I finally did it!

Old March 10th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Watergirl

Default I finally did it!

I found this post below while researching some travel hot spots about
6 months ago. My husband and I travel quite often and wanted to learn
something new to add to our excursions. We always partook in the
group guided tours and were getting quite bored. So, once I read the
following post about scuba diving, I was toast! I just recently
completed my open water certification and received my C-card in the
mail today. I am just so excited, I had to let everyone know! And
hopefully I could help bring more people to the sport of scuba diving!

POST
I admit it feels weird the first time. The constricting
mask on your face, the clumsy feeling of fins on your feet, and the
heavy gear on your back. You ease your way into the water for the
first time with all this foreign gear on and anxiously wonder what is
going to happen when you take your first look underwater. What was it
you were supposed to do once submerged? Are there going to be sharks
waiting for me? Was my air turned on? Note to self: Remember to
breathe! Your face slips below the surface and you take those first
quick jolts of breath for the first time underwater. The weight of
the gear becomes light and buoyant. You are so fixed on the amazing
landscape in this new world; your breathing slows to a melodic lull.
Your eyes are wide open at all there is to see you swear they will pop
out at any moment.

WOW! Now your life will never be the same.

Everyone tries scuba diving for different reasons. Whether it is for
the adrenaline, the exploration, or the sense of being one with
nature, scuba diving offers all of this and more.

If adrenaline is what you crave, go ahead and take a dive in the
Cayman Islands where you are dropped off in 50 ft of water and you
follow the gradual decline of the coral reef about 100 ft to a
magnificent wall that drops off into the abyss. Go ahead and swim out
over the abyss, paralleling the wall and turn around to face the wall.
Imagine what is lurking out in the deep dark blue ocean, behind you,
and remember to breathe! Talk about adrenaline!

So you're the exploring type…no worries! Just suit up and head out to
your local cavern hot spot in the good ol state of Florida. Here you
can dive Peacock Springs, which is considered to be the largest
underwater cave system in the USA. Containing a total of 28,000 feet
of underwater passages, you can explore to your hearts content! Or
until you have enough air left to return you to the surface.

And for you nature buffs, you have come to the right place. Nowhere
else can you see an environment that even comes close to the
abundance, diversity and vibrancy of a pristine coral reef. There are
so many species you can see in 10 minutes underwater that you couldn't
even conceive seeing topside in the most remote of places!

Scuba diving allows you to do an activity at your own pace. Whether
you want the adrenaline and excitement or if you want the peace and
serenity, you can find it in scuba diving. You can do it strictly for
fun and recreation or you can take it further and get specific
certifications to advance to a career. That is the great thing about
scuba diving! You can take it as far as you like! But don't say I
didn't warn you of the "addiction factor"!

So don't take my word on all of this! Get out to your local dive shop
and get signed up for a Discover Scuba Course. No matter how much I
talk up the sport of scuba diving, or how great of adjectives I use to
describe it, nothing comes close to the sensations, sights, sounds and
utter thrill of being underwater until you experience it for yourself.