Cheep Paris Restaurants?

Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Cate

Default Cheep Paris Restaurants?

Diverting from the political discussions briefly, my wife and I have stayed
in the 5th and 6th arrondissements several times, and we enjoyed exploring
the Left Bank on foot and sampling some of the less expensive Left Bank
restaurants. Many of them seemed to be concentrated along rue de la Harpe,
rue Huschette, and rue St. Severin, just north of the Cluny museum. While
some of them were Greek, Italian, etc., others were serving simple French
cuisine, usually two or three courses with wine, for reasonable prices. Of
course, the menu and prices were posted out front. - To those who have been
there recently, is this district still a good option for reasonably good
food at semi-reasonable prices? With the current exchange rate (around
$1.23 per Euro) what prices should we expect? (We also sampled some
better restaurants in that area, including the Tour d' Argent. For the lunch
special, including a tour of the wine cellers, it was worth every franc.)

Jim Cate

Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:50 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

Italian is your best bet for cheap eats in Paris these days.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

On 22/06/2010 05:46, Magda wrote:

I avoid rue de la Huchette like the plague, particularly the "Greek" restaurants, most are
run by North-Africans. My health is worth more than that!

What have you got against North Africans? My daughter took a holiday in
Morocco and the food was superb.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 08:55 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:50:57 -0700 schrieb Irwell:

On 21 Jun 2010 21:51:02 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

Italian is your best bet for cheap eats in Paris these days.

If you like the kind of food you can also eat quite cheap in Lebanese
places. Complete menu with startes and dessert for around 15 - 20 EUR.
Usually you get lots of diffrent small dishes ("Mezzes"). Similar to what
you get in Cyprus or parts of Greece.

The other altenative is to look for pub-style-restaurants/brasseries. There
you normally also get good food for reasonable prices.

Regards,

Frank
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Cate

Thanks for the suggestions. I should have explained that I'm really not
into Greek or Italian food when I go to France. - Why pay the big bucks for
a trip to France and not take the opportunity to sample French cuisine,
which I consider a part of the French cultural experience, and which itself
includes lots of regional variations. (Also, there are Greek, Lebanese, and
Italian restaurants here in our local community, but few authentic French
ones, and none with waiters who speak French.) In the past, we have been
pleasantly surprised even by some very modest restaurants in that area,
nearly always with good bread, carafes of decent wines, authentic if simple
"plats," friendly service, and great deserts.

I certainly don't avoid rue Huchette "like the plague." - (We have never had
any health issues after eating there, incidentally.) Instead, we often go
to that or similar neighborhoods for restaurant choices. And to some nicer
places, as mentioned. Also, we do a lot of walking in out-of-the-way parts
of the city, and the smaller, cheaper restaurants and cafes often seem to be
located near some interesting historical areas.

Current prices?

Thanks,
Jim

Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

On 22 Jun 2010 08:50:01 -0500, Jim Cate wrote:

Current prices?

Thanks,
Jim

Tres, tres cher, at least they were two weeks
ago for us.
40 Euros for a meal, =$60 when you get your credit card
statement.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

On 22/06/2010 07:39, Magda wrote:
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 07:23:29 +0100, in rec.travel.europe,
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On 22/06/2010 05:46, Magda wrote:
... I avoid rue de la Huchette like the plague, particularly the "Greek" restaurants, most are
... run by North-Africans. My health is worth more than that!
... What have you got against North Africans? My daughter took a holiday in
... Morocco and the food was superb.

Do you listen to yourself when you speak?

Well, should not need to point out that your comment "my health is worth
more than that" implied that North Africans are necessarily unhygenic.
Closet racism perhaps?
Old June 22nd, 2010, 06:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Nathalie Chiva[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Try Le Pré Verre, really good: http://www.lepreverre.com/
Also, in a totally different style, the Maison de la Loze
http://www.lozere-a-paris.com/ (click on "Restaurant", bottom right)

Nathalie in Switzerland
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_3_]

Nathalie wrote on Tue, 22 Jun 2010 19:19:21 +0200:

[...]

Le Pré Verre looks pleasant and not expensive. I'll have to look them up
when I get a chance.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

When I am in Paris, I like to go to Les Fetes Galantes, 17 rue de
l'Ecole de Polytechnique, Paris 5. A couple years ago, their 3-course
prix fixe meals were €15-25 service compris. If you go, take the
Maubert-Mutualité exit on the Métro and go straight up the hill (it
looks closer from the Cadinal Lemoine exit, but it is easier to get
lost).