Tour winery in Argentina near BA?

Old October 13th, 2005, 07:26 PM

Default Tour winery in Argentina near BA?

In searching, it looks like there are no wineries near Buenos Aires.
Most seem to be in Mendoza and recommend flying there. How far is it
and is it possible to go by train? I was really looking for a day trip
and don't won't to travel too far but would love to visit a winery.

Old October 13th, 2005, 07:55 PM
John Cisarik

The climate around Buenos Aires is not conducive to viniculture; the area on
both sides of the Andes (Argentina's Mendoza province to the east, Chile's
wine-growing region to the west) has a climate more favorable for grapes.

Unfortunately, there are very few trains in Argentina now, and none between
Buenos Aires and Mendoza; the flight is an hour or more (I've made that
flight three times, but it seems that all flights in Argentina are at least
an hour; it's a big country). So you're out of luck if you want to do a day
trip to a winery. I've heard, though, that the trip by ferry or hydrofoil to
Colonia del Sacramento, across the River Plate in Uruguay, is a nice way to
spend a day.
oups.com...

Old October 13th, 2005, 10:06 PM

I did the trip to Colonia in January and found it to be very
disappointing. There are a few old buildings that are interesting, but
not much else. Whatever you see in the pictures is the best it gets
(and the onyl things to see!).

I may do a day trip or overnight to Montevideo. I've only been there
once about 3 yrs ago and it was only for a day.

The other thing I am considering is a trip to Iguazu Falls. If I am
going to fly anywhere, I think it would be here.

Old October 14th, 2005, 12:57 AM
elliott_moore

To answer your question more directly:
the closest a train gets to Mendoza from Bs. Ar. is to
Cordoba, which is only about 2/3 of the way. A long bus
ride would still be necessary from Cordoba to Mendoza.
There is only a single train/week in each direction.

The train schedule is:
dep Retiro Lunes at 20:10
arr Cordoba Martes 10:10

dep Cordoba Domingos 16:35
arr Retiro Lunes 07:35

Hence the minimum length of your "daytrip" is just
short of one full week!

You may check the schedule for yourself at this link:
http://www.sateliteferroviario.com.a...ios/#C%F3rdoba

Please allow a long time to load, even with a broadband link
or Internet II.

Elliott Moore

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:25 AM
clint

Oh, senora, no va a Buenos Aires! Es muy peligroso. muchas putas gordas e el
cuidad es muy malo! Pero, los vinos esyos buenos!
oups.com...

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Dr. Joel M. Hoffman

The other thing I am considering is a trip to Iguazu Falls. If I am
going to fly anywhere, I think it would be here.

Once you're in the area, you should absolutely fly to Iguazu. It's
one of the most stunning places on earth:

http://www.exc.com/Argentina

I would plan on spending two nights/three days there.

-Joel

Free 35mm lens & digital camera reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

Old October 19th, 2005, 07:28 PM

Flying just seemed like to much of a hassle to visit a winery or 2.
Getting to the airport, security, getting there an hour ahead, etc.

Also thought train could be scenic.

Old October 19th, 2005, 09:57 PM
John Cisarik

wrote in message
oups.com...
Flying just seemed like to much of a hassle to visit a winery or 2.
Getting to the airport, security, getting there an hour ahead, etc.

Also thought train could be scenic.

Flying WOULD BE too much of a hassle if your only reason for going to
Mendoza would be to visit a winery or two. But if you intended to stay in
the city for a few days it might be worth it; Mendoza is much different from
Buenos Aires, and despite being in what is virtually a desert climate it has
thousands of trees, irrigated by a system that was put in place by the
indigenous peoples before the Spanish arrived.

As to scenery, I have been told that the trip overland from Buenos Aires to
Mendoza is boring; nothing but the pampas for hundreds of miles. Other parts
of Argentina are much more worth seeing from a bus or train than this
particular route.

Old October 20th, 2005, 02:33 AM
clint

Oh senora, por favor, no va a Buenos Aires, es verdad muy hermosa, pero
muchos picpokers and putas grandes!
"John Cisarik" wrote in message
oups.com...