What are the best scuba cruises in Caribbean?

Old May 27th, 2006, 07:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Scuba Dive SItes in Little Cayman

Reef Fish wrote:

Sorry for the reverse chronology. I thought Harry was GOING there on
the tickets he purchased on the web; but he had already BTDT.

Ah well. My comments merely augments what he didn't say about
the Stingray City and the Stingrays.

Harry, you'll probably enjoy it the next time you go too.

-- Bob.

Harry wrote:
We just did the Sting Ray thing at Cayman Island - worth the price $30 -
if you buy on-line - $80 if you buy form the cruise folks.

$30 is quite a bargain, for the popular "MUST SEE" of Grand Cayman,
at least once, anyway. :-)

They pick you up in a bus by the dock - drive you to the boat - take you
out on the boat for some great snorkeling - then to the Sting Ray City.
There are 100's of stingrays there - up to 6 feet across - they come
right up to you - rub against you - take food out of your hand. The
guide even picks them up and poses them with you. See my blog -
www.harry.everhart.com. then they take you back to town or a really
nice beach.

The only danger of playing with these sometimes-too-friendly creatures
is that their mouth is at the bottom and their eyes are on top, and
they
eat by SMELL. Thus, in the feeding frenzy, they sometimes mistake
the arm, body, or other parts of the diver as a piece of good-tasting
squid (one of their favorites) and leave a "hicky" on the diver, that
remains there for days. :-)

Wife found Moby Dick Tours on the net - and booked them for $30 a person.

Harry

Enjoy. You'll love it.

Since I've been on the Cayman Aggressor 14 times, annually from
1990 through 2004, and the Aggressor always stops at Stingray City
on the last day of its one-week charter, that event, which is normally
exciting to everyone who visits that site, becomes sort of boring
after the first half a dozen times or so. On my last TWO trips, I
finally elected to SIT on the boat, and not even get wet, when
nearly everyone else was having a great time with those critters.

Not quite as bad as the world famous Belize Blue Hole of stallactites
and stalagmites at 130 feet deep inside the hole. There, once is
a MUST SEE, but boredom sets in on the 3rd if not the 2nd trial.
Thank goodness I was there only 4 times.

-- Bob.