San Juan -> Frontier Pier (For Dawn Princess)

Old January 25th, 2004, 11:55 PM

Default San Juan -> Frontier Pier (For Dawn Princess)

Just learned that the Dawn Princess I'm going will be docked at Frontier
Pier. I have no clue as where it is except it's in San Juan, not Old San
Juan. Could you please take a look at this map and show me if it's in
this map?
http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ameri..._juan_1982.jpg

Note: if you use Mozilla Firebird (http://mozilla.org) you can click on
it to zoom in for a readable map. Otherwise, I guess u can download then
view or zoom in with an image viewer.

Also, I'm looking for an inexpensive hotel ($200) close to the pier
if possible (I only stay there for one night so it doesn't have to have
fancy amenities.) Any recommendation? Julia recommended one in my earlier
post but since I don't know where the ship dock is, I'm still keeping my
options open. Still digging thru google but it's been overwhelming (some
outdated) so any tip with latest info would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--Henry *snowed in and day dreaming of anything tropical*
Old January 26th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Tom & Linda

The location is just north of the word Antonio (Cano De San Antonio).

Almost all the hotels in San Juan are within 10 minutes of where the ship
will dock. Ones in the Condado district are within 5 minutes.

--Tom

om...

Old January 26th, 2004, 12:30 AM
jcoulter

"Tom & Linda" wrote in
:

The location is just north of the word Antonio (Cano De San Antonio).

Almost all the hotels in San Juan are within 10 minutes of where the
ship will dock. Ones in the Condado district are within 5 minutes.

That looks like where Princess has docked since at least 94 when I took the
Star P. The area is closer to Condado than the others and a walk through a
rough neighborhood to the old town. Do not take this walk in the evening,
heck it scared me in daylight.

Old January 26th, 2004, 05:59 AM

jcoulter wrote:

That looks like where Princess has docked since at least 94 when I took the
Star P. The area is closer to Condado than the others and a walk through a
rough neighborhood to the old town. Do not take this walk in the evening,
heck it scared me in daylight.

It's that bad eh? Thanks for the warning. What about walking in the Condado
area other parts of the town during the day?

Old January 26th, 2004, 11:24 AM
jcoulter

wrote in
m:

jcoulter wrote:

That looks like where Princess has docked since at least 94 when I
took the Star P. The area is closer to Condado than the others and a
walk through a rough neighborhood to the old town. Do not take this
walk in the evening, heck it scared me in daylight.

It's that bad eh? Thanks for the warning. What about walking in the
Condado area other parts of the town during the day?

Don't get me wrong, Old Town is very approachable and Condado is fairly
user friendly it is just that there is a housing project between where
Princess docks and the Old Town. There is also the Capitol building (in
fornt of which I saw an abandoned car on blocks thus reinforcing my avoid
this stretch of urban landscape mentality)
Old January 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM
zuggie

One of the best hotels in that area is the Caribe Hilton. It would be an
easy walk to the Frontier Pier if it weren't for lugging all your stuff. In
December there was a deal on Orbitz for $125. a night. Others were
reporting getting it on Priceline for $80. The Canario Lagoon hotel is in
the area and it goes usually for around $90 - regular rack rate. Nothing
special, but OK for one night.

We sailed the Dawn in December. Beautiful ship - wonderful cruise..

We stayed the night before at the Raddisson Ambassador - a PriceLine deal
for $75, and the night after at the Caribe Hilton for that $125. We walked
the entire length of Condado from the Raddison to Old Town at dusk one
night. It goes from nice to seedy - but the seedy parts were short and
there was a policeman on every corner.

Dave

om...