Anything to see driving from Philadelphia to Indianapolis?

Old January 16th, 2004, 04:16 AM
JD

Default Anything to see driving from Philadelphia to Indianapolis?

Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster here. I'll be traveling from Philadelphia to
Indianapolis in May, and as it's looking like I'll be driving, I was
wondering if there are any key attractions or interesting sites I
should try to check out along the way. I've been as far west as
Harrisburg, so I've seen Lancaster County and Hershey and such, but
beyond that I'm clueless, and thus any suggestions would be welcome
and appreciated ;-) BTW, I'll probably be going alone, if that helps
narrow things down any. Thanks a bunch ;-)

JD
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:40 AM
Jon Bell

In article ,
JD wrote:

I'm a first-time poster here. I'll be traveling from Philadelphia to
Indianapolis in May, and as it's looking like I'll be driving, I was
wondering if there are any key attractions or interesting sites I
should try to check out along the way.

Depends on what sort of things you're interested in, and on how much
you're willing to detour from the direct route along the turnpike and
I-70.

I'm a transportation buff myself (particularly railroads), so for what
it's worth...

Dayton has some Wright Brothers related sites and the Air Force Museum
which could keep you busy for a day or two if you have that much time.
For a few hours' stopover I'd suggest Carillon Park south of downtown
which has one of the Wright bicycle shops and a 1905 Wright Flyer airplane
which was restored under supervision of Orville Wright, plus a bunch of
historical buildings and artifacts in an open-air museum.

Johnstown and Pittsburgh have "inclined plane" railways which take you up
to spectacular views of the two cities. Altoona has a railroad museum and
the Horseshoe Curve, a well-known spot for train-watching along the former
Pennsylvania Railroad.

--
Jon Bell Presbyterian College
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:15 AM
Brian K

Pittsburgh, all jokes aside, has much to offer the visitor. Also, Frank
Lloyd Wright's "Falling Water" at Ohio Pile is something to see even if
you aren't an architecture enthusiast.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Old January 16th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Ray

Indianapolis in May, and as it's looking like I'll be driving, I was
wondering if there are any key attractions or interesting sites I
should try to check out along the way.

If you are a football fan, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, OH
which is about a half hour south of Akron.

om...

Old January 16th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Todd Kunioka

"Ray" wrote in message ink.net...
Indianapolis in May, and as it's looking like I'll be driving, I was
wondering if there are any key attractions or interesting sites I
should try to check out along the way.

If you are a football fan, the Pro Football Hall of Fame is in Canton, OH
which is about a half hour south of Akron.

The Little League museum/hall of fame is in Williamsport, PA.

The national aviary is in Pittsburg.

Three Mile Island is, of course, in Harrisburg.

TK

Old January 17th, 2004, 04:13 PM
GSHATTERHAND

If you have any interest in history, you can take the Old National Road (Route
40) starting in Cumberland, MD. It will take you through some pretty county.
The old, original route occassionally veers off to the left or right parallel
to the modern road, taking you throuh small towns with old taverns and
S-bridges.

If the only Amish country you've seen is near Lancaster in PA, then Ohio's
Amish country will surprise you. It's the largest Amish settlement in the world
with enough shops, restaurants and unique lodgings to keep one busy for a week.
It's centered in Holmes County, OH., along route 39 and 557 but sprawls across
three or four counties.
Old January 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM
CC Bailey

JD wrote:
Hi all,

I'm a first-time poster here. I'll be traveling from Philadelphia to
Indianapolis in May, and as it's looking like I'll be driving, I was

There's nothing to see here in Indiana, so I hope you find
lots of things on the drive.