Sydney Airport to City - best way?

Old April 6th, 2005, 12:52 AM
John H

The train from Sydney airport to City is a very good way to go! .
I have used it with one large case and carry on luggage for each
of us on numerous occasions without a problem.
Only time where problemn might exist is if you are doing it in peak hour.
Why do you think you will have a problem?
John H
"RaT" wrote in message
What is the best way to get from Sydney Airport to my hotel in the Rocks
area of the city. As there will be 2 of us with a fair bit of luggage

using
the bus/train not particularly suitable. A lot of counties have the

'shared
minibus' type transport, often working out cheaper than a taxi. Does

Sydney
Airport have this? How much would a taxi be, (middle of the day)?

Thanks for any help you can give

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:58 AM
David Bennetts

"John H" wrote in message
The train from Sydney airport to City is a very good way to go! .
I have used it with one large case and carry on luggage for each
of us on numerous occasions without a problem.
Only time where problemn might exist is if you are doing it in peak hour.
Why do you think you will have a problem?
John H

I've used it too quite succesfully, with similar amounts of luggage, using a
wheeled trolley case. But the original poster infers that they have "a fair
bit of luggage". Quite likely without wheels. I've seen enormous amounts of
luggage coming off the carousels which aren't particularly transportable,
you can use the airport provided trolleys to get this stuff to/from taxis,
but you can't take them on the train with you. And at the other end
Circular Quay you'll have no assistance whatever. Getting a cab there
you'll need to pay another flagfall in addition to train fares.

Far easier to just get a taxi - the possible savings using the train would
be miniscule.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old April 6th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Peter Webb

Far easier to just get a taxi - the possible savings using the train would
be miniscule.

Absolutely.

The airport is about 10 minutes drive from the CBD. I reckon a taxi would
cost about $20 outside of peak hour. The train would cost about the same for
two tickets. You might save $2 buying 2 bus tickets and stuffing about. The
cab will take you and your luggage directly to the door of your hotel,
within half an hour of clearing customs. Spend the extra $2.

Old April 6th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Scott Howard

Peter Webb wrote:
The airport is about 10 minutes drive from the CBD. I reckon a taxi would
cost about $20 outside of peak hour. The train would cost about the same for

$30 would be closer, and even that would be if you're lucky...
$4 ED toll, $2 Airport Toll and a $2.75 flag-fall and you're up to $8.75
before you even start moving. (Yes, you can avoid the ED, but it'll
probably end up costing more than it saves).

If you allow 10km for the trip (prolly a bit more via the ED) then that's
another $16, plus a few dollars for waiting time. Plus an extra 20% if
you're before 6am or after 10pm.

That said, it's still probably the best idea unless you're arriving
during peak (especially AM peak).

Scott.

Old April 6th, 2005, 10:53 PM
RaT

Thanks for all the replies. The most convenient way is generally a cab, not
always the cheapest. I have found some info on shared buses on
http://www.kst.com.au/

thanks for that. Seems that will be good value as it is $14 each return.
Seems very good compared to a cab?

Old April 7th, 2005, 04:47 AM
Dave Proctor

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:53:36 +0100, "RaT" wrote:

Thanks for all the replies. The most convenient way is generally a cab, not
always the cheapest. I have found some info on shared buses on
http://www.kst.com.au/

thanks for that. Seems that will be good value as it is $14 each return.
Seems very good compared to a cab?

One thing to bear in mind with KST is that they do not operate to a
timetable. They will sit there and wait until the bus is full, this
can be anywhere up to about 20-30 minutes if it is quiet. You will
also go all over the place dropping everyone else off, if yours will
be the last drop, so you could waste a heap of time.

I would be going the cab with luggage and train without.

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/