Finnair to drop MD80s for ERJ170s

Old June 30th, 2004, 08:35 PM
A Guy Called Tyketto

Default Finnair to drop MD80s for ERJ170s

[ Smart move, IMHO. -Ed. ]

http://www.finnairgroup.com/investor...630090004.html

FINNAIR PLC STOCK EXCHANGE RELEASE JUNE 30, 2004 AT 9.00AM

FINNAIR ORDERS 12 NEW JETS

Finnair is renewing its fleet by acquiring 76-seat Embraer 170 jet
aircraft. Finnair Aircraft Finance Ltd and the Brazilian aircraft
manufacturer Embraer have agreed on the firm order of 12 aircraft
and options for eight.

Finnair President and CEO Keijo Suila explains, "We have renewed
half of our fleet in five years. Our operational environment is
changing and the most successful will be the one who reacts quickly
to the new situation and is among the first to take advantage of it.
We are continuing with our strategy by acquiring the best possible
fleet for our feeder traffic."

The Embraer 170 aircraft will replace the MD-80 fleet and ATR-72
turboprop aircraft which are being retired.
"Shifting to a single aircraft type will bring significant savings
in operating costs. At the same time fuel consumption will be cut by
a third and air traffic charges will decrease. From the passenger's
viewpoint, Embraer aircraft are comfortable and fast. Thus we can
improve on our already high standard of service," Suila continues.

The Embraer aircraft will be used in domestic and European traffic
on routes and frequencies where demand is better met by an aircraft
smaller than the Airbus A320s in Finnair's fleet.
"Our efficiency will improve as our route network and services
become more varied. The new aircraft will give us flexibility to
serve our clients on more routes and outside peak hours as well,"
says Suila.

Embraer has been designing and manufacturing aircraft for both
commercial and military use for over 30 years. The new generation
Embraer 170/190 family aircraft are the first commercial aircraft to
receive type certificates this century. The aircraft engines,
manufactured by General Electric, are clean-running and have a low
noise level.

The value of the firm order aircraft on the basis of the
manufacturer's listed price is approximately 320 million US dollars.
The aircraft now on order will be delivered to Finnair Group's
Finnair Aircraft Finance Ltd between September 2005 and May 2007.

The aircraft are already in service with some European and American
airlines. The number of seats for the family of aircraft varies
between 70 and 108. Embraer has over 250 orders and a little under
350 options for this new aircraft type from airlines around the
world. Finnair's orders and options can be converted to other
versions within the aircraft family.

Finnair Plc
Communications
30.6.2004