Thanksgiving travel

Old August 14th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Stephen Clark

Default Thanksgiving travel

With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on the
23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on 24th
November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing? Are
trains/airports VERY, VERY busy around this time or by the Wednesday has all
the travel that American's want to do happened? I have visions of "Trains,
Planes and Automobiles"! Thanks.

Old August 14th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Ken

"Stephen Clark" wrote in
:
With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on
the 23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on
24th November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing?

The day before Thankgiving is typically the busiest travel day of the year in
the USA. Airports typically have separate terminals for international and
domestic flights with the latter being the most busy. Traffic into the
airport will be bad, however, so you should plan on getting there early.
Old August 14th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Keith W

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message
With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on the
23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on 24th
November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing? Are
trains/airports VERY, VERY busy around this time

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year, last time I did this it
took almost 3 hours to get to Chicago Midway the traffic was so bad.

Keith

Old August 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Stephen Clark

"Keith W" wrote in message

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message
With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on
the 23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on
24th November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing? Are
trains/airports VERY, VERY busy around this time

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year, last time I did this it
took almost 3 hours to get to Chicago Midway the traffic was so bad.

Keith

It looking like it would not be too bad for international travel. I'll be
using the cta Blue line to get to the airport - I'm presuming they'll be a
service of some kind on this line on Thanksgiving day itself? Otherwise it's
a cab.

Old August 14th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Stephen Clark wrote:

"Keith W" wrote in message

"Stephen Clark" wrote in message

With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on
the 23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on
24th November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing? Are
trains/airports VERY, VERY busy around this time

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year, last time I did this it
took almost 3 hours to get to Chicago Midway the traffic was so bad.

Keith

It looking like it would not be too bad for international travel. I'll be
using the cta Blue line to get to the airport - I'm presuming they'll be a
service of some kind on this line on Thanksgiving day itself? Otherwise it's
a cab.

Even the train will probably be crowded on the 23rd. On the 24th the
problem will be finding anything that is open. Since there is unlikely
to be anywhere better to waste time I suggest that you just get to the
airport fairly early. It will be deserted but there should be minimal
services available. If there is no meal service available try an
airport hotel restaurant. They should have an excellent if expensive
buffet. Thanksgiving day may be one of the few times that eating out is
not cheap.

Old August 14th, 2005, 06:58 PM
sechumlib

Keith W wrote:

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year, last time I did this it
took almost 3 hours to get to Chicago Midway the traffic was so bad.

It probably wouldn't have taken that long if you'd gone by subway.
Old August 14th, 2005, 11:43 PM
Mark Brader

Stephen Clark and Keith Willshaw write:
With my current travel plans I will be arriving in Chicago by train on
the 23rd November and making an international flight out of the US on
24th November (Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing?

Yes, this is the busiest time of the year...

It looking like it would not be too bad for international travel.

I have no personal experience with US travel at Thanksgiving, but
someone I know told me he had once flown from the US to England on
Thanksgiving Day and the total number of passengers on the plane was
a 1-digit number.

I'll be using the cta Blue line to get to the airport - I'm presuming
they'll be a service of some kind on this line on Thanksgiving day
itself? ...

For sure; probably like a Sunday.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...This is due to the Coincidence effect,
Old August 15th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Icono Clast

Stephen Clark wrote:
international flight out of the US on 24th November
(Thanksgiving?). Is this a sensible thing to be doing? Are
trains/airports VERY, VERY busy around this time or by the
Wednesday has all the travel that American's want to do happened?
I have visions of "Trains, Planes and Automobiles"! Thanks.

I believe that ThanksGiving day is rather light for air travel.
Domestic travellers arrive the day before or earlier and leave the
day after or later. ThanksGiving is the most heavy travel PERIOD in
the USA, but the day isn't.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old August 15th, 2005, 04:42 PM
BobT

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 18:19:53 +0100, "Stephen Clark"
wrote:

It looking like it would not be too bad for international travel. I'll be
using the cta Blue line to get to the airport - I'm presuming they'll be a
service of some kind on this line on Thanksgiving day itself? Otherwise it's
a cab.

Blue line will be running on Thanksgiving, most of the day at 10
minute headway, unless you board west of the Cermak/Forest Park Merge
near Ashland--west of there, headways are 20 minutes.

Old August 18th, 2005, 09:36 AM
Gary L. Dare

Icono Clast wrote:

I believe that ThanksGiving day is rather light for air travel.

I will confirm that. US Thanksgiving Day, itself, is a light
travel day as is Christmas Day. Being dead days, I prefer to
travel on that time to make dinners back east (I'm in Oregon).
You can get great ticket prices on those days ...

gld