Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia

Old June 25th, 2010, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia

Apologies, but the 'posting code word' doesn't seem to be working for
me, so am starting a new post to see if that works!

Hmm... Well perhaps I'll think about it for future trips. It's just that
travelling through former war zones makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't help
thinking that if I walked off the road for a pee out in the country I might
step on a land-mine.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire

I've just returned last week from Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia.
I'm still here! :-))

Surreyman
Old June 25th, 2010, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
martin

On 25/06/10 11:39, Surreyman wrote:
Apologies, but the 'posting code word' doesn't seem to be working for
me, so am starting a new post to see if that works!

Hmm... Well perhaps I'll think about it for future trips. It's just that
travelling through former war zones makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't help
thinking that if I walked off the road for a pee out in the country I might
step on a land-mine.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
email: mike_lane at mac dot com

I've just returned last week from Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia.
I'm still here! :-))

Moral: Never walk off the road for a pee.
Old June 25th, 2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Surreyman wrote on Jun 25, 2010:

Apologies, but the 'posting code word' doesn't seem to be working for
me, so am starting a new post to see if that works!

Hmm... Well perhaps I'll think about it for future trips. It's just that
travelling through former war zones makes me feel uncomfortable. I can't
help
thinking that if I walked off the road for a pee out in the country I might
step on a land-mine.

--
Mike Lane
UK North Yorkshire
email: mike_lane at mac dot com

I've just returned last week from Montenegro/Bosnia/Croatia.
I'm still here! :-))

Surreyman

How did you travel?

Old June 26th, 2010, 12:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

"Surreyman" wrote in message
[...]

Self drive or pre-arranged tour

tim

Old June 27th, 2010, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On 26 June, 12:18, "tim...." wrote:

[...]

Croatian friend's minibus.
Old June 27th, 2010, 01:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

Surreyman wrote on Jun 27, 2010:

On 26 June, 12:18, "tim...." wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

[...]

I'm actually quite interested in the details of your trip if you're prepared
to divulge them.

For example what sort of accommodation did you stay in? Was it pre arranged
or did you go on spec? If the latter how did you find it, did you have your
Croation friend with you on the trip?

Old June 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim....

dia.com...

On 26 June, 12:18, "tim...." wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

[...]

Well I went (by car) to Bosnia/Croatia (with Slovenia) 8 years ago and
Montenegro (with Serbia and Macedonia) last year.

Provided that you avoid the German summer holiday season (which is from the
third week in June to the end of August as the different regions stagger
their holidays) just turning up at the door of a hotel is easy.

Hotels are plentiful along the coast and in the major towns, but in minor
towns you will get a choice of take it or leave it (if that).

Prices are cheap(ish) and usually you can find good quality hotels if that
is what you want or really cheap and nasty is that is your style. Quality
does vary a lot and sometimes isn't determined by price, especially away
from the resorts.

Driving in the region is OK, though the standard of other drives can be
pretty awful - overtaking on blind corners seems to be a national sport in
some areas. And police checks are quite common so make sure not to speed!
When I was there, navigation around Bosnia was difficult because they were
still reconstructing after the war and fixing the road signs was last on the
list - hopefully this will be fixed now!

What else do you want to know?

tim

Old June 27th, 2010, 03:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane[_2_]

tim.... wrote on Jun 27, 2010:

dia.com...

On 26 June, 12:18, "tim...." wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks! that pretty much covers it

Old June 27th, 2010, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On 26 June, 12:18, "tim...." wrote:
"Surreyman" wrote in message

[...]

3 months back we started surfing for self-catering accommodation in
Dubrovnik.
We quickly realised there were disadvantages in our first choice -
within the old city walls - and started 'talking to' various
accommodation owners in the nearby areas outside the walls.
One owner proved to have similar interests and we ended up
corresponding quite a bit outside of holiday needs anyway.
He gave us a good deal on one of his large studio apartments (45 Euros
a day instead of 60 for 2 weeks, June 4-18), and apart from our own
sightseeing etc., we had a great time with him and his family.
We fixed our own EasyJet flight at £105 return each, Gatwick/
Dubrovnik, which in retrospect also seemed good.
While there we used one of his friends who ran a minibus tour company,
getting day trips for around 260 Kuna instead of 390, plus of course
far more personal itineraries and guidance.
Worked marvellously for us!