Recommend a good 1st cruise?

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:15 AM
Andrea Bostrom

Default Recommend a good 1st cruise?

Hello ---
I've been reading this board for quite some time and have enjoyed the
trip reports. Hubby and I are 48 and 39, and considering taking our first
cruise. We generally go to the Bahamas or all-inclusive resorts in the
Caribbean, but would like to try a cruise at least once.
We don't want a cruise with a lot of loud goings on during the day,
i.e. "hairy chest contest" and what not, but we enjoy music and lounging by the
pool. We are both active and would like ports with activities like
snorkeling,nice beaches, rainforest exursions, rafting, historical excursions,
etc. I guess the best way to put it is we'd like a subdued, relaxing
atmosphere onboard and ports that offer exploration/physical
activities/historical tours instead of just shopping.
Re food, we both enjoy fine dining but don't want to have to dress up
every night so it sounds like the "freestyle" plan may be best for us. We
basically want to relax and unwind for a week and enjoy the ocean so we're
geared towards a Caribbean itinerary. Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated --- price does not matter (well of course it does for all of us!)
but we'd love to hear your input re suggestions. Feel free to email directly.

Andrea

Old March 2nd, 2004, 03:03 AM
Andrea Bostrom

From: "Tom & Linda"
Date: 3/1/04 8:57 PM Eastern Standard Time
When do you want to go? What time of the year?

--Tom

Hopefully in May or June of this year.

Andrea

Old March 2nd, 2004, 05:28 AM
Thomas Smith

Based on what you are posting here, you might consider a cruise on Princess
or Celebrity. I also would definitely try to cruise before Memorial Day,
before school lets out and prices go up. As for destinations, you may find
a western Caribbean itinerary more to your liking, but an eastern Caribbean
itinerary is also acceptable.

Tom Smith

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:19 AM
StevenN2WJ

I think any of the Holland America ships would make them very happy... Not
a lot of party, but a lot of class and relaxation......

Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:04 AM
Stefan Patric

On Monday 01 March 2004 05:15 pm, Andrea Bostrom wrote:

[...]

A good 1st cruise? Spoil yourselves...

Radisson Seven Seas Cruises, The Paul Gauguin, Tahiti (www.rssc.com)
should meet all your requirements.

Or for a "different" kind of cruise ship: Windstar Lines
(www.windstarcruises.com)

--
Stefan Patric

Old March 2nd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Bisous3

Someone here told me about this website:
www.02cruise.com/LineSearch/index.asp
Its the "cruise wizard" that gives you a questionnaire to fill out and then
offers suggestions on cruiselines based on your answers.
I found it to be very helpful- for me it suggested Celebrity, Princess and
Holland America.
Good luck and enjoy.
Sue
Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:45 PM
RICK DAVIS

Andrea, Based on your comment that your both active....I would suggest
Royal Caribbean Voyager class ships. Great pool bands, lots of activity
(rock wall, roller blading, mini golf, Volleyball, basketball, ice
skating, swimming - or nothing at all). Food is very good. Let us all
know what you decided. Your not going to go wrong with what ever you
decide.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:15 AM
Thomas Smith

I thought about HAL, but it sounded like they wanted something a little more
casual than HAL.

Tom Smith