Backpacking around Central America..

Old May 20th, 2004, 07:41 PM
JK

Default Backpacking around Central America..

Hi. A couple of questions if you don't mind!

I'm planning on backpacking around Central America, probably starting in
October this year (if I ever get the plane tickets sorted out). I'd like
to spend the most time in Mexico but would also like to visit some/all of
the other countries too.

Firstly, which countries would you really recommend, and are there any
that are really not worth a visit? I'll try to do the whole of Mexico,
but is Panama, for example, worth the time/money to get there?

How long would I need to do this at a leisurely pace, bearing in mind
that I will be on a relatively tight budget, so buses will be my main
mode of transport? I should be able to stay until my money runs out -
can the whole of Central America be seen in 6 months (this is just a nice
round number I plucked out as a possibility), or would more/less time be
needed?

If I flew into Mexico City sometime in October, which order should I do
the countries in, in order to make the most of the weather/any other
factors?

Let's leave it at that for now! I hope someone can help - I'm pretty new
to this travelling thing (well, backpacking anyway, and certainly
travelling on my own). If anyone has any questions that would help you
to answer mine, ask away..

Thanks!!

JK
Old May 21st, 2004, 01:30 AM
Mr. R

"JK" wrote in message
3.157...
Hi. A couple of questions if you don't mind!

I'm planning on backpacking around Central America, probably starting in
October this year (if I ever get the plane tickets sorted out). I'd like
to spend the most time in Mexico but would also like to visit some/all of
the other countries too.

Firstly, which countries would you really recommend, and are there any
that are really not worth a visit?

Mexico, Guatemala, and Costa Rica are fabulous, each in their own ways.
Honduras and Belize are at the lower end of my ranking, unless you are into
the fantastic diving/snorkeling/beaches. Never been to Nicaragua, so I cant
comment. Panama? Only spent time in the capital, which was a great 24 hour
stopover.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 07:51 AM
Howard Felipe Pine

"JK" wrote in message
3.157...
[...]

If you're gonna be backpacking, you'll inevitably end up running into others
who have already been on "the trail" for months. They will be the best
source for current info, but the trail has been established for decades.
Everyone is aware of the best ruins, the best beaches, etc. Talk to as many
of your fellow travelers as you can, they will help you stay on the trail
and see the best places, while doing it all as cheaply as possible, if
that's what your budget requires.
As for time, you could spend years and never see all of Mexico. I know,
I have........... Feliz Viaje, Howard

Old May 28th, 2004, 07:30 PM
gareth magennis

Hi,

I've just finished a 3 and a half month stint in Central America and 3
months in South America. Everyone has their reasons for liking one
country and not liking so much another, but I would say that about 85
percent of the travellers I met rated Guatamala as their favourite in
Cebtral Anerica, me included.

I flew into Mexico City, but Mexico isn't particularly cheap. Rather
too developed for my taste. Guatamala, on the other hand, is
beautiful, very cheap (especially the wonderful "chicken buses") and
the people very friendly. I found Honduras and Nicuragua a tad
dissapointing except for the incredibly cheap Scuba diving on Utila,
and the carribbean perfection that is the island of Little Corn. If
you like chilling you cant miss this.

I bused through Costa Rica after hearing too many tales of expensive
ecoutourism and no way to avoid it from other travellers, and the only
bit of Panama I saw was Panama City and the airport.

Best thing to do is talk to fellow travellers whilst you're there,
you'll soon get to know which country would suit you.

Gareth.

Old May 29th, 2004, 06:10 PM
John Worthington

Can you offer some more info on Utila and Little Corn? I am intrigued.
Where did you stay? Was it easy to get there?

Also wanted to find out what your budget was on your trip. I've heard that
US$1000/month is sufficient for general backpacker travel in CA/SA, but that
was a few years ago. How about now? I know there is variability between
travelers, but thought you might have some good insight.

Thanks!

"gareth magennis" wrote in message
om...
[...]

93.157...

Old May 29th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Pacal1

but I would say that about 85
percent of the travellers I met rated Guatamala as their favourite in
Cebtral Anerica, me included.

I would agree. I just got back from Panama and had a lot of fun there. Did
you spend any time in Panama.
John Pacal
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
JK

Thanks for everybody's replies. Am still not sure whether to go to
Panama. I need to decide soon though, as a Yellow Fever vaccination is
needed only if I am going to Panama, and it costs £45. Might just get in
anyway.

John, what were your highlights of Panama?

JK

(Pacal1) wrote in
:

Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
gareth magennis

Hi John.

As far as budget goes, USD1000 dollars a month is certainly acheivable
if you choose your countries and length of stay accordingly. You
would not survive on this for long in Mexico but would do pretty well
in Guatamala. Mixing and matching for a few months should mean that
this amount would get you where you want to go, but don't expect too
many luxury's. If you like alcohol every day you could expect to
double this figure. Unless you buy local rum....

Utila is pretty easy to get to - take a ferry from La Ceiba. Simple.

Little Corn is rather different. If you want to go by land (bus,
river, sea ferry) it will take you 3 days from Managua and 5 days to
get back, due to boat timetables. Flying will take a couple of hours
each way.

You know, it's pretty impossible to generalise about costs and how
amazing/crap each country is because its so objective. One mans meat
is another's poison and all that. But, I would say that USD1000 per
month is just about rock bottom for comfort. You could get by on less
and enjoy the freedom and suffering. Double this and you are
laughing, if that is your bag.

Yes, I have reasonable insight. You have to do what's right for you.
If you don't know what that is, you'll just have to find out, won't
you.

Have fun.

Gareth.

Old June 6th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Rod

On 3 Jun 2004 18:31:06 GMT, JK wrote:

Thanks for everybody's replies. Am still not sure whether to go to
Panama. I need to decide soon though, as a Yellow Fever vaccination is
needed only if I am going to Panama, and it costs £45. Might just get in
anyway.

John, what were your highlights of Panama?

JK

We spent 4 months in CA this time last year. We were also unsure about weather
or not to go to Panama - mainly on time constraints (spent too long in Mexico
and Guatemala!!) - but we were glad we did. It's easily as beautiful as Costa
Rica and much more laid back - and quite a bit cheaper. Looking back I wish we'd
stayed there longer and maybe spent a bit less time elsewhere.

Highlights were Panama City - truly one of the worlds great crossroads and Bocas
del Toro where anyone could easily spend a month or so excellent wildlife - good
snorkelling - interesting locals. Didn't have time for much else but of all the
countries we visited I have only really have a desire to go back to Panama and
Mexico.

Rod

ps watch out for the border with Costa Rica at Paso Canoas - mucho corruption.
Better if you can to use the quieter crossing at Guabito - assuming you have a
head for heights!!!