the Isla de Margarita in my opinion, since I know
the 'Lesser Antilles' ('Windward Islands') quite well as well.
And soon the 'Leeward Islands' :-)

That's a great list. If you go to Merida, go parasailing. Most of
the
places you mentioned are probably not a big safety concern. The larger
cities definitely are.

Great list, I visited 3,4,2 and Ciudad Bolivar, and Isla Margarita (Playa
del Aqua). Try the cable car in Merida and feel the thin air at 4800m above
sea level. Venezuela is a beautiful country with lots of friendly people.
I also thought about visiting caribbean island, the fares from Caracas to
Aruba, Bonair or Curacao are cheap (50 USD oneway) but accomodation is
expensive (in comparison to Venezuela). It takes time to go Trinidad &
esp. Tobago, I had not enough ...
Read FOOTPRINT "Venezuela" and also FOOTPRINT "caribbean Islands".
Raik/germany
Old May 14th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Ben

"Jürgen" schreef in bericht
. ..
[...]

The last time I've been in Venezuela was in 2000. I'm going back in november
this year.
The country is really beautifull and the people are nice and helpfull.
The information I have about the political situation at the moment is, that
travelling around in the country is not a great problem. most problems are
in the bigger cities now and then. Try to stay there as short as possible.

Travelling around can be done by nightbus, plane, taxi.
Some aicompanies a Santa Barbara, Aeropostal and Avior and Lai.
A pretty dood site for domestic flights is:
http://www.venezuela-tuya.com/viajes/vueloseng.htm

I can recommand
1. Merida - Cablecar up to 4800 m (Pico Bolivar).
Paraglyding.
Lots of posadas from $5,-- up to $ 60,-- a night
(depending on how many luxury you want.
2. Los Llanos (for example a 4 days trip.)
3. Angel falls. Highest waterfall in the world (Almost 1000 m.)
4. The Orinoco delta.
5. The cost; In between Coro and PuertoCabello is a little town called
Chichiriviche. The town itself isn't very much the 10 little island in
front of it however are like little pearls. Nice place for snorkeling.
Eating fish and for swimming. Those little islands can be reached by boat,
15 till max. 45 minutes by boat.

A no go area for me is Isla Margarita. The island is complettely destroyed
because of all the tourists accomodations.

--
If you remember the '60s, you weren't really there. (o.a. Grace Slick)