Travel Lodge on BBC TV

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

Default Travelodge on BBC TV

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:00:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

In that case can we trust the BBC? discuss

An entertainment program masquerading as consumer affairs, no I don't
think we can trust them not to put the most negative spin they can on
any story to maximise the interest.

Jim.
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim\(yet another new home\)

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate" wrote in message
news:1hns5xz.hd972t1923qkkN%this_address_is_for_sp ...
tim(yet another new home) wrote:

"David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate" wrote in message
news:1hns58e.f4cw6d1lm1xrrN%this_address_is_for_sp ...
Martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:17:58 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:
[]
I've never had a problem with a travelodge booking, and must have
stayed
in different ones for a total of 30 nights over the last three years.
I'd say it's a highly unlikely probability that they are overbooked.
didn't see the BBC programme, but I'd actually want to know how many
people it has happened to before I decided it was a risk factor. I'm
sure it's a ****ty experience when Ryanair cancels a flight, but
again,
it's not something I'd worry about because it happens so rarely.

Read the report on program on the BBC website somebody posted a link
to. Travelodge admitted having a policy of overbooking, compared
themselves to an airline, no mention of compensation that airlines
must pay to victims of overbooking

I know that, but I'm more interested to know how often it actually
happens. I had to move hotels in Dublin because Jurys screwed up a
booking. They're more expensive than travelodge. By that logic, I
assume
you'll not use Jurys ever? After all, they screwed up with me 100% of
the time in Dublin.

The problem with TL was they they didn't just move you to
another hotel, they moved you to another TL. Could be
80 miles away.

I think that they said that 3 out of 5 of their bookings
got bumped. I guess that they turned up as late as
possible for that to happen.

So, if 3 out of 5 of their bookings get bumped, why have I never been
bumped, turning up often late at night?

I don't know where you get the 3 out of 5 thing from.

I was quoting the man on the telly.

tim

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

[...]

Oh, 3 out of 5 of their bookings, OK. I'm sure they're right, but it's
never happened to me.

--
David Horne-
http://www.davidhorne.net
Old October 25th, 2006, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:07:53 GMT, (Jim Ley) wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:00:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

In that case can we trust the BBC? discuss

An entertainment program masquerading as consumer affairs, no I don't
think we can trust them not to put the most negative spin they can on
any story to maximise the interest.

I only saw the closing minutes of it. The whole style of BBC dumbed
down consumer programs really irritates me.

Radio 4 does a bit better, but generally, if it's something I know a bit
about, I just scream at the telly or radio. Let's have another programme
which begins "I bet when _you_ go abroad, you don't realise you have to
_pay_ for receiving calls." No. Obviously not. I have no brain
whatsoever, and I never investigated the call costs involved when
roaming with my provider. I deserve a refund.

Old October 25th, 2006, 10:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:28:02 +0100,
(David Horne, _the_ chancellor of
the royal duchy of city south and deansgate) wrote:

Martin wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 21:07:53 GMT,
(Jim Ley) wrote:

On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 22:00:23 +0200, Martin wrote:

In that case can we trust the BBC? discuss

An entertainment program masquerading as consumer affairs, no I don't
think we can trust them not to put the most negative spin they can on
any story to maximise the interest.

I only saw the closing minutes of it. The whole style of BBC dumbed
down consumer programs really irritates me.

Radio 4 does a bit better, but generally, if it's something I know a bit
about, I just scream at the telly or radio. Let's have another programme
which begins "I bet when _you_ go abroad, you don't realise you have to
_pay_ for receiving calls." No. Obviously not. I have no brain
whatsoever, and I never investigated the call costs involved when
roaming with my provider. I deserve a refund.

and all these people the BBC finds who move abroad without a clue
about earning a living or anything else and all the "experts", who
lose money at auctions every week.

Did you watch the one about the Scottish podiatrist who moved to
Tuscany? (without success!)