Postage in the EU

Old January 9th, 2006, 08:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Postage in the EU

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

Thanks much for your help.

Stan
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman wrote:

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

No change in that.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

I think it varies from country to country. In Ireland, very few
traders sell stamps, as there is no profit in them. Some French tabacs
sell stamps.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Each country sells its own postage stamps and at the postage rates
decided by that country, shops selling postcards also sell stamps in
some some countries, although if posting to overseas, if the stamps are
purchased in the post offce you also get airmail lables which just
might speed up the postcard.

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Padraig Breathnach" wrote in message
Owlman wrote:

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

No change in that.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

I think it varies from country to country. In Ireland, very few
traders sell stamps, as there is no profit in them. Some French tabacs
sell stamps.

In England, most Supermarkets sell stamps, but usually only in books of
(domestic) first and second class stamps. In Switzerland, lots of Post
Offices have a machine or or near the outside wall where you can insert
coins to print a stamp of your chosen monetary value.

JohnT

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"The Rev Gaston" skrev i meddelandet
Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Owlman wrote:

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

No change in that.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

I think it varies from country to country. In Ireland, very few
traders sell stamps, as there is no profit in them. Some French tabacs
sell stamps.

Is it my imagination or is there a rule that postage within the EU is
supposed to be at the same rate as domestic postage, eg posting a letter
from Manchester to Marseilles is supposed to cost the same as to
Macclesfield?

--------------------
No ,there's no such rule. However it's the rule in some EU countries,
like Germany, but definitely not all of them. Here in Sweden the
standard postage to abroad (could be Malmö-Copenhagen) is 10:- SEK while the
same domestic postage is 5:50 SEK

Old January 9th, 2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman writes:

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

It's still local stamps for local people, I'm afraid.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

In the UK, most newsagents ("newsstands"); in Italy and Spain and
France at tobacconists; in Germany I don't remember seeing them
around, so I kept a lookout for passing post-offices, which have
machines outside. In the Netherlands, newsagents again. And the rest
I don't know. (I must 've had some from Sweden but I can't remember
where from.)

Des
Old January 9th, 2006, 10:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Des Small" wrote in message
Owlman writes:

I just realized that I had no idea if postage within the EU is
universal or whether each country only produces stamps for mail sent
within its own boundaries.

It's still local stamps for local people, I'm afraid.

When I was last in Europe (almost 30 years ago), I had to buy postcard
stamps in each country I visited.

Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

In the UK, most newsagents ("newsstands"); in Italy and Spain and
France at tobacconists; in Germany I don't remember seeing them
around, so I kept a lookout for passing post-offices, which have
machines outside. In the Netherlands, newsagents again. And the rest
I don't know. (I must 've had some from Sweden but I can't remember
where from.)

You get them from the new 'post offices' which are now
counters in supermarkets. (Not that it matters to a casual
visitor, this is also where undelivered post is collected from).

Generally, all the old 'post offices' have shut down except
for the one in the town centre at which you pay bills etc.
(and I don't think that they sell stamps)

But as Lennart says, 10kr for each post card is enough to
make you not bother

tim

Old January 9th, 2006, 10:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Arwel Parry" skrev i meddelandet
In message , Lennart Petersen
writes

Padraig Breathnach wrote:

Owlman wrote:

[...]

Surely that difference would be almost expensive enough to be worth
carrying it over the bridge to the nearest Danish posting box!

----------------------------
As I can remember there's one in Malmö, but you'll need Danish stamps.

Old January 10th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Des Small wrote:

Owlman writes:

[]
Aside from post offices, where can postage stamps generally be
purchased?

In the UK, most newsagents ("newsstands");

And many supermarkets, convenience stores etc.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org