Very cheap tickets (truth or myth)?

Old March 31st, 2004, 08:09 PM
Robert Kim

Default Very cheap tickets (truth or myth)?

Hi, all. I heard that it is possible to get very low-cost airplane
tickets on the very day you want to fly. You can't call this in or
reserve a ticket online but I was told you just show up at the check-in
counter and if there is a seat available, you can get a plane ticket very
cheaply. Of course, you take the chance that there are no seats
available but if there are you win.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done this? If so, how much of a
discount from the regular fare can you get? TIA.

Bob
Old March 31st, 2004, 08:21 PM
Joe Momma

"Robert Kim" wrote in message
urdue.edu...
Hi, all. I heard that it is possible to get very low-cost airplane
tickets on the very day you want to fly. You can't call this in or
reserve a ticket online but I was told you just show up at the check-in
counter and if there is a seat available, you can get a plane ticket very
cheaply. Of course, you take the chance that there are no seats
available but if there are you win.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done this? If so, how much of a
discount from the regular fare can you get? TIA.

if you're between 18-22, Air-Tran has X-Fares. Standby for $55 or
$75/segment, depending on flight length. Other than that, Priceline/Hotwire
is all I can think of that actually exists.

Old March 31st, 2004, 08:25 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Robert Kim" wrote in message
urdue.edu...
Hi, all. I heard that it is possible to get very low-cost airplane
tickets on the very day you want to fly. You can't call this in or
reserve a ticket online but I was told you just show up at the check-in
counter and if there is a seat available, you can get a plane ticket very
cheaply. Of course, you take the chance that there are no seats
available but if there are you win.

Is there any truth to this? Has anyone done this? If so, how much of a
discount from the regular fare can you get? TIA.

There are very rare occurences of this. But for the most part turning up at
the last minute means you pay a hefty premium, rather than a reduction, I'm
afraid.

(They find it's more worthwhile selling tickets to a small amount of people
who absolutely have to get there *right now*, rather than a larger amount of
people looking for a cheap deal)

Old April 2nd, 2004, 01:20 AM
Robert Kim

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Mark Hewitt wrote:

"Robert Kim" wrote in message
urdue.edu...
[...]

Thanks, Mark (and Joe). I was hoping for deal where it would be possible
to have some impromptu vacations out of state on weekends.

Bob
Old April 2nd, 2004, 04:20 AM
James Robinson

Robert Kim wrote:

Thanks, Mark (and Joe). I was hoping for deal where it would be possible
to have some impromptu vacations out of state on weekends.

That's possible, but you can't just appear at the airport and wait for a
deal on a particular flight. You need to watch the web special fares
the airlines offer and wait to pick one that heads somewhere you want to
go.
Old April 2nd, 2004, 03:07 PM
Traveller

"James Robinson" wrote in message
Robert Kim wrote:

Thanks, Mark (and Joe). I was hoping for deal where it would be

possible
to have some impromptu vacations out of state on weekends.

That's possible, but you can't just appear at the airport and wait for a
deal on a particular flight. You need to watch the web special fares
the airlines offer and wait to pick one that heads somewhere you want to
go.

Yup. AA and others do weekly e-mails of cheapos..

Old April 2nd, 2004, 11:33 PM
Miguel Cruz

Robert Kim wrote:
Thanks, Mark (and Joe). I was hoping for deal where it would be possible
to have some impromptu vacations out of state on weekends.

Sign up for the deal alerts at www.smarterliving.com (don't sign up with the
individual airlines). Smarterliving gathers and collates all the
"last-minute" offers that airlines put out on Wednesdays for the coming
weekend. Occasionally some good deals but there's as lot of $138
Cleveland-Duluth stuff.

miguel