sending post cards from cruise ships to the US

Old September 13th, 2012, 09:21 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Sandy[_5_]

Default sending post cards from cruise ships to the US

Is it possible to send post cards from the cruise ships to the US? If so,
would they have the appropriate stamps on board or even post cards?
We would like to send post cards when we go on our European cruise next year
as that is the souvenirs that our friends would like.

If not, would it be possible to find post offices near the docs or do you
think if we paid someone of the cruise staff to mail them for us, they woud
do so?

Sandy

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Janet Wilder

On 9/13/2012 3:21 PM, Sandy wrote:
Is it possible to send post cards from the cruise ships to the US? If so,
would they have the appropriate stamps on board or even post cards?
We would like to send post cards when we go on our European cruise next year
as that is the souvenirs that our friends would like.

If not, would it be possible to find post offices near the docs or do you
think if we paid someone of the cruise staff to mail them for us, they woud
do so?

Sandy

Buy the post cards and mail them when you get home. Most likely you'll
have been home a month before anyone gets them anyway.

Some souvenir shops will have local postage stamps available and will
mail the postcards for you, but don't count on finding too many.

Asking someone to do it for you will probably not work.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

Janet Wilder wrote in
b.com:

On 9/13/2012 3:21 PM, Sandy wrote:
Is it possible to send post cards from the cruise ships to the US?
If so, would they have the appropriate stamps on board or even post
cards? We would like to send post cards when we go on our European
cruise next year as that is the souvenirs that our friends would
like.

If not, would it be possible to find post offices near the docs or
do you think if we paid someone of the cruise staff to mail them for
us, they woud do so?

Sandy

They will accept your post cards on the ship,but will not mail them until
they return to port. The best thing to do is mail them from your port that
you are in. Who ever you send them to will not get them until long after
you are back.

If you are going to mail them from the port that you visit make sure you
mail them from a post office out let or you will just be giving your mony
away.
Old September 15th, 2012, 03:31 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Cruise Crazy

On the ships have been on the Customer Service desk had aooroptiate
stamps and were happy to mail them BUT it inot cheap. They have a
service charge for mailings You can usually find POs close to the port.
Just ask for a port map and they will be marked.

~~Doris~~

Old September 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 9/13/2012 6:45 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 9/13/2012 3:21 PM, Sandy wrote:
Is it possible to send post cards from the cruise ships to the US? If
so,
would they have the appropriate stamps on board or even post cards?
We would like to send post cards when we go on our European cruise
next year as that is the souvenirs that our friends would like.

If not, would it be possible to find post offices near the docs or do
you think if we paid someone of the cruise staff to mail them for us,
they would do so?

Sandy

Buy the post cards and mail them when you get home. Most likely you'll
have been home a month before anyone gets them anyway.

Some souvenir shops will have local postage stamps available and will
mail the postcards for you, but don't count on finding too many.

Asking someone to do it for you will probably not work.

I would make an effort to find a post office in the port so your post
cards have the foreign stamps and postmark. I would not ask someone else
to do it for you, that could have very poor results.

It wasn't quite Europe, but last year when we went on a cruise before
the holidays, we brought our holiday cards with us and mailed them at
the post office in San Juan. I thought it would be cute to have the PR
postmark. Sadly, I think only one person noticed it (at least only one
person mentioned it).

Bill
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:43 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Carol Eskra

LOL@ packing xmas cards to mail out of the country! Seeing a foreign
post mark would not impress me!

Old September 17th, 2012, 04:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 9/16/2012 7:43 PM, Carol Eskra wrote:
LOL@ packing xmas cards to mail out of the country! Seeing a foreign
post mark would not impress me!

Then I guess it's a good thing I don't send you one! And I didn't do it
to impress people, I just thought it would different.

Also, Puerto Rico is not out of the country.

Bill

Old September 20th, 2012, 04:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jr.[_6_]

"Bill" wrote in message ...

On 9/16/2012 7:43 PM, Carol Eskra wrote:
LOL@ packing xmas cards to mail out of the country! Seeing a foreign
post mark would not impress me!

Then I guess it's a good thing I don't send you one! And I didn't do it
to impress people, I just thought it would different.

Also, Puerto Rico is not out of the country.

Bill

If you don't think it is out of the country, talk to your insurance agent
about whether they will pay for health claims.
It is definitely out of the country. Might be owned by us but not "in" the
country.

Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:41 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 9/21/2012 1:34 PM, Jaap wrote:
Puerto Rico is still part of USA, maybe your heath insurance sees it
as out of network but it is not a foreign country.

Yes, and my USPS postage stamp worked just fine there.