phone service in AUS ...

Old May 28th, 2004, 08:38 PM
4000 psi

Default phone service in AUS ...

hi, i need advise in understanding how typical land-line phone service fees
compare to a typical cellular service fees in AUS ... could someone
recommend some good deals on both in the Brisbane area ... thank you!

Old May 29th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Alan

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:38:11 -0700, "4000 psi"
wrote:

hi, i need advise in understanding how typical land-line phone service fees
compare to a typical cellular service fees in AUS ... could someone
recommend some good deals on both in the Brisbane area ... thank you!

Too many variables to answer.

See:
http://www.optus.com.au/Vign/ViewMgm...ew_200,FF.html

and
http://telstra.com/index.jsp

Cheers, Alan
Old May 29th, 2004, 01:27 AM
A Mate

There are literally hundreds of 'deals' and various combinations depending
on just whom you choose as your phone provider - and what services you want
bundled - internet, mobile, cable TV, land line.

Essentially most land lines are owned by Telstra, which however wholesales
services to other providers. The next biggest owner of land lines is Optus,
who also buy land line space from Telstra (Still with it???).

Personally I have an Optus phone service (bundled with cable internet). Line
rental about $27 per month (including 50 free local calls). Local call cost
15c each.

I have a Vodafone prepaid mobile service (I'm a light user, keep it so
family can ring me!!). $30 for a 6 month sim usage, including $15 call
credit. Recharge cards available everywhere. Cable TV I use Foxtel (Telstra
are part owners!).

The major mobile providers are Telstra, Optus and Vodafone. They own all the
towers, but wholesale to an army of resellers. Best coverage is Telstra (and
its resellers); but all three have essentially the same coverage for cities
and towns. It's only bush coverage that's significantly different. Telstra
also run a CADMA network, which gives much better rural coverage.

Best of luck in working out what's best for you!!

Old May 29th, 2004, 02:21 AM
4000 psi

I have a Vodafone prepaid mobile service (I'm a light user, keep it so
family can ring me!!). $30 for a 6 month sim usage, including $15 call
credit. Recharge cards available everywhere.

what are you referring to when you say "Recharge cards"? i'm not familiar
with the concept ...

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:08 AM
A Mate

As your prepaid credit balance diminishes you 'recharge' it by any one of
several ways. #1. Credit card. #2. Buy a credit at a post office - dial a
number and enter the code the PO sold you. #3. Buy a recharge card, sold at
all supermarkets newspaper shops etc. Scratch off the security coating to
reveal a number code. Dial the recharge number - enter the code!! Recharge
effectively pays money into your prepaid mobile account.

Remember in Australia every one and their kids down to 6 yrs or so owns a
mobile phone. Not all parents want to bestow unlimited call credits on their
offspring (Services offered through mobile phones can be mind boggling, and
very expensive). So you can control your mobile phone expenditure very
precisely if you wish to!!

Different carriers have different policies for subscribers whose credits
have expired. With Vodafone you can no longer dial out or sms - but you
continue to receive calls and sms messages for a time!!

Old May 29th, 2004, 03:58 AM
4000 psi

Different carriers have different policies for subscribers whose credits
have expired. With Vodafone you can no longer dial out or sms - but you
continue to receive calls and sms messages for a time!!

don't you get billed for both outgoing and incoming calls on a mobile ... if
you can still get calls for a time after charges have expired are these
incoming calls free?

do the mobile contracts include long distance service?

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:08 AM
Daniel Bowen

"4000 psi" wrote in message
Different carriers have different policies for subscribers whose credits
have expired. With Vodafone you can no longer dial out or sms - but you
continue to receive calls and sms messages for a time!!

don't you get billed for both outgoing and incoming calls on a mobile ...

if
you can still get calls for a time after charges have expired are these
incoming calls free?

No, you only get billed for outgoing calls.

do the mobile contracts include long distance service?

All calls from mobiles are timed calls, whether they are going to local or
long distance numbers.

Recommend you read the web sites Alan referred to.

Daniel

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Roger Martin

"4000 psi" wrote in message
Different carriers have different policies for subscribers whose credits
have expired. With Vodafone you can no longer dial out or sms - but you
continue to receive calls and sms messages for a time!!

don't you get billed for both outgoing and incoming calls on a mobile ...

if
you can still get calls for a time after charges have expired are these
incoming calls free?

Usually just outgoing calls are charged on mobiles.

do the mobile contracts include long distance service?

Unless you specifically block long distance calls on your phones you will
get every service thats available - information services, reverse charges,
international, etc etc.

My own preference is to go with Telstra for everything - phone, broadband
and mobile service - you get one bill, get discounts which I still dont
understand, the connection plan costs they have are similar to everyone else
out there.

I have a whinge about Optus - my son has one and we came upon a fatal road
accident late last year - he dialled 000 for the emergency services and it
rang out three times without being answered. By then someone else had got
through on 000.

Old May 29th, 2004, 05:47 AM
A Mate

You only pay for incoming mobile calls in the USA and Canada as far as I
know. Certainly you only pay for outgoing in Australia and NZ (and
Europe!!).

All mobile phones pay the same for 'long distance' as for local (That 'long
distance higher rates' for cell phones is another North American speciality.
All mobile phones have access to all network services.

Old May 29th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Alan

On Sat, 29 May 2004 14:47:52 +1000, "A Mate"
wrote:

You only pay for incoming mobile calls in the USA and Canada as far as I
know. Certainly you only pay for outgoing in Australia and NZ (and
Europe!!).

All mobile phones pay the same for 'long distance' as for local (That 'long
distance higher rates' for cell phones is another North American speciality.
All mobile phones have access to all network services.

Almost all of the EU countries charge for incoming.
At least they did last year, when I was there.

Cheers, Alan