Flight route maps?

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:36 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell

Default Flight route maps?

Anyone know a site where I might find the flight route Gatwick to Malaga
please? Or more generally a site showing all European routes. Not sure if it
varies by airline, but if so this flight was by Easyjet. I'd like to include
the map in a DVD I'm making of the holiday.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
J B[_3_]

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Anyone know a site where I might find the flight route Gatwick to Malaga
please? Or more generally a site showing all European routes. Not sure if
it
varies by airline, but if so this flight was by Easyjet. I'd like to
include
the map in a DVD I'm making of the holiday.

Someone sent me this t'other day, don't suppose it's what you want, but it
was very interesting ....

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/?lat=54....671875&zoom=5#

--
J B

Old April 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

Jim Mason wrote:

In article ,
says...

Anyone know a site where I might find the flight route Gatwick to Malaga
please? Or more generally a site showing all European routes. Not sure if it
varies by airline, but if so this flight was by Easyjet. I'd like to include
the map in a DVD I'm making of the holiday.

Try www.openatc.com and use the advanced search facility then input the
flight number and date and you should see the exact route it took for most
or all of the route.

Thanks, that sounded exactly what I want - but I can't get a result from it!
Are you sure this covers commercial airline flights? There is no box for
'Flight Number', just Callsign and Registration. So maybe it's intended only
for private flights?

I did try entering EZ8605 in the Callsign field and 10th April in Startdate,
to specify the Easyjet flight from Gatwick to Malaga, but after clicking
'Search now' I was returned to the same form.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:16 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Graham Harrison[_3_]

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
Jim Mason wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Well, easyJet isn't EZ. Try U2, EZY or EZS. The other problem is that
some airlines don't use the flight number as the call sign. For instance
BA domestic flights are usually something along the lines of SHT6C (now
lets see if I can remember how all that works... probably SHT = Shuttle
[long defunct] 6 is the route [might be LHRMAN] and C is the 3rd flight of
the day on that route).

Old April 28th, 2010, 07:03 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell

"J B" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
Anyone know a site where I might find the flight route Gatwick to Malaga
please? Or more generally a site showing all European routes. Not sure if
it
varies by airline, but if so this flight was by Easyjet. I'd like to
include
the map in a DVD I'm making of the holiday.

Someone sent me this t'other day, don't suppose it's what you want, but it
was very interesting ....

http://www.radarvirtuel.com/?lat=54....671875&zoom=5#

Thanks, fascinating site and one I've bookmarked. But, as you say, it doesn't
provide a flight route map.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell

"Graham Harrison" wrote:

"Terry Pinnell" wrote in message
.. .
Jim Mason wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Not sure I follow? EZ8605 is the flight number I'm interested in, and was the
Easy Jet flight from Gatwick to Malaga on Sat 10th April at 1105. 'EZ' is the
standard prefix for all Easy Jet flights.

Try U2, EZY or EZS.

Thanks, but no hits on any of those for 10th April.

The other problem is that
some airlines don't use the flight number as the call sign.

As far as I can tell so far, NONE of them do. So www.openatc.com doesn't
appear to be usable unless you made a note of the plane's registration code
on boarding or exit, or overheard the pilot using a callsign.

Old April 28th, 2010, 08:21 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Jim Mason wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

I'm sure I must be making some basic mistakes in the way I'm trying to use
this site! I'm getting mightily confused.

So far, using Power Search, I can't find any of the several flights I've
tried, including the specific target I've described. Here's a photo of the
departures board. I specified start and end dates of 10th and 11th April
respectively. Oddly, I got flights on 9th and 10th! Some sort of bug?

Also, the instructions say that a max of 200 flights will be displayed. But
I'm getting only 100.

EZY8605
I specified 10th/11th for start/end, and EZY as a partial callsign. The 100
hits covered 9th and 10th with no sign of EZY8605.

And there were no hits for the dozen others I tried, For example:
MA613 No hit (or for any containing MA in Callsign)
JP451 No hit (for any containing JP in Callsign)
BA2882 No hit (for any containing BA2 in Callsign)
etc

Can anyone with practical experience of using the site help me out please?

Of course, that still leaves the crucial issue of how to specify a flight
number, i.e. how to convert a flight number like EZ8605 from my reservation
(shown on the board as EZY8605) to a Callsign.

Finally , am I right in assuming that ALL flights are covered by openATC?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 29th, 2010, 07:16 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
A Guy Called Tyketto

Old April 29th, 2010, 07:50 AM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Terry Pinnell[_2_]

"Here's a photo of the departures board"

Oops - forgot to post the link. Here it is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4019461/20100410-093053.jpg

Brad: Thanks, but I don't see how that gets me any closer. Obviously, using
the example they provide will produce some hits! It looks to me as if the
site includes only a random/arbitrary subset of actual flights.

Another possibility is that the date selection is screwed up and is not just
1 day offset.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:35 PM posted to alt.travel.uk.air,rec.travel.air
Michael Williams

Terry Pinnell wrote in
:

Anyone know a site where I might find the flight route Gatwick to
Malaga please? Or more generally a site showing all European routes.
Not sure if it varies by airline, but if so this flight was by
Easyjet. I'd like to include the map in a DVD I'm making of the
holiday.

What about the Great Circle Mapper at http://www.gcmap.com ?

You can enter "lgw-agp" and click on "Map," and it will map the general
route for flights between those points. Good luck with your project!