Australia travel tips

Old August 18th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Alessandro Cannarsi

Default Australia travel tips

Hi everybody,

I'm off on a 20 days trip to Australia in October. I am going to spend
3 days in Sydney and I am trying to plan a 2-week itinerary.

What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef.

Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive and
what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -

Do you think Kakadu is more interesting than cape york or the
opposite?

Would you suggest to drive from Sydney to Alice and fly from there to
Darwin-Kakadu or viceversa? Is the panorama from Alice to Kakadu
interesting?

Or would you suggest driving from Alice to Cairns and the great
barrier?

Thanks

Alessandro
Old August 18th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Roger Martin

"Alessandro Cannarsi" wrote in message
m...
Hi everybody,

I'm off on a 20 days trip to Australia in October. I am going to spend
3 days in Sydney and I am trying to plan a 2-week itinerary.

What I was thinking about is: flying from Sydney to Alice Springs, see
Uluru, visit the Kakadu National Park and/or the Northern Peninsula
(Cape York) and spend some days diving in the northern part of the
reef.

Uluru is the best part of a day's drive from Alice Springs, you can fly
direct
to Uluru.

Kakadu is worth the effort to get there.

Cape York is not for novice drivers in Outback Australia, I'd suggest
you look at spending more time in Kakadu. You need a serious 4x4
with all the trimmings for living without a lot of other support - fuel,
water,
spares, camping equipment.

Since the distances are huge I must choose what segments to drive and
what segments to fly based on the experience I will get -

Do you think Kakadu is more interesting than cape york or the
opposite?

Would you suggest to drive from Sydney to Alice and fly from there to
Darwin-Kakadu or viceversa? Is the panorama from Alice to Kakadu
interesting?

Sydney to Alice Springs is a loooooong drive - at least 4 days to do
it safely.

Or would you suggest driving from Alice to Cairns and the great
barrier?

Thats another long drive, allow 3 to 4 days at least, but Kakadu is
on the way.

Thanks

Alessandro

Old August 19th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Alan

On 18 Aug 2004 14:10:27 -0700, (Alessandro
Cannarsi) wrote:

[...]

In broad terms, spend a little more time around Sydney (Blue Mountains,
Broken bay etc) and a little less up north.

For the localities you've selected - fly everywhere and take bus, rail
or ferry trips locally. You have not really got a concept of the
distances and conditions involved in driving Sydney-Alice-Uluru, or
Alice-Cairns (now that would be an interesting drive, but not over a
week or two).

The only place I'd rent a car would be Cairns, to wander around the
north. Take day trips at each stop - Blue Mountains and Hawkesbury from
Sydney, Barossa Valley from Adelaide, Uluru from Alice etc.

Just a rough itinerary to play with over 20 days:
1 Sydney
2
3
4
5
6
7
8 Adelaide
9 Alice
10 Uluru
11 Darwin
12 Kakadu
13
14 Cairns
15
16
17
18
19
20 depart

Cheers, Alan

Old August 19th, 2004, 01:41 AM
SteveS

Because of the distances and in some cases the road/weather conditions - fly
where you can and keep driving to the minimum.

SteveS

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:13 AM
Downunder

[...]

Alessandro ,
I'd suggest you do a lot more research on Australia. As others have pionted
out, your knowledge of our land at this stage makes you plannign exercise a
bit meaningless.

First step, place a map of your country on Australia (same scale). Then
realinse we don't have autobhanns etc.

Also, October is getting hot in the north and the vegetation has all dried
out....water is getting scarce (meaning tepid little waterfalls in Kakadu).

If you can, delay and go in May/June 2005 when everything is still green and
lush and the weather is far more affable.

Matt
Reservation Heaven

Old August 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM
A Mate

Alessandro - some replies are unkind!! It is possible (and fairly easy too)
to drive from Alice Springs to Cairns (the Savannah Way!!); but it would
take 4 days at least. Cape York is actually near (relatively speaking)
Cairns - nowhere near Darwin or Alice Springs!! Do some real research - and
use a website which shows distances and driving times. Try:
http://www.auinfo.com/

Have Fun!!!