Airside security check at FRA

Old April 5th, 2006, 07:33 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Airside security check at FRA

When I made a connection af Frankfurt from a Lufthansa filght at one of
the A gates to a United flight at one of the C gates, I had to go
through an air side security check point. Or, at least, it never felt
like I left the secured areas. Why did they do this? Was it just a
ploy to reduce German unemployment, or do passengers arriving on LH
present more of a risk?

Old April 5th, 2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air

wrote:
When I made a connection af Frankfurt from a Lufthansa filght at one of
the A gates to a United flight at one of the C gates, I had to go
through an air side security check point.

Where did you come from?

Regards
Matthias
Old April 5th, 2006, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Matthias van Henk wrote:
Where did you come from?

Heathrow, but the check point looked permanent, and anyone going from
the A gates to the C gates would have been intercepted.

Old April 6th, 2006, 03:47 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Till Kinstler wrote:
But additional checks for transiting passengers arriving from outside
Europe seem to be common on european Airports nowadays as well.

These explanations do not quite make sense for me, but who said that
the security procedures needed to be logical? Passengers connecting
from on LH flight to another LH flight could have gone from one A gate
to another A gate, and these paseengers would not have been subjected
to the additional secuirty check. Similarly for passengers going from
one of the C gates to another C gate. I was not really paying close
attention, but it is possible that there was no air side security check
for going from C to A.

Old April 6th, 2006, 09:00 PM posted to rec.travel.air

Heathrow, but the check point looked permanent, and anyone going from
the A gates to the C gates would have been intercepted.

It is because you are leaving the schengen area. So if you are travelling
from Denmark to USA via FRA you will be checked at FRA (again). Within
Schengen, you will only be checked at departure airport.

Kennet

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Pernille og Kennet Föh wrote:
It is because you are leaving the schengen area.

It was a security check, not an immigration check. They were not
checking for passports or other identification.

Old April 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM posted to rec.travel.air

While I have no idea about FRA in particular, I just went through AMS
and every gate (that I went through and/or walked past) had individual
security. Basically AMS seemed to be saying "fine, you just got off a
plane, we're not sure we trust the airport you came from." This also
allows them to apply country specific checks to things (think USA and
knives).

cheers

bruce

--
It's not really that bad, There is no other (economic) choice, I don't know
about that, There's nothing we can do about that. - Dave Pollard

Bruce O'Neel -
http://homepage.iprolink.ch/~bioneel/beo/beo.html - daily stuff
Old April 8th, 2006, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.air

nobody wrote:

Going though security between connecting intl flights is not uncommon.

Agreed. Happens in Japan even on refueling stops and occasionally in Singapore,
depending on the origin of the flight.