MOAGC CELEBRITY INFINITY REVIEW 2/5/2006 - 2/12/2006

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default MOAGC CELEBRITY INFINITY REVIEW 2/5/2006 - 2/12/2006

CELEBRITY INFINITY--MOAGC2 2/5-2006-2/12-2006

On February 4th, after we got off the MSC Opera, we overnighted in Fort
Lauderdale..Joining us at our hotel this time were Erm & Bill and Barbara &
Cotton who all were attending the 15th St. Fisheries Restaurant get together
with us that night in order to visit with some of the people they wanted to
see who were going on the MOAGC the next day.. They (Erm, Bill, Barbara &
Cotton) were leaving for Orlando the next day with Barb and Cotton driving
their van..Tobie and Barb were staying at a different location, but Tobie
had rented a van and he and Barb gave us a lift to the restaurant and
back...back after a visit to Walgreens that is! It was a joke..I was coming
down with a sore throat and wanted to get some medication and it turned into
a shopping spree for all the women!!! You'd be surprised what you can find
in a Walgreen's in Florida!

Anyway, we all had a very nice dinner at the 15th St. Fisheries joining up
with Bob and Jo-Ann Bieda, Sue and Kevin Mullen and Delma and Harry. It was
so good seeing them all again..I was very pleased to see how well Bob Bieda
was doing after all that he had been through the past year with his health
problems...Everyone looked great...not aging a bit since we last saw them!

Next morning Tobie and Barb came from their hotel in time for us all to go
to 9:00 am Mass at St. Anthony's, which was not very far away...After Mass,
we bid Erm & Bill and Barbara and Cotton sad farewells as they left for
Orlando and we returned Tobie's van to the airport and hopped on a colorful
bus to the pier.

MASTER OF INFINITY---Captain Dimitrios Kafetzis
STAFF CAPTAIN---Michael Symbouras
CRUISE DIRECTOR---Nick Weir

Captain Kafetzis is a 38 year old single man...said to be the youngest
cruise Master on the seas..He was a good looking Greek with a terrific
personality. Before we reached Puerto Rico, he announced that a pleasure
vessel had sent a distress signal and that he was changing course to provide
aid...Later he came back on the intercom and said that he was going back on
course as a rescue had been made, with all survivors accounted for, by the
US Coast Guard, the best damn Coast Guard in the whole world! Those were
his exact words! How could you not like a guy like that? Nice to hear
something nice about our country for a change!

EMBARKATION:
Was a breeze..we had printed boarding passes which we had printed at home
weeks before the cruise...I think they may have made embarkation a tad
faster than Opera's was, but if so, that was due mainly to the boarding
passes..So we were really fortunate with speedy embarkation on both
ships...We were greeted graciously as we boarded with champagne and
mimosas...A crew member took my carry-on bags and we and Tobie and Barb
parted ways as their cabin was towards the front, while ours was at the very
stern...

CABIN:
Wow!... is the best I can muster...we were smack middle of the ship's wake
and had a handicapped cabin that was humongous!
The balcony was almost as big as the cabin! We measured the balcony with an
*itty bitty* tape measure that I carry in my purse which unfolds to 40"..It
was approx.14'.6" x 19'.3"... We had a lot of cabin space since it was a
handicapped cabin..When we booked this, I wanted a balcony cabin mid-stern
but never dreamed it would be this large...We had chosen Concierge Class and
there was a bottle of sparkling wine on ice and a basket of fruit on the
small glass top table...Each afternoon, canapés were delivered..
On the vanity, was a tubular vase of pink alstroemeria..the vase was made up
of about eight tubular sections that you could shape into a semi-circle,
zig-zag or just a straight line...lovely touch. . The bed had been made into
a king sized one with night stands containing two more drawers standing
along each side of the bed, adorned by a lamp each..The bed had a coverlet
of blue print with a blue striped bed skirt.. The bed was very comfortable
with a variety of pillows..feather, polyester, etc..with different
thicknesses..Loved the soft feather ones...The comforter was thick and
similar to those on HAL..There was also a single sized sofa bed in gold
upholstery that looked like a small loveseat in the far corner of the
cabin..

There was plenty of closet space with one large closet with removable wooden
hangers and a section with shelves, a safe and about 6-8 deep drawers..can't
remember...just that it was quite adequate...Our cabin steward brought me
extra hangers as I chose to hang everything we needed for both cruises so
they would not wrinkle so much.

We had a locked refrigerator which was stocked and a TV sat on the top of
it..We asked the cabin steward to unlock it as sometimes we did not eat our
canapés right away and stored them there. Next to the refrigerator was an in
wall ceiling to floor bookshelf that had the books on the cruise line that
are usually put on the vanity desk or table on other lines. It also had two
other shelves for us to store things in.

The bathroom was enormous---about 7x 8 ft. with a shower 3' x 5' that had a
hand held shower head, two wire shelves and a vinyl covered seat that you
could fold down if you wished...typical of a handicapped bathroom I
guess..The only downfall was that the lip around the shower stall was very
low...water sloshed out whenever we took showers while ship was moving...the
drain was in the wrong corner...back against the wall instead of the front
where all the water ran..Some water escaped even when the ship was not
moving!I complained the first time that Ed used it and the floor got
wet,drenching the two bath mats; thinking that he had not been careful
enough...then I got into it and flooded the entire bathroom to the point
that it even went into the hallway and they had to bring in an industrial
blow dryer to get it dry!! Stuck my foot in my mouth that time! We got the
room steward, Jose, to leave us several extra large white towels each day to
place around the shower lip and we learned to take showers in the early
evening before the ship picked up speed later, as it did each night...

The bathroom had one glass shelf on each side of the mirror and a cotton and
Q-tip plastic container.. A liquid soap dispenser graced the side sink
wall...They had nice thick round bars of soap, bottles of lotion and
shampoo..no hair conditioner. There was also a shampoo dispenser in the
shower.

Concierge Class passengers had lovely large peach towels and bath mats (2)
alternating with mint green ones every few days..The washcloths were rolled
and placed in an X position on the sink..reminding you that you were on
Celebrity!

The public areas on this ship were done in very tasteful colors..pleasing
and often soothing to the eye..I went around taking photos of the different
carpet designs. There were some worn and soiled areas but the carpeting was
so attractive that I'd like to see it replaced with the very same design.

We loved our cabin, but did not enjoy the shower and its problems..Also were
surprised to see soiled areas in the carpeting and some cigarette burns in
the carpeting near the refrigerator. They did not vacuum daily as I often
found little things that I saw on the floor before we left our cabin to be
made up..We tend to keep our cabin neat and never leave anything out that
should be in a closet or drawer..So maybe Jose and his assistant did not
think it needed it!

SAFETY DRILL:
We were assigned to the Rendez-Vous Lounge...It was done swiftly with the
usual demonstration by crew members as to how to correctly put on your life
jacket and then we went out on deck to the area where our lifeboats were
located.

FOOD:
I must say that the food was quite good..almost as good as on our last
Conquest cruise! Seriously, we had no complaints in this area..Even found
the chocolate croissants that Tom is always talking about! The coffee on
this ship was very much to my liking.
Just coming off an Italian vessel, it was nice not to have it sooo strong!
But that is my preference!
The buffet had a large selection. Plenty of fresh fruit and a nice variety
of choices.
Excellent pizza, even though the crust was thicker than what I usually like;
it was very good..
Dinner had a chilled soup selection each night and since they are my
favorites, I always ordered them...We could have shrimp cocktail every
night, if we wished.
The lobster was excellent and our waiter removed it from its shell for each
of us...I was reluctant to order lobster after the lobster we had on the MS
Opera..It came with a tiny piece of tasteless lobster and the area near the
tail was filled with bread crumbs. They came with melted butter in a gravy
boat and poured it on, leaving a pasty mess of bread crumbs. a disaster!
They clearly had no clue as to how to prepare lobster but really excelled in
their Italian dishes.

We chose early dining--6 pm-and we were on the lower level..Our tablemates
were Tobie & Barb and Kate and her daughter, Sue.. Good food and good
companions with interesting conversations made our evening meals very
pleasant! . Sometimes, Tobie did misbehave ;-)...like when he tried to get
me to try his sweetbread appetizer! We tried very hard to make it a table
of eight in order for Peggy & Dee to sit with us, but to no avail..Dee had
some very interesting stories about his baseball career that we really
enjoyed listening to..The maitre d' said it just was not possible..I spoke
numerous times to the assistant maitre d' and he informed me, *Madame, I am
not in *shhagge* of the seating.* I did not like that man..he was toooo
artificial and shifty eyed..he was especially nice to everyone on tip
night...even pushed wheel chairs and went from table to table collecting his
tip envelopes...so obviously! We made him wait for ours and gave it to him
as we left the dining room.
We had chosen automatic tipping and Celebrity leaves envelopes in your cabin
on the day before tipping is done..There are notes inside them indicating
that we had chosen automatic tipping...This is what I wish other cruise
lines would do, also..Much nicer when leaving the dining room and easier if
you wish to add any more for a tip.
Everyone, except *Madame, I am not in shhagge of the seating* and the head
housekeeper, whom we never saw, got extra.

We even sought out the assistant housekeeper who was from India and gave him
a cash tip...I guess the room steward probably shares with him, but he was
worth the extra...Every night around 8 pm, a horrific smell would literally
permeate the bathroom...It was a very penetrating sewer smell that would
give me a headache and make me sick to my stomach...I tried opening the
balcony door for a half hour, lighting some matches so that the sulfur odor
would predominate...but no luck...I spoke to the assistant room steward and
he would come in and spray a deodorizer that would diminish it quite a
bit..he told us that it always happened when they were doing some thing with
the waste products..Limited English prohibited him from explaining exactly
what..but yuck, it really was bad!! Probably because we had three sewer
drains in our bathroom..It would last for about an hour and then, poof, just
disappear...Sometimes when we walked down certain hallways, we could smell
it, too.

SERVICE:
Very good..both cabin and dining room..The guys and gals in the buffet were
very attentive and often offered to carry my tray and help find a
table..Also came around with coffee and juice refills..They don't mind at
all to bring you extra things such as pastries, fruit and things that you
forgot..Absolutely no complaints there...even ran into our waiter and
assistant waiter several times up there..
Room service was very good..prompt and the menu choices were far more
extensive than on the Opera. What I especially liked was that they phoned
just before delivery to tell you it was on the way...Had scrambled eggs with
fresh asparagus tips one morning... We enjoyed eating out on that huge
balcony..We had a large, round, white metal table, two small round metal
tables, 2 navy padded chaise lounges and two navy padded chairs..

MAINTENANCE:
Was a bit disappointed..did not see all the cleaning that Tom always talks
about..There were places in the buffet and public areas where the carpeting
had come loose at the seams and several areas where the carpeting was
soiled. Only cleaning I saw was some vacuuming near the elevator area a
couple of times... The ship was fairly clean, so some cleaning must have
gone on during the night. It was not near as well maintained as the MSC
Opera...In the Constellation Lounge, you could see the stains of handprints
on the walls surrounding the bandstand..The glass top tables had smudges on
them, too. The food areas however; looked very well maintained. I did not
see any littering...On the balcony, there were canvas overhead panels
supported by white painted metal rods and there was rust on those...Some one
mentioned that the ship was due to go into dry-dock next month...maybe that
is why I did not see any painting or maintenance, even while we were in
port.

ENTERTAINMENT:
Mostly Broadway shows by the Celebrity Orchestra, singers and dancers..I'm
afraid MSC Opera spoiled me with their excellent presentations. We did enjoy
the trivia and pictionary contests.. Tobie and Barb were our partners and we
walked off with some pretty nice prizes ..Real nice Celebrity pens, baggage
tags, card and document holders and large cloth bags..The entertainment
staff was not as enthusiastic as the one on the Opera...The group on the
Opera enjoyed doing what they were doing while in comparison, the ones on
the Celebrity did it as a job that had to be done..They were pleasant
enough, just not as engaging..If we had not been exposed to the group on the
Opera the week before, we probably would have found them satisfactory.

THINGS I DID NOT LIKE:
The pushing of drinks...we were hounded by bar waiters at sail away time on
top deck..They were pushing the drinks with the special glasses that you pay
for..When I told the waiter that I no longer collected glasses, he said I
couldn't possibly have the ones on his tray and tried to get me to check
them out because they had different floral designs on each one. They were
more aggressive in the lounges early in the sailing but the aggressiveness
seemed to drop off and was not as bad as the cruise continued.

The begging for *Excellent* on the comment cards..This was from the
assistant maitre d's on down...The waiter told us that the cruise line did
not accept anything less than excellent as suitable and it determined their
chances to continue employment and promotional opportunities.. This was very
uncomfortable for me to witness...Not only did the CD give his usual spiel
as to how hard they worked to get that *excellent* but to have that appeal
made to you by the waiters and crew that seated you in the dining room at
lunch and dinner time was a bit much. I always answer the comment card
questions honestly..it is only fair for the cruise line to know where they
excel and where they don't..I overlook petty things, but do mention what I
don't like and what I'd prefer in a fair way..I certainly don't want any one
to lose their job because of me...but if their performance is mediocre, they
don't deserve *excellent* and must try harder... Our cabin attendants never
made that request and they both got excellent because they deserved it and
apparently were confident that we would recognize that.

I missed fresh flowers in the public areas...there were nice baby orchids on
the dining room tables..none at all in the buffet and the rest throughout
the ship were all artificial arrangements. So far, HAL seems to be the only
line that excels in this area.

THINGS I LIKED:
I really liked the ship..It was beautiful, tastefully furnished and elegant
in decor..Some of the pictures and paintings were weird and not to my
liking..especially the ones when coming out of the gym. The art did not
especially impress me on this ship..The black and whites in the hallway gave
off a drab ambience..I guess HAL has spoiled me with their artwork...more
colorful. But the ship had a personality of its own and I liked it very
much..The tree with the metal birds in the hallway just before the
Constellation Lounge was unique and very attractive.
Some weird examples were the potatoes with different stages of budding in a
glass case. The light fixture of tangled up snakes just off the
Conservatory..

The Thalassotherapy Pool:
What a wonderful pool! It was all adult and soooo peaceful..How I wish the
cough that I had at the time, had not prevented me from going into it...The
whirlpools were wild with water tumbling vigorously ...Some nooks in the
pool itself had whirlpool jets..Everyone seemed to be having a ball when we
were there...I know George, Sue, Kevin, Becca sure enjoyed frolicking in it
while we watched. ;-( The food offered there was on the healthy side..Ed
and I ate there one evening when we were just too full to do the dining room
any justice...We had tuna salad on lettuce, a cold fruit soup and I splurged
on a piece of rhubarb and strawberry pie..
There was a very nice lounge area just outside the pool area with striped
padded wooden chairs facing the ocean. What a fantastic view. Almost as
fantastic as the view from our cabin balcony..At times the ship's wake
churned very strongly and I got some great photos of it..

The Conservatory:
The area was in front of the florist's shop on board and was lovely with all
the magnolia flowers..too bad they had to be artificial...but it sure would
have been costly to have real ones with so many decorating the place. The
decor had an oriental flavor with the covered chairs and designs..Some
ship's personnel were there discussing the changes to be made...so I guess
this will be done during dry-dock.

DISEMBARKATION:
We chose to take advantage of Celebrity's Valet Luggage Service...For
$15.per person, (max.bags, 2 per person) and we were very happy that we did.
They printed out our boarding passes with American Airlines and issued us
airline tags to put on our luggage the night before disembarkation.. Our
disembarkation color was white ..the same color as our airline tags..Our
time to disembark was 8:20 am..The very first ones off...We went to the
baggage area, picked out our bags, got a porter who took them to the airport
trucks waiting outside the terminal...Their first question was,"Where are
you going?" Anyone who named a city north of Virginia was told their bags
would not be accepted because no flights were leaving that day with the snow
storm going on and airports closed..We did not see the bags again until we
got off the plane in San Antonio..It was so nice not to be schlepping those
big bags..just our carry-ons. Way to go!!!
We then caught a bus (thanks, Tobie & Barb) to the airline terminal and were
there at 9 am..We spent the rest of the day watching frustrated people being
stranded because their flights were being cancelled one by one...We arrived
home shortly after 5 pm..Ahhh! so good to be home!
When's the next cruise, Ed asks !!! ;-)

SUMMARY:
I enjoyed being on this ship and would like to take it again, but after it
goes through dry-dock..or maybe one of her sister ships.
The group that we were with, and I shall not name them all as there were
sooo many and I would inadvertently miss someone, were great! We had a lot
of laughter at our get togethers and it was wonderful seeing old friends
again and meeting some new ones, too!
George and Lori put together one heck of a MOAGC

Old February 18th, 2006, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Nice review Jean,

So I take it you liked Infinity better than Zenith? Ben may be disappointed
to hear that... since he doesn't care for the Millie class ships. VBG

Printing your boarding passes at home has made the embarkation process go
MUCH smoother. We were on Mariner OTS in about 3 minute from being dropped
off by bus last December.

I loved those lounge chairs in the AquaSpa too... especially on the sea days
when we were sailing up to Quebec and back to NYC. The background music is
kind or relaxing too... lots of Enya, and stuff like that. And the light
fare breakfasts and lunches there seem to be better quality - since they are
trying for healthier. I remember a fig dessert, and a fruit gnache that
were wonderful. They have the chilled soups there all afternoon too (I
think Monday is strawberry soup day).

Too bad you didn't get to try the goat cheese soufflé at SS United States.
Did you at least go to the High Tea there for Captain's Club members?

As to the carpeting, I think they probably will replace carpeting with the
same pattern. The Infinity has a "United States" theme (with even the fancy
dining room called SS United States)... so you see lots of stars and
stripes, with a predominant red, white and blue palette. Connie, on the
other hand, has more purples and golds in her carpeting... more of a
"congressional" type feel, at least to me.

As to the begging for excellent marks... it's not something I've seen that
often on Celebrity, but I'm not sure what the solution is. When you have a
cruise line punishing people if they get as many as 1 mark below
excellent... and that can occur by one person not seeing much difference
between very good and excellent on a piece of paper... you easily end up
with people trying to avoid getting punished, by begging for excellent
scores. The golf pro on Zenith was telling us that they even do that to
him... and often it's from someone who never even went on a golf excursion
who marks a box on the form with something other than excellent. Then they
bang him for it. I find it even more disturbing when lines like Royal
Caribbean hold their waiters responsible for the food. They buy cheap
ingredients, serve lousy food, and then punish waiters (taking away their
days-off) when food scores don't come up as excellent. To me, that's REALLY
not fair.

Did you see the 2 statues of the kid, lying in bed, eating a chocolate bar,
up in the buffet dining room?

--Tom

Old February 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

We did the Southern Caribbean about 3 years ago on the Infinity and really
enjoyed that swimming pool. We are about to take our 29th cruise(Island
Princess to Hawaii) One of the great mysteries of life to me is: Since
cruise ships are full of old folks, why is it that all but the newest ships
have pools with difficult ladders? The Infinity has steps that go past the
shower and into the pool. The way it should be.
Smooth Sailing
Don

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi:

Hopefully I will start working on my review soon. I had other pressing
matters to attend to when I got back.

I agree with you, Jean, about the Assistant Maitre 'd. I believe
Richard's description was "swarmy." We were tempted not to give him the
envelope at all (we also did automatic tipping). Figured he would still
get his tip anyway so we did.

Great review, mine won't be that good (lol)

Tucker in Texas

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Richard Whitlock" wrote in message
I agree with you, Jean, about the Assistant Maitre 'd. I believe
Richard's description was "swarmy." We were tempted not to give him the
envelope at all (we also did automatic tipping). Figured he would still
get his tip anyway so we did.

Great review, mine won't be that good (lol)

Thanks, Tucker!.. I'm sure you will do just fine and mention or cover some
areas that I forgot about...there was so much to remember and forget! ;-)
Richard's description was a good one..that asst. maitre d' made it
distasteful to even talk with him... I could not even look at him while he
was speaking because he was so disingenuous.
LOL! We thought the same about giving him the envelope as you did, but
figured he'd get his share with our doing the automatic tipping...That's why
we held back from giving it to him until we left the dining room and viola'
there he was standing at the exit, waiting!

--Jean

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Tom K wrote:
As to the begging for excellent marks... it's not something I've seen that
often on Celebrity, but I'm not sure what the solution is.

I think the "excellent" thing is a Royal Caribbean mandate. For two
weeks aboard Legend of the Seas during the crossing it seemed to be a
mantra:

Me: I'll try the soup. Waiter: "Excellent"

Me: Martini up, please Bartender: "Excellent"

Cruise Director: "Wasn't that show Excellent?"

Cruise Director: "Did you all have an excellent day aboard ship?"

Cruise Director: "Wasn't our stop in Vigo excellent?"

Captain: "Legend of the Seas hit some very rough seas early this
morning, but she handled it excellently"

Me: I'm running low on soap. Cabin Stewardess: "Excellent"

Me: I'll take this tube of toothpaste. Shop clerk: "Excellent"

Me: Someone threw up in the elevator. Front Desk: "Excellent"

Warren

Old February 18th, 2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Jean O'Boyle" wrote in message
. com...

"Richard Whitlock" wrote in message
I agree with you, Jean, about the Assistant Maitre 'd. I believe
Richard's description was "swarmy." We were tempted not to give him the
envelope at all (we also did automatic tipping). Figured he would still
get his tip anyway so we did.

Great review, mine won't be that good (lol)

Thanks, Tucker!.. I'm sure you will do just fine and mention or cover some
areas that I forgot about...there was so much to remember and forget! ;-)
Richard's description was a good one..that asst. maitre d' made it
distasteful to even talk with him... I could not even look at him while he
was speaking because he was so disingenuous.

That's the kind of thing that should go on the comment card... or even
better... talk to the Captain's Club hostess about it. She talks with the
Captain all the time.
If someone is that bad, they need to know about it ASAP... and often.

People like him, or the person who told the cabin steward to not report the
person that was missing on the one sailing that we discussed a few months
ago, should be relieved of their duties.

If you see how hard most cruise employees work... if someone is behaving
like those individuals... it hurts everyone else.

--Tom

Old February 18th, 2006, 06:04 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Warren" wrote in message
ups.com...
I think the "excellent" thing is a Royal Caribbean mandate. For two
weeks aboard Legend of the Seas during the crossing it seemed to be a
mantra:

Me: I'll try the soup. Waiter: "Excellent"

Me: Martini up, please Bartender: "Excellent"

Cruise Director: "Wasn't that show Excellent?"

Cruise Director: "Did you all have an excellent day aboard ship?"

Cruise Director: "Wasn't our stop in Vigo excellent?"

Captain: "Legend of the Seas hit some very rough seas early this
morning, but she handled it excellently"

Me: I'm running low on soap. Cabin Stewardess: "Excellent"

Me: I'll take this tube of toothpaste. Shop clerk: "Excellent"

Me: Someone threw up in the elevator. Front Desk: "Excellent"

LOL! Warren and very true!!! It was one word imprinted in the crew's brain
and vocabulary.

--Jean

Warren

Old February 18th, 2006, 07:03 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"Tom K" wrote in message
That's the kind of thing that should go on the comment card... or even
better... talk to the Captain's Club hostess about it. She talks with the
Captain all the time.
If someone is that bad, they need to know about it ASAP... and often.

People like him, or the person who told the cabin steward to not report
the person that was missing on the one sailing that we discussed a few
months ago, should be relieved of their duties.

If you see how hard most cruise employees work... if someone is behaving
like those individuals... it hurts everyone else.

You are right, Tom...there was very little room on the comment card, but I
should have done just that.
Will also remember the Captain's Club Hostess advice next time, too.
I don't know how he ever got to get as high in the chain of command as an
asst.maitre d'...

--Jean

--Tom

Old February 18th, 2006, 07:26 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Hi:

We sure didn't give him an "excellent" rating and did mention in the
comment section the times he came to the table we felt his motives were
trolling for tips rather than offering any service.

Tucker in Texas