Do we need tickets to go to the Leaning Tower?

Old July 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Do we need tickets to go to the Leaning Tower?

I just found this website that sells tickets for the Leaning Tower
(apparently 10 tickets for every 20 minute interval at 17 Euro per
person). Is it important to buy these in advance or can we just buy
them when we arrive? Is there a risk of losing out? We'll be in Pisa
on a Tuesday in mid-August and probably see the Tower at about 11:00
AM.

Thanks a bunch.
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:29 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Jul 23, 9:28*pm, wrote:
I just found this website that sells tickets for the Leaning Tower
(apparently 10 tickets for every 20 minute interval at 17 Euro per
person). *Is it important to buy these in advance or can we just buy
them when we arrive? *Is there a risk of losing out? *We'll be in Pisa
on a Tuesday in mid-August and probably see the Tower at about 11:00
AM.

Thanks a bunch.

Ooops! I neglected to include the URL for the advance tickets.

http://boxoffice.opapisa.it/Torre/se...=2006&m=8&g=15
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Bennetts

wrote in message
I just found this website that sells tickets for the Leaning Tower
(apparently 10 tickets for every 20 minute interval at 17 Euro per
person). Is it important to buy these in advance or can we just buy
them when we arrive? Is there a risk of losing out? We'll be in Pisa
on a Tuesday in mid-August and probably see the Tower at about 11:00
AM.

Thanks a bunch.

My brother returned recently from a visit to Italy, and said that climbers
are very restricted in number. Given that you are going to be there in the
height of the tourist season at the busiest time of day I'd suggest that if
you want to climb the tower you pre-book to avoid disappointment.

I climbed the tower on my first visit to Europe in 1969. It was a weird
experience climbing the spiral staircase, with the lean on the tower, the
stairs varied in difficulty depending which side you were on. Was certainly
memorable. At that time I don't recall any restrictions, but we're in a
different world today with health and safety issues, and care of the
monument itself.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to David Bennetts

It was a weird
experience climbing the spiral staircase, with the lean on the tower, the
stairs varied in difficulty depending which side you were on

it is weird, isnt it. When we got on top, the bells went off, eek :-)

no handrails I remember.
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

David Bennetts wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

the tower had been closed for a few years after yr visit. They made
consolidation works and restored a few parts.
then there was the choice of limiting the number of visitors. and rising the
price of climbing

again. I recommend visiting the other monuments around the tower. and the
churchyard. the tower is nice being looked at

Old July 24th, 2008, 12:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike.....[_5_]

Following up to tile

I recommend visiting the other monuments around the tower. and the
churchyard. the tower is nice being looked at

one thing I didnt realise until much later is that there are other leaning
towers in Italy.
--
Mike........
remove clothing to email
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

Mike..... wrote on Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:23:58 +0100:

I recommend visiting the other monuments around the tower.
and the churchyard. the tower is nice being looked at

one thing I didnt realise until much later is that there are
other leaning towers in Italy.

San Gimignano has rather a collection, all leaning somewhat in different
directions. The angles are not as great as that in Pisa but it seems to
have been the custom for each petty noble (successful mafia?) family to
erect a tower. Some have fallen and it seems ambition exceeded
engineering skill but the town is worth visiting, IMHO.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old July 24th, 2008, 02:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Anderson

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:23:58 +0100, "Mike....."
wrote:

Following up to tile

I recommend visiting the other monuments around the tower. and the
churchyard. the tower is nice being looked at

one thing I didnt realise until much later is that there are other leaning
towers in Italy.

A couple I know of in the UK too........

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/3...6b7ef5.jpg?v=0

and Chesterfield's church tower doesn't so much lean as twist.....

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/chesterfield_church.jpg

Keith (formerly of Bristol UK)
now moved to Berlin/nach Berlin umgezogen
Old July 24th, 2008, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Keith Anderson" kirjoitti
om...
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 12:23:58 +0100, "Mike....."
wrote:

Following up to tile

I recommend visiting the other monuments around the tower. and the
churchyard. the tower is nice being looked at

one thing I didnt realise until much later is that there are other leaning
towers in Italy.

A couple I know of in the UK too........

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/170/3...6b7ef5.jpg?v=0

and Chesterfield's church tower doesn't so much lean as twist.....

http://www.derbyshireuk.net/chesterfield_church.jpg

Britons and Italians aren't that good building constructors.