Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:27 AM
Tom & Linda

Default Just returned from cruise - don't get it...

"Bill C" wrote in message

I just posed the question of "Who would like a 7 day cruise to nowhere?"

on
cruisecritic the other day and out of close to 30 responses only 3 said

no.
I think after you have been to the same ports over and over MOST people
would much prefer the ship to another port call of the same old place. My
wife and I love days at sea and could do a 7 day cruise to nowhere.

Bill

My ideal cruise would be a 7-night, 6-port Southern Caribbean sailing with
6 great snorkeling ports.

Sea days? Waste to me.

Give me the best of both. 3-4 Hours at the beach snorkeling in the morning,
and the ship in the afternoon, quiet with everyone else still in port.

--Tom

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:35 AM
E.k.R.

"Charles" wrote in message
d...
The disconnect is that you put so much emphasis on the ships. For many
of us the emphasis is on the vacation, the experience, not what is
unique about the ship. We would want nice beautiful ships with all the
amenities. We don't care that much about unique.

--
Charles

For me a huge part of the experience *is* the ship. I've already been to
most places that cruises sail to, so I'm onboard more for the ship then
where she sails. In fact transatlantic crossings with no ports are probably
my favorite type cruise of all. Time to get to know my fellow passengers,
relax, and truly get a feeling for the ship with no distractions. I know
there are others that feel the same way I do, so when a ship is unique and
stands out in a crowd, it usually equals a better "experience" for me.
Certainly more interesting. The fact that QM2 is so popular only proves
there are others that feel the same way I do. While we may be in the
minority overall, our feelings are no less valid.

Ernie

Old July 13th, 2004, 01:59 AM
Benjamin Smith

Ray Goldenberg wrote:

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:37:16 GMT, Benjamin Smith
wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, many businesses can be this way, including
small cruise lines. If one can have a bed and breakfast with 6 rooms and
stay in business for 25 years through many types of economic up and down
periods and be booked solid and maintain the character of their product
then it *can* be done. The prices are moderate and because it is
*small*, they don't have vacancy problems.

Hi Ben,

Is Oceania what you are looking for?

I mention it as an "inn" type of cruise line. We'll see what happens. I
just hope they stick with 2 ships for awhile and emphasize the cruise
experience over expanding their fleet.

Ben

Best regards,
Ray
LIGHTHOUSE TRAVEL
800-719-9917 or 805-566-3905
http://www.lighthousetravel.com

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Benjamin Smith

Charles wrote:

In article et,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

The point is this one ship stands out amoung the many. If one more is
built she becomes a series ship, and loses her unique appeal.

The disconnect is that you put so much emphasis on the ships.

Um... Ernie was talking about new ships and the sameness of them and the
QM2 standing out as being unique. There's something special about having
one of what seems like dozens of newbuilds being a one-off and unique.

For many
of us the emphasis is on the vacation, the experience, not what is
unique about the ship. We would want nice beautiful ships with all the
amenities. We don't care that much about unique.

Apparently some of us just may want a unique experience, unique vacation
on a unique ship. Comments about homogeneity of International crew by
Ernie, my comments about canned comments from CDs, Park West auction are
part of experience as well. I don't believe in total I'm putting
emphasis on just the ship.

Ben S.

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Ray Goldenberg

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 00:59:36 GMT, Benjamin Smith
wrote:

I mention it as an "inn" type of cruise line. We'll see what happens. I
just hope they stick with 2 ships for awhile and emphasize the cruise
experience over expanding their fleet.

Hi Ben,

They have a 3rd ship but I believe it they are still chartering her to
another company. What is this "We'll see what happens." g Why
aren't you putting your money where your heart is? You harangue and
criticize all of the cruise companies for not building a cruise line
to your specifications and you are not financially supporting and
promoting the closest that we have to your ideal. I really don't
understand that mentality.

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:27 AM
Charles

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Apparently some of us just may want a unique experience, unique vacation
on a unique ship. Comments about homogeneity of International crew by
Ernie, my comments about canned comments from CDs, Park West auction are
part of experience as well. I don't believe in total I'm putting
emphasis on just the ship.

I was reading a few more reviews of the Celebrity Xpeditions. That
seems to offer a unique experience.

--
Charles
Old July 13th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Tom & Linda

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tom & Linda wrote:

"Benjamin Smith" wrote in message
nk.net...

That's exactly how I feel. None of the new ships from the mainstream
interest me whatsoever and the building boom has lost its momentum as
the new ships don't really offer anything significant. As you say, they
are just some version of something that exists in some form or another.
A few more features, balconies, alternative restaurants. Yawn. The QM2
has to remain unique for me to stay interested in her. One more, just
one more of her and she loses her unique appeal.

They build thousands of Corvettes a year, and yet they retain their

unique
appeal.

I submit that it's not how few they build that gives them unique appeal,

but
how unique and special they are.

A luxury liesure ship is not a sports car. Two different products.

Ben

But I look at some ships as having unique appeal. Voyager class for
example. And I think QM2 would even if there were more than 1.

--Tom

Old July 13th, 2004, 02:48 AM
Benjamin Smith

Charles wrote:

In article . net,
Benjamin Smith wrote:

Apparently some of us just may want a unique experience, unique vacation
on a unique ship. Comments about homogeneity of International crew by
Ernie, my comments about canned comments from CDs, Park West auction are
part of experience as well. I don't believe in total I'm putting
emphasis on just the ship.

I was reading a few more reviews of the Celebrity Xpeditions. That
seems to offer a unique experience.

It does, I don't see how it fits in with Celebrity's style, however.

Ben