AGE for drinking and going alone on ship

Old September 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Bill Bradley

Default AGE for drinking and going alone on ship

What is the age for drinking on a cruise ship? 18 or 21? (Out of Florida)

What is the age that a cruise ship will allow someone to cruise without
their parents? I was wondering how many people use cruise ships for spring
break activities without their parents around?

Thanks

Bill

Old September 19th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Lunyma

What is the age for drinking on a cruise ship? 18 or 21? (Out of Florida)

On Royal Caribbean, 18 yr olds can drink beer and wine... 21 and over for
mixed drinks on RCCL and other lines...

What is the age that a cruise ship will allow someone to cruise without
their parents?

Not positive, but I know that on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, there must be
someone in the cabin that is 25 or older, IF there is someone under 21 in the
cabin. I think that Princess and NCL have different rules, but am not sure
anymore.

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Rick King

On Royal Caribbean, 18 yr olds can drink beer and wine... 21 and over for
mixed drinks on RCCL and other lines...

What is the age that a cruise ship will allow someone to cruise without
their parents?

Not positive, but I know that on Royal Caribbean and Carnival, there must
be
someone in the cabin that is 25 or older, IF there is someone under 21 in
the
cabin. I think that Princess and NCL have different rules, but am not sure
anymore.

I am just off the Navigator of the Seas and we had a family group on the
cruise so
I can shed some light on this subject.

RCCL will let 18-21 year olds drink beer and wine...WITH the parents written
permission.
Apparently they had some problems and now require the permission. I did
find that
the servers enforced the beer and wine part on a hit and miss
basis...sometimes my young
cousins were able to get hard drinks of the choice.

The cabin question is somewhat different....official policy is someone 25 or
older in the cabin.
We were able to get this changed at check-in and actually had two 18 year
olds in one stateroom by themselves.
However they were with a group of 24 family members...and I think this had
something to do
with the decision to let the boys occupy a stateroom by themselves.

later

Rick

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Rusty

Bill Bradley wrote:
What is the age for drinking on a cruise ship? 18 or 21? (Out of Florida)

What is the age that a cruise ship will allow someone to cruise without
their parents? I was wondering how many people use cruise ships for spring
break activities without their parents around?

Thanks

Bill

My granddaughter went on a 3 day Carnival cruise in August. The girls
were 21 and 22 of age. The 4 of them stayed in a cabin without an older
adult. They also had no problem getting any drinks of their choice. Rusty

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Thomas Smith

"Bill Bradley" wrote in message
What is the age for drinking on a cruise ship? 18 or 21? (Out of Florida)

It varies. Carnival's minimum drinking age is 21. Royal Caribbean allows
drinking beer or wine (with permission based on posts here) at 18 unless the
port they are in sets a higher minimum age.

What is the age that a cruise ship will allow someone to cruise without
their parents? I was wondering how many people use cruise ships for

spring
break activities without their parents around?

General rule is someone must be at least 25 in the cabin if someone else is
under 21. The main exceptions are for married couples and families
travelling together.

Thanks

Bill

Tom Smith

Old September 19th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Dave Beers

Most lines have a minimum drinking age of 21, although RCCL allows 18
yr olds to buy beer and wine. 21 is also the minimum age for
traveling alone with the major cruise lines. Those under 21 have to
have someone 25 or older traveling with them.

The waiters and bartenders are usually quite strict about the age
requirements. Carnival is probably the most strict, believe it or
not. I assume they have been threatened with termination if they sell
to underage passengers. On our last cruise, with RCCL, I saw numerous
ID checks. They use a hole punch system for the cruise cards. Two
holes means no booze. One hole means beer and wine is allowed. Kids
were trying to buy beer with a buddies card, but the bartenders aren't
stupid. In the instances I observed, the plan didn't work and the
bartenders expressed their annoyance to the perpetrators. One even
threatened to report the kid to security.

Old September 19th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Linsifer

I know you must BOOK it so there is someone over 25 in a cabin, but many
families then do a "switch" once they are in the actual cabin hallways. The
parents are in their own cabin and the kids are often across the hall in an
inside cabin. Some ships have adjoining cabins, as well. I know with our large
family cruise a few years ago and again coming up next July, we were all booked
"legally", but once we got on board, the 5 girls cousins all slept in their own
cabin across from several of us adults who were in our own cabins so we could
keep an eye on them. In our next cruise, only 4 can fit in the cabin and they
will be sandwiched in between their parents' cabins and across from the
grandparents. The 5th girl (our daughter) will be with us, however, they can
take turns and she can join them a few times, I hope. Their ages will be 13,
14, 14, 14½ and 15. Probably an easier age to control than the 17-21 age group.
They're still at the
giggly-ooooh-I-saw-a-cute-boy-let-me-have-the-mirror-does-this-skirt-look-
okay-on-me? stage. grin

Lindsay