Lufthansa, anyone?

Old April 13th, 2004, 12:14 AM
Robert

Default Lufthansa, anyone?

Ref.:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/LHeCMS...html#earnmiles

The German carrier Lufthansa has decided that it will modify its mileage
accrual system starting in October (however, the new Terms & Conditions give
Lufthansa the right to do so as of now). The new system will discriminate
its customers according to the booking class. Those customers who purchase a
restricted coach ticket will only be credited with 50% of the actual miles
flown. Sounds fair for an airline that offers an average service at a high
price? Personally, I don't believe it seems reasonable to accrue less miles
than are actually flown just because of the price category.

This brings me to my question: How do you think Lufthansa stands in
comparison to other airlines that offer frequent-flyer programs? Has
Lufthansa got any comparative advantage left, now that even its mileage
system has changed? What airline do you think offers the best frequent-flyer
program?

Hoping to hear some comments..

Robert

Old April 13th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Not the Karl Orff

In article ,
"Robert" wrote:

Ref.:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/LHeCMS...nt/0,4368,0-0-
1139556,00.html#earnmiles

[...]

IF LH is competing against BA (or a gamut of "premium" Asian carriers),
it is still ahead of the game.
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:40 AM
nobody

Not the Karl Orff wrote:
IF LH is competing against BA (or a gamut of "premium" Asian carriers),
it is still ahead of the game.

As airlines struggle to lower their fares, it is only normal that you should
expect to no longer be able to rack up points and get free trips so easily.

Outside of north america, airlines have always been more stingy with regards
to perks.,
Old April 13th, 2004, 01:39 PM
jb

I would avoid LH at all costs no matter WHAT they paid in mileage.
THey are a VERY LOW CLASS airline charging HIGH CLASS prices.
And----their attitude is, well, they might as well be French.

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:25 PM
jb

I have used them on more than one occasion. On all trips I have met
with surly nastiness at ticket counter check in no matter the airport.
The in flight service was little better than EasyJet (or similar) and
the general attitude of employees both in the air and on the ground
was no better than surly.

Their prices are consistantly higher than booking the same flight with
a UA flight number. Hard to believe I know -- but has been my
experience in 2 out of three checks.

Glad you had better luck than I with them--- they had their chance
with me. I shall not give them another chance to intimidate me or
treat me like a dog.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 19:30:25 +0100, Hilary
wrote:

I would avoid LH at all costs no matter WHAT they paid in mileage. THey
are a VERY LOW CLASS airline charging HIGH CLASS prices. And----their
attitude is, well, they might as well be French.

Really? I've always found their prices to be very reasonable, their
service to be both fast and efficient (including check in and cabin crew)
and the legroom decent, even for tall passengers.

Hilary

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
carl

Hilary schrieb:
I would avoid LH at all costs no matter WHAT they paid in mileage. THey
are a VERY LOW CLASS airline charging HIGH CLASS prices. And----their
attitude is, well, they might as well be French.

Really? I've always found their prices to be very reasonable, their
service to be both fast and efficient (including check in and cabin crew)
and the legroom decent, even for tall passengers.

Hilary

the LH prices are the same level with other airlines because when there
are several airlines with same destinations, they are looking very close
at each others prices and match them. so its only a matter of
availability for the cheap fares.

and the service is mostly even at all big carriers, it depends on your
seat! :-) and the new C Class seat on the A340-600 is a very good one!

carl

Old April 13th, 2004, 08:29 PM
AJC

wrote:

I would avoid LH at all costs no matter WHAT they paid in mileage. THey
are a VERY LOW CLASS airline charging HIGH CLASS prices. And----their
attitude is, well, they might as well be French.

Really? I've always found their prices to be very reasonable, their
service to be both fast and efficient (including check in and cabin crew)
and the legroom decent, even for tall passengers.

Hilary

Yes, my experiences of LH are far closer to yours than to the nonsense
spouted by the troll above.
--==++AJC++==--
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:40 PM
mtravelkay

Robert wrote:

Ref.:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/LHeCMS...html#earnmiles

The German carrier Lufthansa has decided that it will modify its mileage
accrual system starting in October (however, the new Terms & Conditions give
Lufthansa the right to do so as of now). The new system will discriminate
its customers according to the booking class. Those customers who purchase a
restricted coach ticket will only be credited with 50% of the actual miles
flown. Sounds fair for an airline that offers an average service at a high
price? Personally, I don't believe it seems reasonable to accrue less miles
than are actually flown just because of the price category.

I disagree. The goal of ff programs is not to give ticket away to
people, who choose your carrier because of cheap fares, as quickly as
those willing to pay more. Doesn't it make sense that someone paying
more should get more FF miles?

Old April 14th, 2004, 04:19 AM
jb

For your information you fool, there is no troll posting the below.

I was there. I bought the ticket. I flew the segments. I speak from
experience. Just because my experience was not the same as others
does NOT make it less valid.

You owe an apology.

Old April 14th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Michael Thiele

jb schrieb:

Their prices are consistantly higher than booking the same flight with
a UA flight number. Hard to believe I know -- but has been my
experience in 2 out of three checks.

true but it makes sense, since you pay a LH-security surcharge on each
leg on flights with LH number, while if booked as UA, you don't.