More News

Old January 8th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Steve Austin

Default More News

Count on Cairo, Egypt, most American cities, European cities, and South
American cities going car-free sometime in the near future. And count on
car-free cities being constructed in the Midwest, Southwest, the Pacific
Northwest, and Florida. Three car-free cities are already under construction
in Europe, Egypt, and South Africa. Portland, Oregon has already gone
car-free as have cities in northern China.

Old January 10th, 2004, 11:39 PM
Susan Wachob

Has this changed? Last year, only a small downtown area was.

Susan

Old January 10th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Bill Z.

Scott in Aztlán writes:

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 22:12:48 -0700, "Steve Austin" wrote:

Three car-free cities are already under construction
in Europe, Egypt, and South Africa. Portland, Oregon has already gone
car-free as have cities in northern China.

Many European cities have a pedestrian zone, usually located in the
historical part of town where the streets were layed out before
cars were invented. Examples include Munich, Vienna, Berchtesgaden,
Amsterdam, and Zurich - towns of all sizes.

Vienna and Munich have a number of subway lines that cross under the
pedestrian zone at multiple points, creating an efficient transfer
area (because it is spread out over multiple stations and the
building height is low enough that you don't get really huge
numbers of people piling in - the taller buildings tend to be
closer to the outskirts.

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old January 11th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Steve Austin

There's a car-free city going up in Arizona and a car-free resort/city
called Loreto Bay going up in Mexico. There's one in the Midwest, I believe
in Iowa, called Illichsville that is being established by two artists.
There's a car-free eco-village in Southern California and there's a car-free
city in Scotland. Plus all European, US, Canadian, Mexican, Central and
South American, and Asian cities are all going car-free. That's a major
trend. The auto's demise is not that far off. Mexico City and Guadalajara
all have pedestrian zones. And San Francisco and Berkeley are already going
car-free. Mexico is cracking down on cars. And Bogota, Colombia, is already
car-free. As I said, the automobile's demise is not far off. The CSU campus
in Colorado already is car-free.

wrote:

Three car-free cities are already under construction
in Europe, Egypt, and South Africa. Portland, Oregon has already gone
car-free as have cities in northern China.

Cite.

--
I contribute to charity by not needing it.

Old January 11th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Hatunen

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 08:00:23 -0700, "Steve Austin"
wrote:

There's a car-free city going up in Arizona and a car-free resort/city
called Loreto Bay going up in Mexico. [...]

What's teh one in Arizona? And I do hope you don't mean
Arcosanti. It'll be a cold day in Hell when Arcosanti becomes
even a village.

Old January 11th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Jack May

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
Portland is not car free. Steve is off in fantasy land again. FFM

It is worse than that. World wide the decline of transit is averaging about
19% per decade as car usage increases. Using the data at
http://www.publicpurpose.com/ut-intlmkt95.htm (yes it is Wendell Cox who all
the transit people hate but are always unable to effectively counter with
their own data) I plotted percent market share reduction of transit for
cities in different parts of the world.

The plot is a standard used in large system theory where the X axis is the
log of rank with the highest drop in transit market share being rank of 1
and rank increasing for lower market share drop.

The Y axis is percent market share drop which is generally a log scale.
There were a small number of cities which have a positive increase in
transit usage which is a negative decline which means I used a linear scale.

The curves for Europe, Asia, and the US are similar if you stretch out the
graphs so that they are the same width. For some reason Australia is
different with less loss of market share per decade since 1980.

What this says is that major trend for major cities all over the world (with
a few exceptions) is transit declining and car usage increasing. Exactly
the opposite of what a lot of people claim.

The data I graphed is below.
US/Canada Europe Asia Australia
1 40.85603 ,36.98907 ,39.20339 ,15.51724
2 29.23336 ,22.70957 ,31.94806 ,7.63389
3 24.46133 ,16.5628 ,14.72683 ,6.701597
4 22.7325 ,12.38454 ,11.26972 ,5.370699
5 19.13737 ,11.13354 ,10.61644 ,-4.75174
6 15.22397 ,11.12468 ,9.963725 ,-5.76923
7 14.05941 ,10.70336 ,6.118522
8 12.71288 ,-2.31227
9 11.24511 ,-6.471
10 10.39293
11 9.925812
12 9.070011
13 9.070011
14 8.895906
15 8.895906
16 4.64315
17 4.230436
18 -1.07527
19 -4.05873
20 -5.88454
21 -11.43

Old January 11th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Nelson Lu

Default No News

In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Look, "Steve": you already admitted Berkeley is *not* going car-free anytime
soon, after I posted definitive evidence to the contrary. (I can find the
exact post if you like.) So why are you still making this claim about that place?

Because he's a troll. Ignore him, please.
Old January 11th, 2004, 10:57 PM
David Nebenzahl

On 1/11/2004 7:00 AM Steve Austin spake thus:

... And San Francisco and Berkeley are already going
car-free.

Look, "Steve": you already admitted Berkeley is *not* going car-free anytime
soon, after I posted definitive evidence to the contrary. (I can find the
exact post if you like.) So why are you still making this claim about that place?

--
Focus: A very overrated feature.

- From Marcy Merrill's lexicon at Junk Store Cameras
(http://merrillphoto.com/JunkStoreCameras.htm)