Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

Default Vienna ~~~~ Day trip Budapest?

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)" wrote in message
bob fusillo wrote:

Interesting definition of threatening. One of the attractions of the
centre of Vienna IMO is the relative lack of road vehicles. You wouldn't
need a car in Budapest either FWIW.

But alas (in a way), I will have a car -- driving back from Eastern
Hungary to Venice the long way. Rather than struggle with the no cars,
one-way street, expensive parking center, I thought to stay out of town a
bit and take the trolley in. Know of a better and more convenient place to
do so?
rjf

Old February 11th, 2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

bob fusillo wrote:

Interesting definition of threatening. One of the attractions of the
centre of Vienna IMO is the relative lack of road vehicles. You wouldn't
need a car in Budapest either FWIW.

But alas (in a way), I will have a car -- driving back from Eastern
Hungary to Venice the long way. Rather than struggle with the no cars,
one-way street, expensive parking center, I thought to stay out of town a
bit and take the trolley in. Know of a better and more convenient place to
do so?

The lokalbahn tram from Baden to the centre takes a _long_ time. You'd
find it tedious for anything more than a day. The regular train is much
faster, but I still think it would be inconvenient. We stayed at an Etap
hotel (very cheap) near Gasometer, and there was parking there, and it
was close to the subway (a few stops from the centre)- that would strike
me as more convenient for parking your car. The area around Gasometer
isn't that interesting though- and a bit industrial. Baden seemed
pleasant enough, but not very interesting either. Either way, I think
you could stay closer to the centre than Baden.

--
(*) ... of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

Default Vienna ~~~~ Day trips Prague? Budapest?

Ah, but the history.....if that is one's interest, you do need time.

Is there a corner of Europe that isn't smothered in history?
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com

'til true.

But Vienna is particularly important for anyone with a broader interest in
Central Europe, having ruled (or "protected") parts of modern Czech Rep.,
Slovakia, Poland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia,
Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary, Romania, and probably something else I'm
forgetting. Some of those countries' treasures are still in Vienna. (I
remember museum guides in several places telling me that, someway sadly).

To the OP, if you do love history, don't miss the Imperial Treasury at the
Hofburg.

Old February 12th, 2007, 07:54 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bob fusillo

bob fusillo wrote:

The lokalbahn tram from Baden to the centre takes a _long_ time. You'd
find it tedious for anything more than a day. The regular train is much
faster, but I still think it would be inconvenient. We stayed at an Etap
hotel (very cheap) near Gasometer, and there was parking there, and it
was close to the subway (a few stops from the centre)- that would strike
me as more convenient for parking your car. The area around Gasometer
isn't that interesting though- and a bit industrial. Baden seemed
pleasant enough, but not very interesting either. Either way, I think
you could stay closer to the centre than Baden.

Thanks. I have bookmarked the Etap you mention. Sounds too cheap to be true.
But at my back I always hear the thrumming of that ghastly spring/summer of
a couple of years back: we broke down and got AC in our Venice flat in order
to survive. August in Vienna, I am told, can be hot even when there is not
a heat wave. I hate to sound like an old gink ( says the old gink) -- I
shall keep Etap on the back burner for a bit. But AC for me if at all
affordable.
rjf

Old February 12th, 2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor

bob fusillo wrote:

[...]

Oddly, when we were there, it was almost cool! This was mid-July.
Everyone complained that it was unseasonal though. The Etap is a real
bargain- like I said, boring area, but it's dependable in the Accor Etap
way. It was the cheapest hotel we stayed at on the trip, which included
Krakow, Budapest and Bratislava- in those cities we stayed in Ibis
hotels, which is a bit higher in price usually.