Hotel room descriptions?

Old July 16th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Calif Bill

Default Hotel room descriptions?

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

Looking for rooms for 2 adults sharing a bed, and a room for 2 adults not
sharing a bed.
Bill

Old July 16th, 2004, 08:42 PM
Hoyt Weathers

Calif Bill wrote:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

Looking for rooms for 2 adults sharing a bed, and a room for 2 adults not
sharing a bed.
Bill

One double room and one twin room

Old July 16th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Ken Blake

In news Calif Bill typed:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in

Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

No, it's how many people the room accomodates. Double can be
either a double bed or two single beds.

Looking for rooms for 2 adults sharing a bed,

Una camera con letto matrimoniale.

and a room for 2 adults
not sharing a bed.

Una camera con due letti singoli.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old July 17th, 2004, 12:14 AM
jenn

Calif Bill wrote:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

Looking for rooms for 2 adults sharing a bed, and a room for 2 adults not
sharing a bed.
Bill

it is fairly common in Italian hotel rooms for there to be two beds
pushed together so one can adapt -- in France that is less likely to be
true in my experience -- you need a double in each case -- but you will
need to specify the number of beds e.g. due letti in Italy and du lit in
France [as I recall] for two beds and letto matrimonale and grand lit
for double beds [spelling optional]

Old July 17th, 2004, 01:29 PM
B Vaughan

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 18:19:15 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

Looking for rooms for 2 adults sharing a bed, and a room for 2 adults not
sharing a bed.

In Italy a double room sleeps two people, period. Almost always it
means that there are two single beds in a room. You can ask them to
make it up as a double bed (matrimoniale) or as two single beds (due
letti). To make a double bed, they push the beds together and put
double sheets on them. Usually they ask you when you make the
reservation which configuration you want.

A single room usually has one single bed. Sometimes it's really a
double room, because they've run out of single rooms. However, you
can't put two people in it unless you pay for a double room and
register the other guest. In the US, you rent the room and hotels
don't mind usually if you put an extra unregistered person in the
room, but this is definitely not true in Europe. In Italy unregistered
guests are against the law, and you're really not even allowed to let
anyone unregistered go up to the room for a short time. All guests
must be reported to the local police station.

A triple room will have three single beds which can be made up as
three singles or as two doubles and a single.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Mark Hewitt

"Ken Blake" wrote in message
In news Calif Bill typed:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in

Italy.
Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

No, it's how many people the room accomodates. Double can be
either a double bed or two single beds.

No a double would be one double bed. Two single beds would be a twin.

Old July 20th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Ric

In Italy a "double" (in italian "doppia") means that the room accomodates 2.
Then if you want one double bed you should ask for a "matrimoniale" (it's
the way we call the double bed, sounds like "marriage-bed"... funny, I
admit!), if you want two single beds you should specify that you want 2
separate beds.
Hope this helps.

R.

We don't have anything for "twin" .

"Mark Hewitt" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

In news Calif Bill typed:

Old July 20th, 2004, 08:19 PM
jenn

Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Ken Blake" wrote in message

In news Calif Bill typed:

I have a question on what a hotel room description covers in

Italy.

Single
Double
triple

Is this how many beds in the room.

No, it's how many people the room accomodates. Double can be
either a double bed or two single beds.

No a double would be one double bed. Two single beds would be a twin.

those are not terms generally used in European hotels