European vacation

Old October 13th, 2006, 08:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
A J Smith

Default European vacation

We are booking air flight for our European vacation in May 2007. We wish to
see Rome, Paris and London for our first European trip. We are planning
several days sight seeing in each city. So far our open jaw flight booking
is around $1000 each person.

From SFO to Rome on a Monday. Return from London to SFO on a Thursday. (That
is on AA). We will fly one way from Rome to Paris. (Probably on budget
European Airline).

Can you suggest any better itinerary? Thank you.

Old October 13th, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

A J Smith wrote:
From SFO to Rome on a Monday. Return from London to SFO on a Thursday. (That
is on AA). We will fly one way from Rome to Paris. (Probably on budget
European Airline).

Can you suggest any better itinerary? Thank you.

Call a travel agent who specializes in discounted and/or multistop
air tickets. They should be able to get you the one-way included with your
whole pack of tickets for much less than what you'd pay by trying to
make separate bookings by yourself.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old October 14th, 2006, 12:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
A J Smith

Kiraly, This is the best internet price we got from Orbitz and Onetravel so
far for one stop over open jaw flights. The nearest travel agent price is at
$1500 a piece with 2 to 3 stop over flights.

We were considering round trip to London first. But then, when we return
from Rome to SFO, we will have to come back to London again.

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Peer

Have you tried flights.com? Or kayak.com?

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Peer

Also, you might want to get out of the big cities where you'll be
surrounded by Americans. How about Udine instead of (or in addition to)
Rome, Cotswalds (Stowe on the Wold) instead of London, etc..

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Király[_1_]

A J Smith wrote:
Kiraly, This is the best internet price we got from Orbitz and Onetravel so
far for one stop over open jaw flights. The nearest travel agent price is at
$1500 a piece with 2 to 3 stop over flights.

RUN, don't walk, away from that agent. They are obviously inexperienced
in the kind of travel you want to do. You need an agent that
specializes in discounted multistop flights. If you can put the effort
into finding one with this specialty it will pay off.

Mom & Pop Agents that specialize in cruises and package deals to
Disneyland and Hawaii are not the place to look for multistop air
tickets. Definitely call around before booking online. Booking online
will rarely get you the best price.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old October 14th, 2006, 09:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

A J Smith wrote:
This is the best internet price we got from
Orbitz and Onetravel so far for one stop
over open jaw flights. The nearest travel
agent price is at $1500 a piece with 2 to 3
stop over flights.

I usually book my flights 6-8 weeks out for a R/T Boston-Rome in March
but this year I went in late April/mid-May.

Perhaps I could do better on price (waiting for deals, etc) but for a
week or so I check the major online companies like Orbitz, the airlines
themselves and then book.

I usually end up booking BA and directly thru them because the prices
are all in the same ballpark.

My point is, last April my airfare was ~$850, Mar '05 ~$750, Mar '04
~$700.
So $1000 for an open-jaw SFO-Rome/London-SFO seems like a good price,
at least to me.

Also on your Rome-Paris budget airline leg there is another option.
Of course flying would be easier but if you want a different
experience, there is an overnight sleeper train (leaves Rome early
evening-arrives Paris mid-morning).
If interested check-out www.seat61.com for info, also there's info on
the Eurostar Train. Regards, Walter

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2006-10-13 14:34:24 -0500, "A J Smith" said:

We are booking air flight for our European vacation in May 2007. We wish to
see Rome, Paris and London for our first European trip. We are planning
several days sight seeing in each city. So far our open jaw flight booking
is around $1000 each person.

From SFO to Rome on a Monday. Return from London to SFO on a Thursday. (That
is on AA). We will fly one way from Rome to Paris. (Probably on budget
European Airline).

Can you suggest any better itinerary? Thank you.

Let me get this straight, you're flying in on a Monday and out on a
Thursday, leaving Tuesday and Wednesday to see Rome, Paris and London?
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erick T. Barkhuis[_1_]

Dan Stephenson:
On 2006-10-13 14:34:24 -0500, "A J Smith" said:

From SFO to Rome on a Monday. Return from London to SFO on a Thursday.

Let me get this straight, you're flying in on a Monday and out on a
Thursday, leaving Tuesday and Wednesday to see Rome, Paris and London?

_A_ Monday, and _a_ Thursday.
As I understand this: flying in on Monday week-1, and returning Thursday
week-2.
About ten days should be sufficient to see a bit of three cities, albeit
just the hotel neighborhood and the center of town. With some
preparation, it's not a ridiculously short trip.

--
Erick
Old October 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank F. Matthews

Dan Stephenson:

On 2006-10-13 14:34:24 -0500, "A J Smith" said:

From SFO to Rome on a Monday. Return from London to SFO on a Thursday.

Let me get this straight, you're flying in on a Monday and out on a
Thursday, leaving Tuesday and Wednesday to see Rome, Paris and London?

_A_ Monday, and _a_ Thursday.
As I understand this: flying in on Monday week-1, and returning Thursday
week-2.
About ten days should be sufficient to see a bit of three cities, albeit
just the hotel neighborhood and the center of town. With some
preparation, it's not a ridiculously short trip.

Or even Thursday 6 weeks later.