Lost Luggage - Qantas

Old December 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM
PS

Default Lost Luggage - Qantas

Went on QF Sydney to Cairns but on its Sydney-Narita flight. Of 2 checked
bags, one continued to Japan.

At Cairns lost luggage desk, I am told that no claim is payable unless
luggage is not returned in 24 hours. And what of my basic needs? "Sorry, 24
hours before any allowance is paid".

Bag returned from Japan following morning and delivered to hotel though,
after few more calls and stern negotiations, QF agreed to pay AUD60 for
toiletries and underwear. "Receipts please before claim is paid".

Is this how airlines treat PAX with lost luggage?

PS

Old December 20th, 2003, 02:50 PM
Mike

PS wrote:

At Cairns lost luggage desk, I am told that no claim is payable unless
luggage is not returned in 24 hours. And what of my basic needs? "Sorry, 24
hours before any allowance is paid".

When I've had luggage delayed, I was offered a kit with toiletries,
underpants and T-shirt. They had mens and women's kits. That was B.A.
and ... I forget. Maybe they are not so helpful on domestic flights.

Bag returned from Japan following morning and delivered to hotel though,
after few more calls and stern negotiations, QF agreed to pay AUD60 for
toiletries and underwear. "Receipts please before claim is paid".

Maybe they picked you as an opportunistic money-grabber. Is that
how you came across? $60 sounds generous to me. If they set a precedent
of compensation for inconvenience, it puts up all out ticket prices.
Most people here would know not to leave anything important in
checked bags. Delays are too common.
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:43 PM
Dave Proctor

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:17:15 +1100, "PS"
wrote:

Went on QF Sydney to Cairns but on its Sydney-Narita flight. Of 2 checked
bags, one continued to Japan.

At Cairns lost luggage desk, I am told that no claim is payable unless
luggage is not returned in 24 hours. And what of my basic needs? "Sorry, 24
hours before any allowance is paid".

Bag returned from Japan following morning and delivered to hotel though,
after few more calls and stern negotiations, QF agreed to pay AUD60 for
toiletries and underwear. "Receipts please before claim is paid".

Is this how airlines treat PAX with lost luggage?

When you are dealing wih thousands of pieces of luggage from thousands
of passengers across hundreds of passengers, baggage is bound to go
astray sometimes. So no fault to the carrier there, it happens, it is
something they try to avoid, but sometimes it just happens.

Getting to your specific case, everyone who travels reasonably often
knows that you carry enough for a couple of days in your carry-ons.
Tha is, a couple of days worth of underwear, change of clothing ALL
prescription medication, and so on. Enough to get you by if they lose
it for a few days sort of thing.

In your case, I do not know if you are a frequent traveller or not.
BUT, given the continual jokes about airlines "checking you in to
London, and your bags to Buenos Aires" (or similiar) I would expect
EVERYONE to know that you do not rely on your checked baggage for your
first 24 hours after arrival. Heck, my 85 year old grand-mother just
confirmed this to me without any prompting, and she has never been
outside of Australia!

I would say you were extremely lucky to get the $A60. I would not have
paid it if I was the QF person handling it. You got your bag back the
next day, what was the problem?

Dave

=====

NSW Rural Fire Service - become a volunteer today.

http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/

Old December 21st, 2003, 04:56 AM

wrote:

When you are dealing wih thousands of pieces of luggage from thousands
of passengers across hundreds of passengers, baggage is bound to go
astray sometimes. So no fault to the carrier there, it happens, it is
something they try to avoid, but sometimes it just happens.

A very naive thing to say, with my close to 30 years at QF in
passenger handling and several years in MHL and i am absolutely
certain that a bag has never levitated off the belt and into a
container under it own steam. It was loaded there by an employee or
agent of the airline.

Getting to your specific case, everyone who travels reasonably often
knows that you carry enough for a couple of days in your carry-ons.
Tha is, a couple of days worth of underwear, change of clothing ALL
prescription medication, and so on. Enough to get you by if they lose
it for a few days sort of thing.

Fair comment, but don't forget we're talking about the traveling
public here not Albert Einstein.

In your case, I do not know if you are a frequent traveller or not.
BUT, given the continual jokes about airlines "checking you in to
London, and your bags to Buenos Aires" (or similar) I would expect
EVERYONE to know that you do not rely on your checked baggage for your
first 24 hours after arrival.

Refer to above comment

confirmed this to me without any prompting, and she has never been
outside of Australia!

I would say you were extremely lucky to get the $A60. I would not have
paid it if I was the QF person handling it. You got your bag back the
next day, what was the problem?

It's been a few years since i've taken early retirement and maybe
things have changed a bit, we had a sliding scale depending on class
of travel and unlike you we tended to look at the bigger picture, 60
dollars is a pittances and after losing his bag and then arguing over
a few bucks its a sure receipt for losing a customer
Cheers Ed
Bridgetown WA

Dave

=====

Old December 21st, 2003, 06:44 AM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

In article , Dave Proctor
wrote:

Getting to your specific case, everyone who travels reasonably often
knows that you carry enough for a couple of days in your carry-ons.

That's what I was going to say.

In your case, I do not know if you are a frequent traveller or not.
BUT, given the continual jokes about airlines "checking you in to
London, and your bags to Buenos Aires" (or similiar) I would expect
EVERYONE to know that you do not rely on your checked baggage for your
first 24 hours after arrival. Heck, my 85 year old grand-mother just
confirmed this to me without any prompting, and she has never been
outside of Australia!

Recently, a friend flew from SNA-SJC and her luggage went to Narita.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Dogs may have kept us company on the hunt, but it was the cats who
Old December 21st, 2003, 09:12 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:17:15 +1100 in rec.travel.air, "PS"
wrote:

Is this how airlines treat PAX with lost luggage?

it is when they have a monopoly in an area...

Old December 21st, 2003, 04:48 PM
Dick Locke

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 04:43:15 +1100, Dave Proctor
wrote:

everyone who travels reasonably often
knows that you carry enough for a couple of days in your carry-ons.
Tha is, a couple of days worth of underwear, change of clothing ALL
prescription medication, and so on. Enough to get you by if they lose
it for a few days sort of thing.

Say what? No wonder the overheads are so full. In 20 years of probably
50-100K per year, only once did I need to go out and buy clothes. That
was about a 24 hour separation.

(Which reminds me, why are all-cotton shirts so hard to find in
Edinburgh?)

I do carry any critical medicines, and enough work stuff that I can
perform competently but not perfectly. If possible, I also avoid the
last flight of the day.

Old December 22nd, 2003, 05:56 PM
Dave Proctor

wrote:

everyone who travels reasonably often
knows that you carry enough for a couple of days in your carry-ons.
Tha is, a couple of days worth of underwear, change of clothing ALL
prescription medication, and so on. Enough to get you by if they lose
it for a few days sort of thing.

Say what? No wonder the overheads are so full. In 20 years of probably
50-100K per year, only once did I need to go out and buy clothes. That
was about a 24 hour separation.

Why would a single carry-on bag for every passenger fill up the
overheads? I carry the same bag on with me all the time, no matter
where I fly. I find it is the same as everyone else on QF and BA, but
is signifigantly less than what everyone else is carrying on AA.

Dave

=====