European vacation

Old October 16th, 2006, 05:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

Default European vacation

Poetic Justice wrote:
michaelj wrote:
I checked again on Economy Travel. You
can book up to four tickets at a time
online. British Airways SFO to Rome
returning from Heathrow-SFO at $670
leaving on May 8 returning May 22.

Except the 'after taxes' Economy Travel total is $958US.

But if you book directly thru BA the after taxes price is $952 (same
flights & dates).

$6 cheaper and no middleman to go thru if you have any problems.
Regards, Walter

Walter,

I'm not sure how you got to $958 from $670. That's a LOT of taxes.

Michael

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old October 16th, 2006, 08:42 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Erick T. Barkhuis wrote:
A J Smith:
Lets' calcluate:

Overnight Train ticket for 3 persons, 300 euro each = 900 euro.

I thought we were talking 386 _dollars_ for two persons, so 900 euros for
three is a bit steep. More like 500 euros.
Still much more than the plane, and as Michael claimed, a train often
offers possibilities for getting off and do some sightseeing down the
road.

Hotel 1 room for 3 persons, with extra sleep = 150 to 200 euro a night.

I happen to know a very nice B&B which charges only 69 euros for a double
and a single room, shared spacious bathroom and excellent breakfast.
Unfortunately, not anywhere near Rome, Paris or London.
:-)

Isn't 150-200 euros for one night in one room a bit harsh?

Or am I missing something?

Depends. What were you looking for?

For longer inter-city distances, such as Rome to Paris, I wouldn't use
the train. It really is much longer. I've always preferred train travel
in principle for the reasons you mention (views of the Alps, and
chatting with people, more relaxed check-in, etc). But I'd save it for
Rome-Milan, Milan-Nice, Brussels-Paris.

http://www.cannes-or-bust.com/
Old October 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

michaelj wrote:
I'm not sure how you got to $958 from
$670. That's a LOT of taxes.

I got that 'after taxes' total price by going to your website
http://www.bargaintraveleurope.com/A...h_Discount.htm
and clicking-on the 'Economy Travel' that you mentioned in your post for
the $670 fare.

I used the May 8 and May 22 dates for the SFO-FCO LHR-SFO 'open jaw'
ticket and picked the British Air booking for $670.

I went thru the booking procedure and picked my flights (BA 286, 556,
285).
Then those flights and dates came-up along with the price, which was
this

All prices displayed in USD
Adult1 x 670.00 Taxes1 x
287.91 TOTAL957.91

Try it yourself and see what airfare you come up with. Regards, Walter

Old October 16th, 2006, 05:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
michaelj

Poetic Justice wrote:
Except the 'after taxes' Economy Travel
total is $958US.
But if you book directly thru BA the after
taxes price is $952 (same flights & dates).
$6 cheaper and no middleman to go thru if
you have any problems. Regards, Walter

..And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Walter,

You're right. My bad. It does come out the same as other web fares by
not listing airport taxes in the listed fares. I'll note that
regarding them.

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:22 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
A J Smith

Michael, that is very typical of taxes on air flights. Take a look at any
Orbitz pricing and you will see, its all around US$1000 a piece.
Those $670 prices does not include taxes. So a fair comparison must use
total price including taxes and fee.

"michaelj" wrote in message
oups.com...