Santa Fe NM

Old November 14th, 2006, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

Default Santa Fe NM

In article et,
bb wrote:
Geronimo's. Anyone tried it? Thanks for all help and opinions.

It's OK. Touristy.

Old November 14th, 2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bb

Going next week. Would appreciate suggestions for restaurants, things not
to miss, favorite jewelry stores, side trips, anything. Someone said eat at

Old November 15th, 2006, 01:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bb

If it's "touristy" please give me some ideas on the better spots. Thanks.

"Eugene Miya" wrote in message

Old November 15th, 2006, 01:40 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig[_1_]

"bb" wrote...

Going next week. Would appreciate suggestions for restaurants, things not
to miss, favorite jewelry stores, side trips, anything. Someone said eat
at Geronimo's. Anyone tried it? Thanks for all help and opinions.
bb

I'd suggest a day-trip to Los Alamos, another to Taos, maybe even ride the
Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railway--and in Santa Fe, check out the O'Keeffe
museum:

http://www.okeeffemuseum.org/indexflash.php

Craig

Old November 15th, 2006, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
bb

I do appreciate your input. Thanks so much. bb

"Craig" wrote in message

"bb" wrote...

Going next week. Would appreciate suggestions for restaurants, things
not to miss, favorite jewelry stores, side trips, anything. Someone said
eat at Geronimo's. Anyone tried it? Thanks for all help and opinions.

Old November 15th, 2006, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sarah Banick

"bb" wrote in message
nk.net...
Going next week. Would appreciate suggestions for restaurants, things not
to miss, favorite jewelry stores, side trips, anything. Someone said eat
at Geronimo's. Anyone tried it? Thanks for all help and opinions.
bb

Lessee, it's been a while since I was there, but food is a passion. There's
the ever popular Tomasita's, a local favorite (SW). The Blue Corn Cafe and
Brewery, Rancho de Chimayo (outside of town), Coyote Cafe (Mark Miller's
place), Cafe Pasqual's, El Farol. I think that's everything I ate at, and
all were excellent. I'm not sure there are any bad places to eat in Sante Fe
;-)

Seriously, there's a lot of excellent food in Sante Fe. Check out
Chowhound.com or egullet.com to get more ideas.

I wasn't impressed at all by Taos (the city). Seemed like just any tourist
town to me. But if you go, skip the interstate and take the old road. It's
beautiful.

Make sure you visit the cathedral and the Loretto Chapel with its staircase.
Also, the Bishop's House, outside of town, is a beautiful place for a meal.

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Sarah Banick wrote:
Lessee, it's been a while since I was there, but food is a passion.

Ditto.

... Coyote Cafe (Mark Miller's place), Cafe Pasqual's, ....

We ate at these two -- actually the less expensive rooftop cantina
at Coyote Cafe -- and thoroughly enjoyed both.

Food in Santa Fe is fabulous.

Old November 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"Sarah Banick" wrote in message
. ..

snip

I wasn't impressed at all by Taos (the city). Seemed like just any tourist
town to me. But if you go, skip the interstate and take the old road. It's
beautiful.

Me too. I just don't get it. But don't miss the Taos pueblo. It's worth a
detour, at least (in Michelinese).

As for restaurants in Santa Fe, it's been a few years, but we have fond
memories of Paul's, which was reasonably priced as well as very good.

Marianne

Old November 15th, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Todd Michel McComb

In article ,
Mimi wrote:
"Sarah Banick" wrote in message
I wasn't impressed at all by Taos (the city). Seemed like just
any tourist town to me.

Me too. I just don't get it.

I've stayed there because it's just more convenient to the outdoors-y
spots. It's also easier to walk around town. Nothing more than
that. There's some pretty good food in Taos, but it's not as good
as Santa Fe, and the prices are higher.

Santa Fe has great food, but it's kind of rundown.

Old November 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article et,
bb wrote:
If it's "touristy" please give me some ideas on the better spots. Thanks.

Yeah I try to give some thought beyond merely saying its touristy, but
so is most of the town.

The first time I went to Los Alamos (LANL) I was told to visit Rancho
Chimayo. And it was good, but over time it became touristy (not fully
bad but you had to wait, etc.). Then I had a couple of meetings in
Santa Fe at the La Fonda. So in addition to eating there, I ate at
places around there. Not that the food is bad. Merely touristy.
Then a friend moved there from DC and I would send the holidays with her
and her son and others friends from the net. Her son went to chef school.
He made this awesome green chili soup (he's programming these days not
cooking). So he's not in the business currently. You can't go to their
house. But there are some very nice markets all around (includeing ABQ).

And I concur with the others about Taos.